Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Re: Didn't we all see this coming?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I don't see the problem with him waiting. He and the Pack agreed that he would take his time. It's not like the Pack set a date for his answer and he refused.
    Actually, they did set a date for a decision, but after it came and went (a couple of times, I think) Brett said "What are they going to do, cut me?" and the FO just blew it off, saying it wasn't a deadline, it was just sort of... a date.

I think it is a very big problem for the Packers, and I think both sides are equally at fault. The GM needs to grow a pair, but he also needs to help his team by getting players, something he has proven to be unwilling to do. He wants to build through the draft -- that's fine, but that's not the only resource available to teams wanting to build. And to intentionally not use all the resources available is just plain irresponsible.

I can see why Brett might be waiting, but it's not as if he has to read tea leaves to figure out that the Packers aren't going to acquire players by FA or trade. So I think he's playing the Packers, Packers fans, and the media for all the juice he can get out of this. (Wasn't he the one that called the press conference? If so, that was pretty crappy of him to call it and then tell them they wasted a trip.)

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    Actually, they did set a date for a decision, but after it came and went (a couple of times, I think) Brett said "What are they going to do, cut me?" and the FO just blew it off, saying it wasn't a deadline, it was just sort of... a date.

I think it is a very big problem for the Packers, and I think both sides are equally at fault. The GM needs to grow a pair, but he also needs to help his team by getting players, something he has proven to be unwilling to do. He wants to build through the draft -- that's fine, but that's not the only resource available to teams wanting to build. And to intentionally not use all the resources available is just plain irresponsible.

I can see why Brett might be waiting, but it's not as if he has to read tea leaves to figure out that the Packers aren't going to acquire players by FA or trade. So I think he's playing the Packers, Packers fans, and the media for all the juice he can get out of this. (Wasn't he the one that called the press conference? If so, that was pretty crappy of him to call it and then tell them they wasted a trip.)
    Quote From Peter King @CNNSI

Favre, as everyone knows, was very close at the end of the season to walking away and retiring. But he thought he should be fair to himself, his family and the team, to let the season sink in and take some time before making such a big decision. The Packers said, "Take your time. No deadline from us.'' Favre then went about the decision the same way he did last year: hang around at home, play some golf, relax, cut the grass, think some more and then make up his mind. That's what he's doing right now. And if the Packers wanted a decision by a certain date -- I believe they did -- then they're going back on their word, which was "Take your time, we don't want to pressure you."

"If you think about it, why do the Packers need a decision from Favre before the post-draft, full-squad minicamp in May? Were they going to go out and try to sign a big-name veteran like Jon Kitna to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job? No. That's not GM Ted Thompson's style."

"Favre's comment about being cut: I can only imagine, because I haven't talked to him, that he's chafing at the pressure he perceives he's getting from the team to make a decision. And if the team told him to go away and make his decision and didn't ever put a timetable on it, and now the Packers are putting a timetable on it ... well, then I'd be a little peeved too." end of quote.

So basically the Pack told him to take his time, they didn't think he would take this long, so now they are backpedalling. So again I say how is that Favre's fault?
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

I'm not really arguing against what you're saying. There was a date mentioned, but whether Brett ever agreed to it or not I have no way of knowing. If there are different accounts of that, then it's a he-said-she-said thing. I can see where the Packers might have told him to take his time with the mentioned date still reasonably far off in the future. I don't know.

What I DO know is thatwhat was Brett's fault was calling a press conference, and then telling the reporters that he wasn't making any new announcements and that they wasted a trip.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't like the whole "production" this has become, some Favre's fault, some media fault and some Pack fault. I look at it like this, if the Pack told him to take his time, no deadline then it should be left at that. The fact that the Pack and the media have made a big deal out of this, I can see why Favre is pissed and maybe he called the press conference to be a smart ass because he is pissed off. Again not the way to go about it, but I can see why he's pissed. I don't even like the guy but I think he is getting a raw deal because the Pack never originally set a deadline.

I don't see how it's a raw deal, but nonetheless, if they wanted to, they could set one right now -- just tell Brett, "We're going to need a decision by the end of April" or something like that. End of confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    I don't see how it's a raw deal, but nonetheless, if they wanted to, they could set one right now -- just tell Brett, "We're going to need a decision by the end of April" or something like that. End of confusion.
    I mean a raw deal in the media and by some fans. I don't think he's at fault.

I mean a raw deal in the media and by some fans. I don't think he's at fault.
    OK, I gotcha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12