Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dorsey Watch '09

Chiefs president Carl Peterson challenged Glenn Dorsey to encourage his agent, Joel Segal, to work harder to get the fifth overall pick signed.

Peterson said that as of this morning, the sides were not close to a deal and had temporarily suspended contract talks. Dorsey is the highest unsigned draft pick. Peterson said Segal wanted to wait until more first-round picks had signed before they proceeded.

"Our comment to Glenn Dorsey’s agent was: Look it, since you don’t want to negotiate, we’re going to go to camp and get started," Peterson said. "When you want to negotiate, you know how to reach us, so give me a phone call."

Peterson said Dorsey had promised team officials he would be in camp on time. He has until 9 a.m. Friday to keep his promise.

"He promised me, and he’s going to lose his bet that he’s going to be here on time," Peterson said. "Glenn knows he needs to be here; I think Glenn wants to be here."
    Courtesy of the Kansas City Star's Chiefs blog.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Chiefs suspend contract talks with DT Glenn Dorsey

I don't like most of Goodell's ideas, but he is 100% right about getting these rookie contracts under control.
    I still think doing something similar to the NBA's rookie contracts would be best. It would take a while, but go through every pick, all 255, and set up a pay scale, and have the undrafted free agents only be able to sign up to a certain amount until their third year or so of being on the free agents list.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

There is no reason an unproven rookie who has never taken a snap in the NFL should get paid more than a proven vet. Im glade we didnt draft him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Okay, where is the "Draft Dorsey over Long" crowd? Any thoughts from that group?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

If he winds up holding out and getting hurt when he finally reports, it will definately bolster the Rams choice of Long. Now, there's no definate way to say he wouldn't be signed with the Rams already, but they're certainly not a team known for throwing money around freely and this guy's agent looks like a tool.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Okay, where is the "Draft Dorsey over Long" crowd? Any thoughts from that group?
    Why yes, thank you for asking. What is going on here is simply the smelly underside of the business aspect of the NFL. It happens every year and as distasteful as it might be, these situations, in the end, all work out. While this is certainly not the best of news for Chiefs fans, I really don't think that this will escalate to anywhere near as acrimonious as Jamarcus Russell last year or even the Bryant McKinnie situation of several years ago.

Having said all that let's not let this NEGOTIATION problem cloud the real question: Namely, which man (Long or Dorsey) will become the more dominant player? This is what it will come down to imo. Actually, I don't really care who got into camp first; I just want to know who makes the Pro Bowl first.

WHAT SAY YE?

Actually, I don't really care who got into camp first; I just want to know who makes the Pro Bowl first.
    Quite true. However, nobody gets to the Pro Bowl without getting to camp first.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Guess he got the message; they've agreed on terms of what's supposedly a five-year deal.

www.kansascity.com | 07/26/2008 | Chiefs sign top draft pick Glenn Dorsey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Guess he got the message; they've agreed on terms of what's supposedly a five-year deal.

www.kansascity.com | 07/26/2008 | Chiefs sign top draft pick Glenn Dorsey
    See guys? Even the Chiefs read the ClanRam.

Chiefs’ top pick Dorsey hurts knee
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

Trainers examined Glenn Dorsey after he went down with a knee injury as the Chiefs held Family Fun Night on Saturday in River Falls, Wis.

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Rookie defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, the Chiefs’ top draft pick and the centerpiece of their rebuilding effort, injured his left knee during the annual Family Fun Night practice Saturday.

Coach Herm Edwards described the injury as a sprain

“He’s probably going to be week to week,’’ Edwards said. “They won’t know until they do all of the MRIs and all of that. They’ll find out what’s going on. But I don’t think it’s serious.’’

Offensive tackle Branden Albert, the Chiefs’ other first-round pick, sprained his foot during Thursday night’s joint practice against the Minnesota Vikings. The Chiefs don’t expect Albert to return to practice before training camp breaks in the middle of August.

Dorsey went down during a running play about midway through the practice. He got up and walked off the field without assistance.

He was examined by medical personnel and an ice bag was wrapped around the knee. Dorsey then walked gingerly but under his own power off the practice field and into the locker room.

Tank Tyler, a third-round draft pick last year, will replace Dorsey in the starting lineup. Herb Taylor, a sixth-round pick last year, is replacing Albert. Taylor played in one game on offense as a reserve last year.

Edwards tried to put a positive spin on the double-dose of bad luck. But his mood was decidedly somber.

“They’ll be back,’’ he said. “They’re not here and whatever time they miss is valuable time because they’re rookies. The good part about it is those other guys are going to have to play, get evaluated and play.

“When (Dorsey and Albert) come back, they’re going to be asked to play. They’ve mentally got to stay into it. That’s the hard part when you’re not practicing. You miss all of those (snaps) and that’s what you miss when you’re a young player. You miss those repetitions.

“That’s not going to stop us from doing what we’re trying to do. You can’t do anything about it. It happens. It happens all over the league and when it happens you can’t feel sorry for yourself or sorry for your football team. You continue to coach and that’s what we’re going to do.’’
    Just to note, pre-draft injury reports were about his right knee, I believe. Not his left.

Also, I edited the title of the thread with thoughts of putting all Dorsey-related news in here. I know there were more than a few Rams fans who wanted him to be the Rams' selection, so maybe this can help people keep track of how his rookie year is going as well.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-03-2008 at 01:09 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey Watch '08

Hmm, interesting. I hope GD's injury is not serious and I wish him well. But truth be known (biased and all), I think we got a better draft pick in Long.

Top pick Dorsey finally gets into the action
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

It wasn’t so much about what he did in his handful of snaps. It was all about the fact Glenn Dorsey was there for them at all.

After saying early in the week that he didn’t expect to play in Saturday night’s preseason game against Arizona at Arrowhead Stadium, Dorsey made his NFL debut as a starting defensive tackle.

Dorsey didn’t play much, and he came out when the Chiefs went to their nickel defense. But it was more than Dorsey was able to do in the previous week’s opener in Chicago, when he didn’t play because of a sprained knee.

“I’m making good progress,” he said. “It’s feeling good. They told me my snaps were going to be limited. It was good to finally get out there in that environment. I got a few plays.

“They told me they were going to gradually bring me back into the game. I did all right. It took a couple of plays to get warmed up. You’ve got to see the type of guy you’re playing against. I think I made some progress, though.

“It’s not even sore. I look forward to getting more playing time next week.”

Dorsey, the Chiefs’ top draft pick, was credited with his only tackle when he stopped Edgerrin James for a 1-yard gain on Arizona’s second possession.

“I thought he did OK, but we were very tentative with him,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “We didn’t want to leave him in there too much. But (next) week he’ll get to play a lot. We anticipate that. But for the most part, he did OK. It’s the first time he played in a game.”

Dorsey injured the knee in an Aug. 2 practice at training camp in River Falls, Wis. He returned to practice last week but didn’t fully participate in any of the sessions.

Edwards said that’s why the Chiefs held him out when they went to their nickel defense.

“We just had a number of plays that he was going to be involved in,” Edwards said. “He hadn’t been rushing in nickel rush. You don’t want to give him too much too soon. He hadn’t practiced a lot, and we just wanted to give him a couple of snaps.”

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Can't wait to get a good look at this guy in the Governors Cup. I'm sure he'll see alot of action against the Rams in a couple of weeks. It'll be his one big test before the start of the regular season.

Welcome to the NFL, Glenn Dorsey!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Chiefs are still waiting for first-round draft pick Glenn Dorsey to have much impact. They list him with 26 tackles, but none for negative yardage.

He also has yet to have a sack. But coach Herm Edwards indicated the Chiefs were far from disappointed in Dorsey.

“He’s been very consistent against the run,” Edwards said. “I thought last week was one of his better games in the passing game. He’s learning the ropes, and he got a lot better last week rushing the quarterback.”

He didn’t get a sack, but he created some push in the pocket.

“He’s playing a position where every week he’s playing against a pretty good guard. He’s not the best player on the field. The guys he’s playing against have a lot more experience than he does. That’s part of the process of learning. That’s part of the deal.”
    www.kansascity.com | 11/06/2008 | Chiefs notebook: Roster packed with rookies

What will move to 3-4 mean to Chiefs’ Dorsey?
    Posted: Adam Schefter
    Wednesday, February 18 2009

The Chiefs announced their new coaching staff this week. What they didn’t announce is that they’re planning to switch to a 3-4 defense.

Under the guidance of new defensive coaches Clancy Pendergast and Gary Gibbs, the Chiefs are turning to the scheme that has done so well for the Steelers and is back in vogue in the NFL.

Now the Chiefs will have to tailor their personnel accordingly. But what is most intriguing and mysterious about it is where last year’s first-round draft pick, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, fits in the scheme. Dorsey might not be stout enough to play nose tackle in a 3-4, and he might not be big enough to play end.

There now are questions about Dorsey’s role, one year after he became the Chiefs’ top pick.

But the changes now are coming fast and furious in Kansas City, mainly on defense.
    I'm starting to feel bad for the guy. It didn't sound like he was being used right by the previous staff, and a switch to the 3-4 really doesn't suit him well either IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast