View Poll Results: If Warner retired today, should he be considered/accepted into Canton?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he deserves consideration and enshrinement because of what he accomplished in his career.

56 66.67%
  • He should be considered, but I don't think he's worthy of being enshrined.

14 16.67%
  • Kurt Warner should neither be enshrined or considered as a Hall of Fame player based on his career thus far.

9 10.71%
  • I'm undecided on the issue.

5 5.95%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

Avenger is a huge Warner hater and I wish I knew why. What has Kurt done? He only won us a SB.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you guys really got me didn't you?

Oh, wait... I just noticed something. My initial response on this thread was made on June 2, 2004. Clearly, four and one-half years later, my opinion could not have possibly changed as a result of Warner's play in recent years with the Cardinals.

Or could it have?

Let's see what I said (in a thread I started, by the way, on November 19, 2008):

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

This question has come up a lot with Kurt's MVP performance this year in Arizona. Certainly, Kurt's path to a potential HOF induction has differed from the typical path but, looking at it objectively, how does he rate?

Here are a few interesting stats I came up with:
    • Kurt has a higher career passer rating than many HOF QBs, including (just as examples) Dan Fouts, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman and Joe Namath.
    • Kurt has more TD passes and fewer interceptions than Aikman and Staubach had in their careers.
    • Kurt has more career passing yards than Staubach, and will pass Namath this year.
    • Kurt's completion percentage of 65.7 is better than all the HOF QBs listed above.
    If Kurt wins the MVP this year and wins a playoff game this year, I think his resume will be HOF-worthy even if he never plays again. Why he'd retire now, I have no idea. He can certainly play at a high level for another 2-3 years, thereby bringing his career totals to an undeniable HOF level.

So... is he a HOF player? Absolutely.

Only two questions:

1. Does he go in as a Ram, Giant or Cardinal?

2. What will Matt Leinart do?
    Yeah, I'm a huge Warner hater. Can't you tell by that post?

I know, its easier to take mindless shots at people than to actually pay attention to what they write. I forgive you. After all, isn't that what Kurt would do?

HornIt is offline Registered User

By the way, as an FYI, I've seen a few references as to what Warner would go into the Hall of Fame as. Would it be as a Ram or Cardinal?

Well, it would be neither. In the NFL, players don't go into the Hall of Fame under any particular team. That's baseball. Warner will go in as an NFL Hall of Fame QB ...period.

Now will there be more Ram's #13 or Cardinals #13 jerseys there for the induction? That's a good question.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    The HoF isn't about "compelling stories", it's about the best of the best. And Warner does not fit that description. The majority of his career has been fairly mediocre.
    Man, I'm trying to figure out how "fairly mediocre" Kurt Warner managed to finagle 4 trips to the Pro Bowl.

Sorry Brain Daddy, you're WAY off on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow, you guys really got me didn't you?

Oh, wait... I just noticed something. My initial response on this thread was made on June 2, 2004. Clearly, four and one-half years later, my opinion could not have possibly changed as a result of Warner's play in recent years with the Cardinals.

Or could it have?

Let's see what I said (in a thread I started, by the way, on November 19, 2008):

Yeah, I'm a huge Warner hater. Can't you tell by that post?

I know, its easier to take mindless shots at people than to actually pay attention to what they write. I forgive you. After all, isn't that what Kurt would do?
    WOW. You give me negative rep because I missed a topic you wrote 2 months ago?

You come off as a hater. For the most part, everything I have read by you regarding Warner is negative.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    By the way, as an FYI, I've seen a few references as to what Warner would go into the Hall of Fame as. Would it be as a Ram or Cardinal?

Well, it would be neither. In the NFL, players don't go into the Hall of Fame under any particular team. That's baseball. Warner will go in as an NFL Hall of Fame QB ...period.

Now will there be more Ram's #13 or Cardinals #13 jerseys there for the induction? That's a good question.
    I don't think he will get it unless the Cards win the SB. There are just too many voters that are saying he hasn't had the longevity to make it. I think that is ridiculous, but there it is.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    WOW. You give me negative rep because I missed a topic you wrote 2 months ago?
    No, I gave you negative rep for mischaracterizing me purely based on your own ignorance of my opinion.

You come off as a hater. For the most part, everything I have read by you regarding Warner is negative.
    Didn't we just establish that you have some substantial gaps in what you have read?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Man, I'm trying to figure out how "fairly mediocre" Kurt Warner managed to finagle 4 trips to the Pro Bowl.

Sorry Brain Daddy, you're WAY off on this one.
    3 trips to the Superbowl must be worth something. How many Superbowls did Joe Namath play in?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    3 trips to the Superbowl must be worth something. How many Superbowls did Joe Namath play in?
    Not as many as Warner.

If Joe Namath's induction isn't proof positive that HOF voters count compelling stories when making their decisions, nothing is.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not as many as Warner.

If Joe Namath's induction isn't proof positive that HOF voters count compelling stories when making their decisions, nothing is.
    What was so compelling about Namath? That he wore nylons?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What was so compelling about Namath? That he wore nylons?
    I think it was that he guaranteed to wear nylons.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Balzer and Peter King, two HOF voters, are on the record saying Warner needs 2 more good years to make the HOF. No matter what we think, say, or feel, the voters see it differently than most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Balzer and Peter King, two HOF voters, are on the record saying Warner needs 2 more good years to make the HOF. No matter what we think, say, or feel, the voters see it differently than most of us.
    Did they say this after what he did yesterday? As for the rest of those who vote, we really don't know what they think at this point but I'd be willing to bet when they look at everything Warner has done as of yesterday, he'd get the nod.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

There will always, be pros and cons.
    No matter, which way you look at it. In Kurt's career, going to the HOF!
    April Easter Bunnies!

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think all the dicussion that we, along with ESPN, FOX, and others, shows that he has already been given consideration. If they really didn't think he'd be in, we wouldn't be talking about it.
    Surely tearing apart Jim Johnson's "Best defense ever in the playoffs," counts for something as well, lol.
    Again, I still think he's in, but not as a 1st ballot or probably the first few. If he wins the SB I think he will on the verge of a possible 1st round (his playoff stats, including winning percentage and all that, are some of the best all time). If not, I think he will come back for another year to add more stats. I think if he had an average season that would put him above 200 TDs and 30,000 yards. Combine that with 2 MVPs, 1 SB MVP (possibility of more, but as said, if he wins the SB I really think he retires), a fine postseason record, and the fact that when he has played he has been one of the most dominating QBs ever, I just don't see how you can leave him in. Don't forget about if they look at NFL-Europe and AFL stats a bit, as they did with Warren Moon's CFL stats (they said they were not suppose to, but you'll see that most people said they couldn't help but look at them when deciding).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast