Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Dolphins beat Pats by buying game film w/audio to study Brady's audibles

Dolphins Engage in Counter-Espionage
    by FinHeaven | Miami Dolphins December 11, 2006

The plan the Dolphins used to once again thwart Tom Brady - all four of his games with fewer than 100 yards passing have come against Miami - actually began last season after New England's 23-16 victory over the Dolphins on Nov. 13.

To this day, the Dolphins are convinced the Patriots stole their defensive signals in advance of that game. That insider knowledge, the Dolphins believe, allowed New England to know Miami was blitzing - and to adjust accordingly - on the game-winning 17-yard touchdown pass from Brady to Benjamin Watson with 2:16 to play.

This week, the Dolphins got even. Instead of just watching the soundless coaches' films to scout the Patriots, Miami purchased films that had audio of the signals Brady gives at the line - specifically the Patriots' signals to the offensive line that control Brady's protection. Armed with that information, the Dolphins listened to Brady's calls Sunday and adjusted where they brought pressure.

"I think that helped a lot," said Zach Thomas.

The Dolphins also spent extra time in practice and meetings installing new blitz packages designed by defensive coordinator Dom Capers and working to disguise what they were going to do against Brady.

"If you show your hand early, he'll burn you," said safety Yeremiah Bell, who had a sack, forced fumble and recovered fumble. "What we wanted to do was kind of play with him a little bit. We know he waits until the play clock gets late before he does anything. So what we did was when he was playing around with us, we were just playing around with him.

"When it was time to hike that ball, he didn't know what we were going to do."
    Link

Can't say I mind seeing the Pats get outsmarted.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dolphins beat Pats by buying game film w/audio to study Brady's audibles

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Link

Can't say I mind seeing the Pats get outsmarted.
    Ditto....Belicheck deserves it!

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

That's nothing but smart right there.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This topic was mentioned on PTI today and the questioned was asked as to why would the Dolphins go public with it. Doesn't make much sense.

MikeB1603 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This topic was mentioned on PTI today and the questioned was asked as to why would the Dolphins go public with it. Doesn't make much sense.
    Its tough to keep quiet when you outsmart and shutout the New England Patriots. I can only imagine what it was like in the locker room after that game finished.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB1603 View Post
    Its tough to keep quiet when you outsmart and shutout the New England Patriots. I can only imagine what it was like in the locker room after that game finished.
    Yep, the Pats aren't exactly considered the cleanest team out there, so it must feel great to beat them at their own game.

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

i for one dont like it. i dont really mind the dolphins winning, but it just seems a little like cheating to me.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard23 View Post
    i for one dont like it. i dont really mind the dolphins winning, but it just seems a little like cheating to me.
    All's fair in love and war...I don't know why all teams don't do it.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Freegin Pattys must have done same to us in SB. What comes around goes around and it aint over yet. Brady is in trouble!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8