View Poll Results: If Warner retired today, should he be considered/accepted into Canton?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he deserves consideration and enshrinement because of what he accomplished in his career.

56 66.67%
  • He should be considered, but I don't think he's worthy of being enshrined.

14 16.67%
  • Kurt Warner should neither be enshrined or considered as a Hall of Fame player based on his career thus far.

9 10.71%
  • I'm undecided on the issue.

5 5.95%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Do you consider Kurt Warner Hall of Fame worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    *cough* Steve Young
    Have you seen how many very mediocre seasons your boy Steve Young had? Now I'm not saying he doesn't belong in the HOF, but using your measuring stick, he'd probably be on the outside looking in.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Consistency. He was consistently accurate, and that's about it. He had 4 good seasons and the rest were meh.
    No, he's had 5 good seasons. Actually, allow me to correct that, he's had 3 GREAT seasons and 2 very good ones. Most of the rest he still has put up good numbers as evidenced by his QB rating in those seasons.

Now how many QB's in the Hall of Fame have done better than that??? You can go through all of their careers and pick out their handful of great seasons from the litter of meh. For some reason, Warner is being held to an actual higher standard here.

And the guy has played in the NFL for 10 years now, and is the second all time in career QB rating. You don't do that without consistency I'm afraid.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

IMO that had more to do with Mike Martz and Marshall Faulk.
    This kind of excuse could also be used to explain his "bad years". A QB cannot stop the other team from scoring. All he can do is attempt to out score the other team. And that is hard to do when his WR are being tackled before the ball gets there, and the official decide not to throw flags.

gap

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bottom line, he needs 2 more good years. Period. We can debate this all we want, but if 2 HOF voters are on record saying he needs 2 more good years, he needs 2 more good years. He'll probably have 2 more good years if he stays in Arizona then all this is moot.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Have you seen how many very mediocre seasons your boy Steve Young had? Now I'm not saying he doesn't belong in the HOF, but using your measuring stick, he'd probably be on the outside looking in.
    Oh yes. His first two seasons were outright terrible. But he was traded, and after he rode the pine for a couple years he got the job and held on to it. He made 7 straight pro bowl appearances, and was generally regarded as one of the best QBs in the league during that time. Warner played a few snaps his first season, then had three great seasons, then basically disappeared until this year. He was considered a good or decent QB, during those six years but nothing more. So sorry, but I don't support a guy who has had such a long dry spell of good seasons and repeatedly struggled (and failed) just to keep his starting job. That to me is not a Hall of Fame player. I think the HoF voters are right to want a couple of more good years out of Warner before they'd be willing to induct him.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    No, he's had 5 good seasons. Actually, allow me to correct that, he's had 3 GREAT seasons and 2 very good ones. Most of the rest he still has put up good numbers as evidenced by his QB rating in those seasons.
    I see 4 seasons worth mentioning: 1999-2001 and 2008.

And the guy has played in the NFL for 10 years now, and is the second all time in career QB rating. You don't do that without consistency I'm afraid.
    11 years. And 3rd all time. At one point he was the highest rated passer in NFL history, but after his big 3 seasons with St. Louis, it has continually dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    This kind of excuse could also be used to explain his "bad years". A QB cannot stop the other team from scoring. All he can do is attempt to out score the other team.
    Yes, the W-L record can not entirely be attributed to the QB. But you can't excuse mediocre seasons because the team isn't as good but then credit the quarterback when the team is winning. Either the QB is responsible for wins and losses or he's not. It's one or the other. Personally I hate crediting the QB both wins or losses, but others like to use a QB's wins to support their arguments, so I bring up the losses to show the other side of the coin.

And that is hard to do when his WR are being tackled before the ball gets there, and the official decide not to throw flags.
    However, that doesn't really fly when Warner was being outplayed by, say, Marc Bulger. Same teammates, same rules, same refs.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Bottom line, he needs 2 more good years. Period. We can debate this all we want, but if 2 HOF voters are on record saying he needs 2 more good years, he needs 2 more good years. He'll probably have 2 more good years if he stays in Arizona then all this is moot.
    if those are the only 2 votes that count than I would say your right,but I really don't think the majority are leaning that way,they say 2 more "good years" whats a good year to them ? do we need to watch the Balzer/King stat sheet from hear on out.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Just telling you what I know and I don't necessarily agree with it but jk, it's two more votes than you and I have.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Just telling you what I know and I don't necessarily agree with it but jk, it's two more votes than you and I have.

well Tx I think we need to change that,where can we get a couple a votes,but we can't get one for AV,we know how he feels.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Honestly, and full with love;

You didn't need to ask that question.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Orlando Pace, OT. Sometimes I read or hear his name as a 'future HOF'. Recently many fans were hoping to see him ousted. I think he is a great OL.

Point: given the relative comparison, I think KW has a much better, more viable, opportunity to be HOF than OP.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I am a huge fan of Jason Whitlock's, so this may be a little bit biased, but I think he nails it. He speaks precisely for me in this case anyway.

Warner doesn't need win to join Namath in Canton

by Jason Whitlock

It's a ridiculous debate: If the Arizona Cardinals win the Super Bowl, does Kurt Warner belong in the Hall of Fame?

LOL.

What serious football person would even entertain this question?

If the Cardinals win on Sunday, Warner enters the discussion as one of the 10 greatest QBs of all time. He'll be ranked higher on my list than Peyton Manning and Brett Favre.

Warner is in the Hall of Fame now. If he leads the Cards to victory over the Steelers, then he moves into the Joe Willie Namath category.

Joe Namath really only had a few good years. He threw for more than 3,000 yards just three times in his career. In all but one of his 12 professional seasons (his rookie year) he tossed more interceptions than touchdowns.

Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and an undisputed legend for accomplishing one feat: He predicted an AFL victory in Super Bowl III and quarterbacked the Jets while his defense delivered the victory he promised.

I'm not knocking Joe Namath. But that 16-7 victory is the only thing on his resume that screams Hall of Fame. He's a legend because he was the most colorful figure in a historic upset.

Warner is 60 football minutes away from putting a Super Bowl ring on Bill Bidwill's finger. I know we're in the year of Obama and anything is possible, but Bill Bidwill with a Super Bowl ring is one of the most improbable things to imagine in sports. It's three times more improbable than Georgia Frontiere getting a Super Bowl ring with the Rams.

Think about that. Kurt Warner guided Frontiere's Rams to their first championship and now he has the laughingstock Cardinals on the brink of a title.

And we're debating whether Warner is Hall of Fame qualified? This can't be a serious discussion. When analyzing football, you have to look beyond the numbers. We're talking about a real sport, a contact sport. It's not baseball. Stats don't come close to telling a football story.

You have to believe what you see and comprehend what you see.

What we've seen from Warner is two incredible stretches of play sandwiched around five mediocre seasons. Had he had a spotty, five-year start to his career and then finished with five spectacular seasons that included three Super Bowl appearances, no one would remotely question his legacy.

Warner is 38th in career passing yards (ahead of Terry Bradshaw and Namath) and 40th in TD passes (ahead of Namath and Troy Aikman).

But I don't care about the numbers. I care about the victories. He's ahead of Manning, Favre and Marino in Super Bowl appearances. That matters, a great deal.

Warner is a winner because he has the intangible that matters the most when it comes to quarterback play. He's fearless in the pocket. He'll take a hit to deliver the football. He'll hold the ball and give his receivers time to get open. He's accurate under duress.

I've made this point before but it's worth repeating. A quarterback's toughness permeates the entire football team. When the 200-pound, pretty-boy QB is willing to approach the game with a linebacker's toughness, it puts pressure on the rest of the roster. Guys don't mistake aches and pains for injuries.

Look at Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers. No question, Mike Tomlin has done a wonderful job maintaining the tough-guy mentality Bill Cowher instilled in the Steelers. But having Big Ben at quarterback makes it easy.

You can't be a coward when Big Ben is your quarterback. You have to match his swagger.

I'm going to make an analogy that Manning fans are going to find unfair. I am a huge Peyton Manning fan. But the facts speak for themselves.

Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner entered the league in the same year, 1998. Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger entered the league in the same year, 2004. Warner and Roethlisberger have played in five Super Bowls. The Mannings have played in two. Why the disparity?

The Mannings are more physically gifted and have been groomed for NFL stardom. Warner and Roethlisberger are tougher, better leaders.

The last decade of NFL football has been dominated by quarterbacks — Tom Brady, Warner and Roethlisberger — who entered the league with something to prove. Brady was the 199th pick in the draft. Roethlisberger played at a midmajor. Warner bagged groceries and played in the Arena League. They weren't supposed to be NFL stars.

Brady, Warner and Roethlisberger remind me of Elway, Montana and Kelly, the trio of winning QBs who defined the 1980s and 1990s.

Does Kurt Warner belong in the Hall of Fame?

You can't properly explain the last decade without him.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456