Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Deja Vu - Martz named Lions OC

http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=443049

I think they're sure about it this time.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Deja Vu - Martz named Lions OC

Good for him. I think it will be a good fit. He's got some young talent there with a lot of potential. They should improve immediately.

Of course, they'll need to address the QB position one way or another. I wonder which QB Martz favors in the draft. Will he go for a 1st rounder?
    Last edited by viper; -02-08-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Martz takes Lions job
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/08/2006

Former Rams head coach Mike Martz
    (Chris Lee/P-D)

This time, it’s official: Mike Martz is heading for Detroit, where he will be new head coach Rod Marinelli’s offensive coordinator.

Martz, head coach of the Rams for six seasons before he was fired last month, also will coach the Lions’ quarterbacks.

After agreeing to accept the coordinator’s position last week, Martz abruptly withdrew from consideration, explaining that he and the Lions were unable to agree on contract terms.

But the Lions persisted, and late Wednesday afternoon, the team announced that Martz would join Marinelli’s staff.

Contract terms could not be immediately determined. The hiring was confirmed on the Lions' official Web site (www.detroitlions.com).

Marinelli said of Martz last week, "Obviously we know what (Martz) can do with the football, but he is a winner. He is a champion."

Martz, 54, posted a 54-33 record with four postseason berths in his first five seasons as the Rams’ head coach.

The team was 2-3 this past season when Martz was stricken with endocarditis, a bacterial infection of a heart valve, and was forced to the sideline for the rest of the season. The Rams finished 6-10 under interim head coach Joe Vitt.

On Jan. 20, Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was hired as the Rams’ new head coach.

Best of luck coach

RealRam is offline Registered User

Show those lions how to fly, Coach! Best wishes. :angryram:

Truth is offline Registered User

Although I wish Coach Martz all the best, I can't help but feeling that there will be quite a bit of unrest with the Lions. They are as dysfunctional (if not worse) than the Rams. They have a revolving door in the HC department. I smell trouble.

I'm just not convinced MM's ego will permit him to take a back seat to the HC. There might be a bit of sniping going on before long. MM is aiming for the top job, not the OC position. Mark my words. This is going to be very interesting.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper
    Good for him. I think it will be a good fit. He's got some young talent there with a lot of potential. They should improve immediately.

Of course, they'll need to address the QB position one way or another. I wonder which QB Martz favors in the draft. Will he go for a 1st rounder?

we could trade him fitz...lol

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

After agreeing to accept the coordinator’s position last week, Martz abruptly withdrew from consideration, explaining that he and the Lions were unable to agree on contract terms.
    FoxSports is reporting that Martz wanted a clause in the contract that would allow him out after 1 year if he wanted. The Lions wanted more years, and the two parties agreed on three.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

Standard if job higher

Isn't it standard in most contracts that if the new job is a higher rank than the current job then the contract doesn't hold a coach (e.g. an OC to a HC). If so, that would mean that they didn't want Martz leaving for another OC job. Do I have that right - or can they stop him from leaving for a HC job?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Standard if job higher

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Isn't it standard in most contracts that if the new job is a higher rank than the current job then the contract doesn't hold a coach (e.g. an OC to a HC). If so, that would mean that they didn't want Martz leaving for another OC job. Do I have that right - or can they stop him from leaving for a HC job?
    I, like you, always thought moving up was an automatic out. So maybe, they didn't want him leaving for any other reason. In Detroit, they probably have to worry about EVERYONE leaving at first chance.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Great posts, I agree with all of it. The Lions den is a mess and will be for a while.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRam!
    we could trade him fitz...lol
    I'm sure he would like to have Fitz, but I think we should keep him. Now Smoker is another thing...hmmm.