RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Dolphins DE Taylor victim of hate crime

Dolphins DE Taylor victim of hate crime

NFL.com wire reports

DAVIE, Fla. (May 1, 2006) -- A man faces hate crime charges stemming from an alleged assault on Miami Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor that left the NFL player with a minor injury to one forearm, police said. Redmond Charles Burns, 24, allegedly used racial epithets and yelled obscenities at Taylor, who is black, during an alleged highway confrontation Sunday night. Taylor told police that Burns grabbed his shirt, ripping it in several places, and suffered a "minor laceration" from a metal object Burns allegedly used to attack him.

Taylor, who played in a charity golf tournament Monday in Tampa, said in a statement issued by the Dolphins that his injury was minor.

"My wife and I were the victims in an unfortunate incident last night, but we are both fine," Taylor said.

Burns, who is white, faces charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, which police have also classified as a hate crime that would permit tougher penalties. Burns also is charged with obstruction for allegedly resisting arrest after the incident involving Taylor.

Burns was being held Monday on $10,600 bond at the Broward County jail. It wasn't immediately clear if he had a lawyer to represent him.

Taylor, 31, has played nine seasons with the Dolphins and emerged as one of the team's best defensive players. Last season, Taylor had 12 quarterback sacks among his 52 tackles. For his career, Taylor has 540 tackles and 92 sacks.

According to Davie police, Taylor and his wife, Katina, were on their way home from church Sunday evening when Taylor saw a red pickup truck backing up at an intersection in the path of his car.

Katina Taylor is the sister of Zach Thomas, another starting Dolphins linebacker.

As Taylor attempted to pass, the driver of the pickup "intentionally swerved directly at Taylor" and caused him to run off the road.

The passenger in the truck, who wasn't charged, allegedly got out and started to bang on the hood of Taylor's trunk. The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Taylor then got out of his car and was confronted by the 5-foot-11, 168-pound Burns, who was allegedly yelling racial insults and threatening to kill Taylor, according to a police report.

After grabbing Taylor's shirt, Burns allegedly went back to his truck, got an "unknown metal object" and tried to stab Taylor with it. Taylor suffered a minor wound to his left forearm but declined medical treatment.

Both men then jumped back in the truck and took off, with Taylor following and dialing 911. He lost the truck in a trailer park but was able to identify Burns from a photo lineup that police provided.

Police located the truck and tried to arrest Burns as he walked out of a trailer home, but he resisted violently and then tried to kick out the rear window of a police car. Burns was eventually subdued using pepper spray and taken to jail.

Taylor has a home in Davie, which is also the location of the Dolphins' training facility.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins DE Taylor victim of hate crime

i bet Taylor dont talk much about the sweeeeeet love he made last night when zach thomas is in the locker room!

on a serious note,i dont understand race hate,to me its like hating someone for having different colour eyes than yourself FFS!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Thats stupid. Of course it was down south. This race 2 race stuff is getting bad. I heard in Omaha, Nebraska that there trying go segregate(spelling) schools again. Whites in one, blacks in one, and latinos in one.

Its pathetic!
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Thats stupid. Of course it was down south. This race 2 race stuff is getting bad. I heard in Omaha, Nebraska that there trying go segregate(spelling) schools again. Whites in one, blacks in one, and latinos in one.
    I really dont appreciate that comment. For all the crap that the south gets about racism, it is badly exagerrated. I live in the deep south, and racism is really a rarity.

On topic though, it's a shame that this kind of stuff is still going on. There's no reason for hate. How can you hate someone for their color? No one is 100% white, black, or anything. I myself am mixed. It's a shame that society has not moved past this.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I really dont appreciate that comment. For all the crap that the south gets about racism, it is badly exagerrated. I live in the deep south, and racism is really a rarity.

On topic though, it's a shame that this kind of stuff is still going on. There's no reason for hate. How can you hate someone for their color? No one is 100% white, black, or anything. I myself am mixed. It's a shame that society has not moved past this.
    I was kidding. I agree that there's not much down there. I'm just getting sick of racism is all!
    RamsFan16

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I can't believe a 5'11" 165 lb Coors Light body individual threatend a 6'6" 255 lb football linebacker.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Something tells me that the man's perception is somewhat impaired.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

what I love is that these racists listen to music that are sung by blacks or latinos. What I would love to know...Why? What is the big deal? I don't care if your pink. if your a good person, your a good person, if your a bad person, your a bad person, its simple. I don't understand racism, and never will. I HATE IT

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

How did 6'6" 255 lbs of Taylor get hasseled by a 5'11" 168lb Joe Dumbass?

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

How did 6'6" 255 lbs of Taylor get hasseled by a 5'11" 168lb Joe Dumbass?
    That's what I was wondering. I guess he had a weapon.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39

I don't think racism is a rarity. It still exists. My sister lives in Durham, North Carolina and her two boys go to public school. There are a lot more blacks in the public schools than whites. Jake played football last year and he is one of two white guys on the team. My sister says that the white parents pay to send their kids to the private schools in that area.

I don't think there is so much hate out there now, but there are still racist thoughts and actions. Society moves slowly. I would imagine the hispanic population is going to have some problems here in the US, especially if they don't learn to speak english.

I have some friends that are married. She is black and he white and they have two kids. She has had the boys grow "life braids" which is a lock of hair that has never been cut since they were born. She wants them to keep the braid until they are 18 before they cut them off. I am certain she wants them to know that they are different than others, and the braids ought to teach them how to deal with the criticism and the questions that come from being different.

You are right RJ39, there is no reason for hate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welker83 is offline Registered User

heres a story with the guys pic...
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines

S. Florida is pretty good when it comes to racism. In this case the guy was a skinhead.

Whatever...
    And it looked like such a good day...

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

welcome back welker. I have missed your picture, er and your insight.