View Poll Results: If Warner retired today, should he be considered/accepted into Canton?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he deserves consideration and enshrinement because of what he accomplished in his career.

56 66.67%
  • He should be considered, but I don't think he's worthy of being enshrined.

14 16.67%
  • Kurt Warner should neither be enshrined or considered as a Hall of Fame player based on his career thus far.

9 10.71%
  • I'm undecided on the issue.

5 5.95%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

This was brought up on a few other football message boards I used to post at, and I thought perhaps it might make an interesting discussion topic here now that the Rams-era of Warner's career is over.

Some have suggested that what Warner has done in his career as a starter makes him worthy of consideration for the NFL Hall of Fame. As we all probably know, Warner boasts the highest quarterback rating of any QB to ever play the game (based on a minimum of 1,500 attempts), and few would disagree that what Kurt and the Rams offense did from '99-'01 was nothing short of amazing.

But do you feel that he's accomplished enough in his career to be worthy of consideration for the NFL Hall of Fame?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

No way. A Hall of Fame career must be built on sustained excellence over a prolonged period of time. The only notable exceptions are Gale Sayers and Dwight Stephenson, who both had careers cut short by injury. But even they had runs of longer than three years.

Warner deserves to one day be placed on the Rams' Ring of Honor for his contributions to the team, but he's not a Hall of Famer.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think he needs to put up 3 more solid years before he has a shot. I think he's got about 5 years left barring major injury, but he's not going to be a shoe-in unless he wins another Super Bowl.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm still not convinced Warner isn't a system QB. To me, this is where the rubber meets road for Warner. If he can be successful, not necessarily put up GSOT numbers but successful, then I'll be convinced.

I mean, teams weren't exactly beating down his door to get him before the Rams.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not yet but he will be, and TX bro tell me what QB is not in a system.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

c'mon Rambos, you know what I mean. We'll see. Honestly, I hope so. I hope he can play in multiple systems. I just have to be convinced. He had a great three years. Hope he finds that magic in a bottle again.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

Since this is probably the only HOF ballot that I will ever receive; I voted yes.

Hey, he meets all of my expectations for a HOF QB.

1) He was a Ram

2) SB Ring

3) Two time league MVP

4) Tough as nails in the pocket

Since you asked a Rams fan, all I can say is:

What more could a Rams fan ask for?

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Tough to come up with a concrete answer. I honestly didn't think Dickerson would be shoo-in for the HOF because he basically disappeared once he left the RAMS. I thought he was a HOFer because he was a RAM but I didn't think he'd get in on the first ballot. He had maybe two or three good seasons with the Colts then he was just a role player with the Raiders and Falcons. Of course with what he accomplished with the RAMS that helped him make a run at Jim Brown. He had most of his yards already before he left the RAMS.

As for Warner if he even has some seasons I think he can put up the numbers to get in. We should be talking about what we think Warner needs to make it in instead of can he. He has one SB ring, good enough, many HOF QB's don't have rings or have only one. He has about 14500 yards at this point, IMO he needs at least 30000. He has 102 TD now, he needs at least another 100, and I think he can maintain his status as the highest rated QB. If he has five decent years of 3000 yards and 20 TD it's not impossible to think he would go into the HOF. But that's a big IF

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The only notable exceptions are Gale Sayers and Dwight Stephenson, who both had careers cut short by injury. But even they had runs of longer than three years.
    AR,

What if we do find out that KW is "done" and the reason for that is multiple hand injuries?

I think he deserves consideration, but that is partly due to Rams bias. Unfortunately, the short three year run will probably keep him out...
    This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As I said, Sayers and Stephenson had considerably longer runs than Warner.

As for the comparison to Dickerson... ED had seven seasons with 1,200 + yards (4 with the Rams, 3 with the Colts) and 3 of those were 1,800 +, including the record breaking 2,105. He also had 13,259 rushing yards for his career, which is more than both O.J. Simpson and Jim Brown. Not sure how anyone could say he wasn't a "shoe-in" for the Hall.

Warner will not make it, and neither will other players that had short lived, albeit spectacular, runs. For example, Terrell Davis, despite being one of only five backs in league history to go over 2,000 yards, probably won't make it because his run was cut short by injury... and Davis would arguably (at this point) be a better candidate than Warner.

Like I said... put him on the Ring of Honor, but he's not going to make the Hall.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

At this moment, yes. He might ruin my vote though if he comes back ans is not successful and wasn't able to see his own demise. If he makes a come back in this league, and at least puts up respectable numbers I say yes. If he comes back and plays like he did for the past 2 years and is unable to see the writing on the wall I say no.

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

AV, plenty of great players do not get in on the first ballot. I never said Dickerson did not belong, I just though his later years might hold him back. In my mind Jack Youngblood was a shoo-in but it took him longer to get in than it took for Dickerson.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Warner's future will probably determine if he gets in.

But you do have to take into consideration this: If someone hit the most home runs in a season, would you not HAVE to consider that person for the Baseball HOF? Regardless of their other stats or longevity?

If a running back had the most yards from scrimmage in a single season on their resume, you have HAVE to at least consider that person for that accomplishment. - ED.

Warners 3 years were record breaking. If he had broke Marino's single season record for TD's (47?) in '99 I think that year alone would make him a consideration. Unfortunately he didn't, but the multiple records he set are impressive. Also, who else from this time period should get in if not him?

Favre..definitely.
    Rice... fo sure.
    Emmitt Smith...probably will be eligible a few years before Warner.
    Chris Carter...maybe, again he's already out of the game.

Other than a few lineman, I think Warner's name should be up there right after these guys.

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

I think if Warner can put together 3 more solid years - they don't have to be stellar, just solid as a starter - he's got a shot. If he doesn't do this, he will forever be as much remembered for his fall as he is his ascent.
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

well at least i know that one scenario wont happen...warner signs with kc...trent green goes down in the pre season and warner wins a superbowl...at that point i think trent green would just shoot himself...once was enough

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast