Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dolphins Notebook - Frerotte working as starter

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK
    Offensive line versatility stressed
    BY JASON COLE
    jcole@herald.com
    Posted on Sat, Jun. 11, 2005

The Dolphins showed off a lot of changes along the offensive line under new coach Hudson Houck during minicamp Friday.

Whether those changes are for the long term or experiment's sake remains to be seen, but it's clear that at least most of the linemen must be versatile.

The Dolphins opened the team portion of practice with Vernon Carey at left tackle and Stockar McDougle at right tackle.

Last season, Damion McIntosh and John St. Clair finished the season at left and right, respectively. St. Clair was at right guard during part of practice. Also, Taylor Whitley was at left guard, Wade Smith was at center, and Damion Cook played right tackle. Cook has spent most of his career as an interior lineman.

The moves underline the versatility the offensive linemen have said Houck is stressing. They said Houck wants them to learn all the positions.

IN THE MAIL

John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, said the group sent a letter to the NFL to complain about the Dolphins' process in the hiring of general manager Randy Mueller, who joined the club this week.

Wooten and the alliance believe the Dolphins didn't follow NFL guidelines adopted in December for the hiring of high-ranking executives.

As a result, the alliance is asking the NFL to upgrade the guidelines to rule status and add penalties if teams don't comply.

NO BIG DEAL

Although Gus Frerotte opened the team session of practice at quarterback and rookie cornerback Travis Daniels was with the first group on defense, new head coach Nick Saban said not to read too much into that.

Running back Lamar Gordon, who is expected to be a backup behind rookie Ronnie Brown and/or veteran Ricky Williams, also opened practice with the first unit.

INJURIES, ETC.

Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor missed the morning practice but returned in the afternoon.

Taylor was ill and was sent to doctors in the morning, Saban said.

Defensive tackle Larry Chester (knee) was limited to running on the side, and rookie cornerback Shirdonya Mitchell (knee) also didn't practice.

Defensive end Chris Solomona could not participate because the University of Oregon has not completed its academic year.

Players limited in practice were safety Chris Akins and wide receiver David Boston.

LIMITED ACCESS

Local television stations were limited in how much video they were allowed to shoot during practice. In essence, cameramen were not allowed to shoot any practice action.

The Dolphins said they changed the rule after Washington lost three days of practice because the Redskins violated offseason contact rules.

The violation was discovered when NFL Players Association representatives viewed video from the team's website.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins Notebook - Frerotte working as starter

Man, it must be hard to be a Dolphin fan right now. I wouldn't feel too good about the season if Gus Frerotte were my starting QB. How many teams has he played for, I wouldn't mind hime being a backup, but I wouldn't like my chances with him as a starter.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.