Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Disappointed by draft position, Geno Smith fires agents

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Disappointed by draft position, Geno Smith fires agents

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And as a WVU fan and alum who has followed all of these guys during their time in Morgantown, this is the first I can recall reading of Geno's supposed diva attitude. Which is why I'm a little bit suspicious.

Really, there wasn't any talk about anything like this until that PFW piece came out. Then, it's as if it opened the door to blasting Geno. To be honest, I'm not sure I can recall a recent highly regarded prospect who has taken as much punishment from the media after being drafted like Geno has.

I hope he proves his critics wrong by becoming a success in New York, but I don't think they have a very good team built around the QB position, so I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles.
    It's possible the problems didn't really arise until the draft process started. Maybe Smith just got a big head or had some idea that his selection was wrapped up so he didn't have to try. We'll never really know what happened with those interviews, or if it is all just made up.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    It's possible the problems didn't really arise until the draft process started. Maybe Smith just got a big head or had some idea that his selection was wrapped up so he didn't have to try. We'll never really know what happened with those interviews, or if it is all just made up.
    That's entirely possible, though it seemed like the PFW piece was based off of college characterizations that, again, I'd never heard much of anything about. And it all kind of snowballed from that write-up.

Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. Anyways, I hope Geno responds by proving his detractors wrong. I always enjoy seeing WVU players do well in the pros.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

An interesting take from NFL.com writer Marc Sessler :

Smith has been squeaky clean off the field, but who could guess from the snowstorm of criticism he's facing? After all, it takes little courage for anonymous scouts to pile on a player who hasn't taken a professional snap.

It takes plenty of courage to endure it.

Axing agents good audible by Geno
    Jen Floyd Engel
    Fox Sports
    Updated May 3, 2013 1:23 AM ET

The dog pile on Geno Smith is growing, and circling back.

It started with Pro Football Weekly’s Nolan Nawrocki and his scathing scouting takedown, which identified Smith as an uncommitted, unfocused love child of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks. This was followed by Smith freefalling into Day 2 of the draft and the New York Jets. Then he fired his agents, and his agents fired back in a cranky release.

Now a few anonymous NFL execs have jumped on this pile, with tales of Smith's idiocy. And this has led a few to conclude that race-baiting Nawrocki had a point.

So, all in all, this has been a pretty crappy run for Smith which seems crazy to me. He finally is making good decisions — starting with firing his agents.

Say for a second that every single anonymous tale of Smith texting and reading Twitter while visiting NFL teams pre-draft is true. Say he does not get it. Say the anonymous execs in this Yahoo column by Jason Cole nailed him word for word with:

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

This is why players pay agents, why they give non-players 3 to 4 percent of their money. It is not only to negotiate the contract. It is to tell them the truth. It is to say, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” It is to say, “You might not go first, you might not go in the first round, so, maybe let’s think about watching this draft anywhere except the green room at Radio City.”

Maybe firing his agents, instead of proof of his idiocy, actually points to growth in Smith. He should be able to fire his agents for whatever reasons he wants. And if anybody looks childish in this, it is his ex-agents Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley and their “statement” about getting dumped. Who does that? No, really, who releases this?

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” they said in a release to Pro Football Talk. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

This is BS. If they really wished him the best, they would have quietly parted away. Nor is this proof of idiocy, this firing of agents. This actually seems like a guy taking responsibility for his role, whatever it was, in freefalling on draft day. Smith seems to be becoming well aware of what he does not know and is looking to surround himself with people willing to tell him.

This is not idiocy. This is actually smart. And it is time for the dog pile to break up.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Axing agents good audible by Geno
    Jen Floyd Engel
    Fox Sports
    Updated May 3, 2013 1:23 AM ET

The dog pile on Geno Smith is growing, and circling back.

It started with Pro Football Weekly’s Nolan Nawrocki and his scathing scouting takedown, which identified Smith as an uncommitted, unfocused love child of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks. This was followed by Smith freefalling into Day 2 of the draft and the New York Jets. Then he fired his agents, and his agents fired back in a cranky release.

Now a few anonymous NFL execs have jumped on this pile, with tales of Smith's idiocy. And this has led a few to conclude that race-baiting Nawrocki had a point.

So, all in all, this has been a pretty crappy run for Smith which seems crazy to me. He finally is making good decisions — starting with firing his agents.

Say for a second that every single anonymous tale of Smith texting and reading Twitter while visiting NFL teams pre-draft is true. Say he does not get it. Say the anonymous execs in this Yahoo column by Jason Cole nailed him word for word with:

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

This is why players pay agents, why they give non-players 3 to 4 percent of their money. It is not only to negotiate the contract. It is to tell them the truth. It is to say, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” It is to say, “You might not go first, you might not go in the first round, so, maybe let’s think about watching this draft anywhere except the green room at Radio City.”

Maybe firing his agents, instead of proof of his idiocy, actually points to growth in Smith. He should be able to fire his agents for whatever reasons he wants. And if anybody looks childish in this, it is his ex-agents Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley and their “statement” about getting dumped. Who does that? No, really, who releases this?

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” they said in a release to Pro Football Talk. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

This is BS. If they really wished him the best, they would have quietly parted away. Nor is this proof of idiocy, this firing of agents. This actually seems like a guy taking responsibility for his role, whatever it was, in freefalling on draft day. Smith seems to be becoming well aware of what he does not know and is looking to surround himself with people willing to tell him.

This is not idiocy. This is actually smart. And it is time for the dog pile to break up.
    So Nick I know this is off subject but since we are talking a lot about WVU football and all what do you think about all their uniforms they wear? Watching all the highlights of Austin and Stedman I really love all their combos they wear similar to the Ducks. Think I like the gray helmet/gray jersey and white pants the most.

I like most of them, to be honest. The old gold and blue is a classic look, but it's nice to have some variations as well. Anxious to see the new ones this year in action.
    ZiaRam likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The connection between the Rams and WVU dates back to the cleveland rams era, when Rams player (and then coach) Art "Pappy" Lewis, went on to coach the WVU squad for many years throughout the 1950's winning several conference titles. By the way, if anyone of you local fans around WVU run into Art Lewis autographs for sale, please let me know. It's a tough signature.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12