Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Disappointed by draft position, Geno Smith fires agents

Rambos is offline Registered User

Disappointed by draft position, Geno Smith fires agents

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports

Geno Smith thought he would be a top-10 draft pick, maybe even first overall. Instead, he went in the second round.

And now apparently, his agents have paid the price.

Smith has fired his representatives and will now hire a new agent, according to a person informed of Smith's move. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because neither Smith nor his former agents have commented publicly on the matter, said a big part of the reason for Smith's decision was his going 39th overall to the New York Jets.

Smith declined to discuss the move in an interview on NFL Sirius radio.

"I don't want to shed too much light on it," he said. "The thing that I can tell you is that it's not because of the whole draft experience. It's not because of one particular incident. There's a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now, I don't feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.

"First and foremost, I want to make it known that I was never bitter about where I was selected because it's a great selection. Whether it was number one or the last pick, I was coming in with the right mentality, and that's to get better and compete daily. I'm extremely ecstatic to be a part of the Jets organization."

"I'm not bitter about where I was selected, because I'm on a great team and I'm in a great position," he said.

But the move, so soon after the draft, raises questions about whether Smith will be able to deal with the New York media and the adversity that comes with playing under the scrutiny of the largest sports media market in the world.

The person, who confirmed the initial report by Sports Business Journal that Smith had fired Select Sports Group, said Smith's former agents informed him throughout the process there was a chance he would drop.

Smith, in attendance at the draft, sat through the first round as he went undrafted. He said he wouldn't return Friday for the second round, but did, and, in a surprise pick, was selected by the Jets, who already were choking on quarterbacks.

The only quarterback taken in the first round was E.J. Manuel, who went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 16 overall. Rumblings ahead of the draft had the Bills as a potential landing spot for Smith with the eighth pick, which they wound up trading to the Rams. However, Buffalo's interest in Manuel was a well-kept secret.

Under the new CBA, there isn't much wiggle room for rookies to negotiate their deals, so the change in agents won't have much effect on talks between him and the Jets. Last year, the 39th overall pick (Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins) signed a four-year, $4.99 million deal.

If Smith had been selected in Round 1, his contract would be worth, at minimum, $6.7 million with roughly $5.4 million guaranteed.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-30-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Re: Disappointed by draft position, Geno Smith fires agents

Nick, slap me around set me straight... but I have to say I'm starting to worry about Geno being the QB of the Jets. Not an easy gig to say the least.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I was happy to see him drafted early on the second day, but I think it's a disaster of a situation. He doesn't have a lot of weapons to help him out, and he's going to be rushed into a situation where he'll be under the microscope moreso than most NFL QBs because of the market. I wish him luck, but I don't think it's a good situation for him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was happy to see him drafted early on the second day, but I think it's a disaster of a situation. He doesn't have a lot of weapons to help him out, and he's going to be rushed into a situation where he'll be under the microscope moreso than most NFL QBs because of the market. I wish him luck, but I don't think it's a good situation for him.
    I'm sure he'd kill to be Bradford right now. Austin and Bailey MADE him at WV.

Why Did Geno Smith Really Fire His Agents?
    Barry Petchesky
    Deadspin.com
    Today 2:35pm

Geno Smith fell to the second round of the NFL draft, 39th overall. It wasn't unfathomable, but it was toward the most pessimistic end of the most pessimistic projections. Then, weird stuff happened: Smith fired his agents. His agents went to the media, anonymously claiming that Smith was disappointed he didn't go first overall. Now, it gets even weirder: the ex-agents have issued a statement putting further blame on Smith, and did so "in response to" the reports based on their own leaks.

It started with the Daily News, though Smith's ex-agents at the Select Sports Group approached a number of reporters with the story that Smith fired them because he "thought he would be and should be" the No. 1 pick. Smith denied that during a radio interview, saying "it’s not because of one particular incident, there are a number of things," and indicated his willingness to let the issue go.

Then, last night, Smith's ex-agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt issued a statement to Pro Football Talk, doubling down on the "Smith was disappointed by his draft position" narrative. This is strange for a number of reasons: players change representation all the time, and both sides usually keep it quiet (Browns receiver Josh Gordon fired Select Sports three weeks ago, and no statement was released by either side); Nalley and Burkhardt were giving a public comment in response to their own private comments, not to Smith; Florio oddly headlined the story "Geno Smith’s former agents wish him the best."

The statement:

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects. The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

We spoke to a person close to Geno Smith, because while a player switching agencies isn't unique, it's often done for interesting reasons. Our source says that while Select Sports "absolutely told Geno he'd go No. 1," that was at the beginning of their partnership, and it's par for the course for agents to promise their clients the world. Smith is less bothered by that promise, the person says, than by Nalley and Burkhardt attempting to portray it as the sole reason for his move.

Smith, we're told, was more upset that Select Sports handled him like a potential high pick, failing to do the sorts of things that could have improved his draft position. Our source says Smith wanted to take part in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for talent looking to move up, but his agents convinced him to skip it. When Pro Football Weekly issued a scathing scouting report, calling Smith "not committed or focused" and deriding his "marginal work ethic," Smith was disappointed that his agents did nothing to combat the negative press it created, our source says.

Smith also felt betrayed, perhaps unfairly, when Jeff Nalley had two of his quarterback clients sign with teams that might have been landing spots for Smith—Chase Daniel in Kansas City and Kevin Kolb in Buffalo. (This argument doesn't hold much water after the Bills traded down to take E.J. Manuel.)

Our source—and, remember, this is someone from Smith's camp talking—claims Smith came to terms with his potential draft plunge weeks before the draft, and takes the blame for not being as polished a prospect as he could have been, both on and off the field. We openly speculated on some of the pre-draft preparation an agent gives a player, but the person close to Smith says he didn't make his call based on that, or on not going No. 1. "He just felt like he needed a change, and that's the end of the story," the person says. Which means it's clearly just the beginning.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Here's more, and it's not very flattering :

Geno Smith's firing of agents, pre-draft actions shed light on why QB may have dropped

Jason Cole
    Yahoo Sports
    4 hours ago..

Less than a week after the New York Jets picked Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL draft, the quarterback is still under great scrutiny in league circles.

Reports surfaced Tuesday that Smith fired agents Jeff Nalley and Eric Burkhardt of Select Sports Group. While Smith has publicly denied that it had anything to do with his falling out of the draft's first round last week, there are indications to the contrary.

On April 23, Smith, his agents, some family members and several friends gathered for dinner in New York in advance of the draft, a gathering confirmed by a family member. At one point, everyone around the table stood to give a toast to celebrate the evening.

Smith went last, thanking everyone and declaring that entire group – his agents included – were a "family" that would stay together his entire career, if not the rest of his life, the sources said. Smith, who at one point was expecting to be the No. 1 overall pick and at least a top 10 selection, has big plans for his career. Smith, according to the sources, hopes to emulate players such as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, putting himself cut above the rest of the quarterback fray.

The problem is that NFL types see a guy who, right now, doesn't understand how to get there.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

When Smith was asked on a radio show Tuesday about firing his agents, he claimed the decision wasn't based on when he was drafted. When pressed, however, he didn't give a reason.

"I don't want to shed too much light on it," Smith told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "The thing that I can tell you is that it's not because of the whole draft experience. It's not because of one particular incident. There's a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now I don't feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it."

Smith did not respond to Yahoo! Sports' attempt to get a comment on the situation.

As for Select Sports, the firm issued a statement defending its work and wishing Smith well.

"We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," the firm said in its statement. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

"Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

One possible factor in Smith dropping to the second round is a concern about leadership.

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

Geno Smith threw for 4,205 yards for West Virginia last season. (Getty) "Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said.

Smith opened himself up to criticism when he told ESPN last Thursday that he wasn't sticking around for Friday's second round after getting bypassed in the first. Smith then changed his mind, saying Friday that he returned after his "supporters" convinced him to stay.

By Sunday, Smith was being convinced by other friends that it was the fault of his agents that he slipped so much in the draft, according to one of the sources.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.

Two of the sources said how Smith reacts to things could be a major factor for him as he tries to take over for Mark Sanchez in New York. The Jets clearly want to move on after four years with Sanchez, including a league-leading 52 turnovers over the past two seasons.

Here's more, and it's not very flattering :
    You are to kind sir. Man I don't know what to say, the Jets have to be concerned. It sure seems like there was some truth to the report that came out about Smith that was way over the top and seemed to be a personal attack.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

He's starting to remind me of Akili Smith. He seems to believe the hype way too much.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Since Friday night, I've come to believe that Smith's success was entirely the result of his stellar WRs at WVU.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    DE_Ramfan, citr92 and Elit.Fan like this.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

you gotta give out the impression that you are coachable if you want to be a 1st round pick. i thought he would have gone higher than he did as he seemed the best option to play QB in the style most OC`s and HC`s are looking for with his mobility etc..
    with all those yards he got i`d like to know how many yards he threw for if the YAC was deducted tho..seems to me like alot of his passes on the little i saw of him were short ones that Tavon and Stedman took for long ones.

i wonder if he`s actually more mad that he ended up going to the Jets than where he was drafted..KC were never gonna take him so 1st overall wasn`t gonna happen and he was never deemed good enough to warrant a big trade up to get him.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -05-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Haste is online now Registered User

My only concern is if his bad attitude has rubbed on Tavon and Bailey, but it doesn't seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    My only concern is if his bad attitude has rubbed on Tavon and Bailey, but it doesn't seem that way.
    Everything I've read says Austin and Bailey have great attitudes, unlike Smith. They've also both been described as having a great work ethic, and confident, fun loving swagger, without being arrogant. Apparently, they were nothing but positive in their time a WV.
    ZiaRam, Haste and citr92 like this.

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

ESPN New York reports at least one quarterback-needy team passed on Geno Smith in the top-ten picks because he displayed a "diva attitude" during a pre-draft visit.
    The report aligns with a recent one from Yahoo claiming Smith spent most of his time texting and tweeting on his cellphone during facility visits. "He's going to have a tough time in New York," predicted one NFC scout. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat." Once club official confirmed to ESPN New York that "the cellphone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith." Added one AFC exec, "One of his perceived weaknesses is working through adversity." Smith can make this all go away by playing well in football games.
    Source: ESPN New York
    May 3 - 4:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Everything I've read says Austin and Bailey have great attitudes, unlike Smith. They've also both been described as having a great work ethic, and confident, fun loving swagger, without being arrogant. Apparently, they were nothing but positive in their time a WV.
    And as a WVU fan and alum who has followed all of these guys during their time in Morgantown, this is the first I can recall reading of Geno's supposed diva attitude. Which is why I'm a little bit suspicious.

Really, there wasn't any talk about anything like this until that PFW piece came out. Then, it's as if it opened the door to blasting Geno. To be honest, I'm not sure I can recall a recent highly regarded prospect who has taken as much punishment from the media after being drafted like Geno has.

I hope he proves his critics wrong by becoming a success in New York, but I don't think they have a very good team built around the QB position, so I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And as a WVU fan and alum who has followed all of these guys during their time in Morgantown, this is the first I can recall reading of Geno's supposed diva attitude. Which is why I'm a little bit suspicious.
    That's interesting. If there was any indication of a problem with Smith, you'd think something would have been reported in his four years at WV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast