Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Dorsey Watch '08

Per rotoworld today, August 4th:
    ------------
    Chiefs DE Glenn Dorsey still hasn't practiced at training camp because he hasn't passed his conditioning test.
    K.C. began camp with five starters in this situation, and all but Dorsey have been cleared. He needs to get in shape if he's going to beat out Alex Magee.
    -----------

Regardless of your feelings of Long's performance this year, he's clearly the standout of the three defensive rookie front runners from two years ago. We made the right choice.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Regardless of your feelings of Long's performance this year, he's clearly the standout of the three defensive rookie front runners from two years ago. We made the right choice.
    Things can obviously change, but at this point I completely agree and think time will prove that choosing Long was the right way to go.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting submission by Kent Babb on the Kansas City Star's Chiefs blog...

Chiefs defensive end Glenn Dorsey hasn't yet touched the practice field, although he has seen all of his previously out-of-shape teammates leave him on the PUP list and head toward team drills.

Dorsey is one of at least five regulars who failed Friday's conditioning test. Dorsey remains, and that's not a good sign for a second-year defender with a fat contract and reportedly still within grasp of his enormous potential. But he's useless to the Chiefs in conditioning purgatory, and coach Todd Haley isn't letting up on the guy.

"Iím a selfish coach," Haley said. "If youíre not on the field practicing, you canít help me do my job."

As long as we're talking about work, let's discuss the grind that Dorsey is undergoing. He's spending time on sprints and the stationary bike, but I can't help but think that some of the exercises he's doing aren't more for continued humiliation of the one player who can't seem to get in shape.

Dorsey continues to spend his hours pulling, pushing, dragging and moving. Yesterday, he and Damion McIntosh took turns walking the length of the field either holding a barbell above their heads or hugging a 45-pound plate. On Monday, Haley apparently had Dorsey practice his fishing technique, lying on his back and dragging a blocking dummy in short bursts until it had reached him. Dorsey would finish his odd assignment, stand there bewildered for a few moments, then walk off to do something else.

This is the football equivalent of being confined to the stocks, an embarrassing punishment while everyone else watches.

In an ironic and cruel twist Monday, the Oscar-Meyer Wienermobile parked less than 50 yards from Dorsey's conditioning zone.

But good news for Dorsey; according to Michael Lombardi's Twitter page...

Glen Dorsey can now practice with the Chiefs, wonder if his bike riding has gotten him in shape?

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Per rotoworld today, August 4th:
    ------------
    Chiefs DE Glenn Dorsey still hasn't practiced at training camp because he hasn't passed his conditioning test.
    K.C. began camp with five starters in this situation, and all but Dorsey have been cleared. He needs to get in shape if he's going to beat out Alex Magee.
    -----------

You are correct. Long is a stud in comparison.

Re: Dorsey Watch '09

Dorsey says he’s a better player this season
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star
    Posted on Fri, Sep. 25, 2009

Glenn Dorsey pondered the notion for a second and, while picking at some tape on his football shoes, finally agreed. Yes, he said, it’s possible he could be a better player for the Chiefs this year and few people might know.

That can be what happens to a defensive end in a 3-4 defense.

“That could be,” said Dorsey, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick last year. “But I think people that really understand the game will see the difference in the way I’m playing. It might not show up on the stats, but the improvement is there.”

As proof, Dorsey can offer last week’s game against Oakland, probably the best of his professional career. Dorsey, who was credited with five tackles, was a big reason the Raiders rushed for just 67 yards and a feeble 2.7 per carry.

Dorsey had a chance to make a potentially game-changing play in the fourth quarter when he batted a JaMarcus Russell pass at the line of scrimmage. Had Dorsey made the catch instead of watching the ball fall harmlessly to the grass, he could have scored a touchdown or at least provided the offense with field position inside the Oakland 10.

If he’s to get noticed this season, Dorsey might have to make plays like that one. He comes out of the game on obvious passing downs, so his chances for sacks are limited.

Without the chance to drag down the opposing quarterback, it figures to be difficult for Dorsey to live up to his lofty draft position. The Chiefs selected Dorsey last year with the fifth pick in the draft.

Still, for what they’re asking him to do, the Chiefs are quietly encouraged.

“That was probably the best we’ve seen from him to date since we’ve been together,” defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast said. “He’s showing up more. But we’ve got 14 more to go, so hopefully he’ll continue to make progress.”

It’s somewhat of a surprise that the Chiefs are praising Dorsey this early in the season. They were unhappy with him at the start of their offseason conditioning program for showing up overweight and out of shape.

He then failed the Chiefs’ conditioning test at the start of training camp and missed the first couple of practice sessions.

Even head coach Todd Haley said he was impressed with Dorsey’s progress.

“He’s a guy that kind of let himself get away, shapewise and conditioningwise, in the offseason,” Haley said. “It was a long way back. He’s worked hard to get back. Now he’s finally in a position bodywise and conditionwise where he can really go to work now and start to see some improvement. I think he’s seeing that, and that’s leading to a little confidence on his part, and that’s all good stuff.

“The important thing is he stays where he’s at or better as far as conditioning and stays on top of that week in and week out and continues to let that confidence build.”

Dorsey said he intended to honor that request.

“He’s been preaching to me since (he) got here to lose some weight and get in shape,” Dorsey said. “I’m getting closer and closer and I’m seeing a difference on the field and in practice. It’s all for the better.”

It will be if all his games are like the one Dorsey played against Oakland.

“You could say that was my best game,” he said. “I was able to make a few plays. I was in the right position, and I knew what (the Raiders) were trying to do to us. I’m always looking at why I played (well) and I’ll try to do that this week.

“I did OK. I still have a lot of things I have to work on.”

It's disappointing to me that Dorsey is now playing in a 3-4 alignment, as I really wanted to see how he'd do in the NFL as a 4-3 three-technique tackle, especially given all the hype. I don't think he's a great fit for the 3-4, but good for him in making some strides after a disappointing offseason.

Re: Dorsey Watch '09

Chiefs Insider Blog: Eastbound And Down
    Josh Looney
    Oct 14, 2009, 6:05:40 AM

DORSEY TRADE BAIT?
    October 14th – 9:20 AM

Glenn Dorsey is once again in the spotlight for Kansas City. Earlier this week, NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora announced that the Chiefs brass are “down” on Dorsey and that a trade involving the fifth overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft may be in the works.

Here is an exerpt from La Confora’s blog on NFL.com.

“I’m also told by numerous league sources that the coaching staff in Kansas City isn’t high on NT Glenn Dorsey, a former first-round draft pick. There’s always a demand for nose tackles in this league, and the salary-cap ramifications wouldn’t be a deterrent in dealing for Dorsey.“

First, let me go on record by saying that La Canfora can generally be counted on for providing accurate information involving all 32 teams. In short, he is a respected reporter when it comes to the NFL. I don’t doubt that La Canfora hasn’t heard a bird chirp in his ear about the potential destinations of various Chiefs as we near the trade deadline on October 20th. But his information about the coaching staff in Kansas City being “down” on Dorsey may be a bit outdated. Also, Dorsey plays defensive end.

Dorsey began training camp out of shape and, as Dorsey himself admitted, didn’t pass the club’s conditioning test. He was officially in “the doghouse” so to speak. That was back in late July. Since then, however, Dorsey has paid his dues, worked his way back into shape and appears to be the cornerstone of the Chiefs defensive line at this point in the season.

The second-year player has been quietly turning in solid performance after solid performance. He’s continually one of the first players coming off the line of scrimmage on the snap and has been getting plenty of push from his end post. Dorsey possibly turned in the best performance of his young career vs. Oakland and has built off of that performance each week.

The results of Dorsey’s labor has seen the defensive end play in nearly every defensive snap this season. Dorsey has turned in 275 total defensive snaps this season. That is an average of 55 plays per game and hardly a sign of someone either out of shape or in the dog house. In fact, Dorsey’s 275 snaps lead all Chiefs defensive linemen this season. DE Tyson Jackson has seen the second-most action by appearing in 194 total plays (38.8 avg.).

While moving any player (besides QB Matt Cassel and Jackson) before the deadline isn’t out of the question, moving Dorsey would need to make a lot of sense for Kansas City. If Dorsey were to move on, DE Wallace Gilberry and DE Alex Magee would likely be thrust into the spotlight. Both players have seen limited action to date this season. The scenario of Dorsey packing his bags seems unlikely, and packing his bags for San Diego (which La Canfora offered as a destination in a television interview) seems downright inconceivable. Who knows though, crazier things have happened at the deadline.

Just ask yourself this. What would it take to trade the “can’t miss” defensive lineman on every teams board just 21 games into his career? Is there even a deal out there that begins to make sense for KC? We’ll only know for certain when October 21st comes around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123