View Poll Results: If Warner retired today, should he be considered/accepted into Canton?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he deserves consideration and enshrinement because of what he accomplished in his career.

56 66.67%
  • He should be considered, but I don't think he's worthy of being enshrined.

14 16.67%
  • Kurt Warner should neither be enshrined or considered as a Hall of Fame player based on his career thus far.

9 10.71%
  • I'm undecided on the issue.

5 5.95%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

Hall of Fame voters are all over the map, you never know what they are going to do. They love class acts and great stories to go with great performances, and Warner has all of those. He has more than enough accomplishments, but without the consistent play over a number of years, the odds are against him. 2 or 3 more good years would really make things interesting.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The question of the poll was whether Kurt would be Hall-worthy IF HE RETIRED TODAY...

No way, no how.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

He is not Hall-worthy at this moment, IMO
    UtterBlitz

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The question of the poll was whether Kurt would be Hall-worthy IF HE RETIRED TODAY...

No way, no how.
    Well, the question also asks if he could even be considered if he retired today.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

This discussion got me to thinking, so I took an extended tour of the Pro-Football HOF web site. I was basically looking for criteria for HOF candidates. I really didn't find any. Warner could become a candidate if he retired now. I won't go into the process, but he could get on the ballet. There is a board member from each NFL city and several at large members who do the voting on candidates. What criteria these board members use still escapes me. Anyways, if a candidate gets an 80% or higher vote from the board, then he is enshrined.

I find it odd that so many are against Pete Rose getting into the Baseball HOF for his off field actions. Many feel his on-field credentials are worthy of election, but they can't get past the off-field gambling and subsequent lies. I am not aware of any sports figure ever being removed from a sports HOF for off-field activities, yet Rose can't get in because of off-field issues. I mention Rose simply because I am questioning the criteria for enshrinement. There seems to be more involved than just what or was not accomplished on the field. This leads me to believe that these HOFs are really somewhat hypocritical and biased and therfore tainted in their own existence.

*Interesting note for many of our members here at ClanRam.

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch is the board member for St. Louis.

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I find it odd that so many are against Pete Rose getting into the Baseball HOF for his off field actions.
    I know this is a bit fftopic: but technically, Rose can't even be nominated. It's not that the nominators won't nominate him because of his off-field actions, but rather they can't because he was banned fromn baseball. Once the ban is lifted (I would think it will be eventually) he will be inducted on the first ballot, I'm sure.

OK, so it's way fftopic: .
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Warner could become a candidate if he retired now.
    And FYI, if Warner retired this year, he will be eligible in 2009. Players must wait five years after they leave the game before nomination.

Smile Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

Deacon you are correct, Rose could become eligible if the ban were lifted, but he is not a lock to be voted in by the baseball writers association, because of his off-field actions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeacon
    And FYI, if Warner retired this year, he will be eligible in 2009. Players must wait five years after they leave the game before nomination.
    Correct again.

I realize a player must be retired for five years. I stated that I wouldn't go into details about the eligibility process. I said Warner "could become" a candidate if he retired now. "COULD BECOME" being the key words. That does not mean that he is eligible the moment he retires. Reading it again I can understand how that could be confusing and I apologize for the way that I worded the statement.
    Last edited by Curly Horns; -06-04-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Shoot, I hope I didn't come off sounding like a know-it-all. I really wasn't intending to correct you as much as add some detail.

(Of course, looking like a know-most-of-it-all ain't so bad.)

No, not at all Deacon.

I just wanted to clarify what I wrote. Sometimes I word things in a confusing manner. One of the great things about our site is the input from a wide variety of Rams fans. Everyone here has something to give and I am constantly gaining knowledge from this fine collection of Rams fans.

ClanRam Rocks!!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Much to Avenger's chagrine...Kurt Warner will be in the Hall of Fame...count on it. Not based solely on his years with the Rams....but that combined with his yet-to-be accomplishments.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

I would like to see what and where he accomplishes this year and next as I wonder if he is nothing but a short term tutor for Eli this year. But if Eli gets hurt then it could be a great fit for KW but with the investment that the 'ants made for Eli, KW will either be on the bench or with another team for '05 IMO. I do not see Eli enduring what Steve Young had to with the whiners pining away on the bench.

If considered for present success: no, a couple more years of success:yes
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yodude, why do you think I would mind if Kurt made the Hall one day? The question was whether he's accomplished enough to date to merit consideration, and I said that I do not believe he has.

If Kurt does well enough with the Giants or some other team to one day make the Hall of Fame, my primary reaction will be surprise.

My bet is that he'll do okay, but not great, playing for the Giants this year, but that they will have Eli Manning starting by year's end. If his performance is good enough, he might find that another team would be interested in signing him as a starter, and he can do that by voiding his contract. He might have a decent year or two, but in the end, his glory days will likely still be 1999-2001.

I say this not because I have something against Kurt, I just don't think he has enough left to regain his superstar form.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Warner situation reminds me of the Bill Walton siuation in the NBA. Walton had a few great years, then plodded through the rest of his career fighting injuries, then helped Boston win a title as a sixth man, then got inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Don't count out Warner's Hall of Fame chances.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Yodude, why do you think I would mind if Kurt made the Hall one day?

I really don't....just playing the role of pot-stirrer....much as you did during most of the QB contraversy.

As far as the question...I guess I misread it...I thought it was a prediction on whether or not he would make it at the end of his career. I know his career hasn't been very long or consistant, but he has accomplished as much or more than some who are enshrined.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast