Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Double Standards

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Double Standards

We now live in a society where you are not held accountable for deeds but by the words you speak. Think about this Donald Sterling is losing his NBA franchise because of words spoken in private that we're taped without his willful consent. I'm not saying that the words of some carry more weight than others and what he said should be addressed. However, this has been doing things far more worse than what he spoke, and he's virtually gone unpunished.

Which brings me to my real point. Don Jones from the Miami Dolphins is being fined an undisclosed amount for tweeting "OMG ... horrible" right after Michael Sam was drafted by the Rams. Not only that he's suspended from the team until he finishes a class on proper social media etiquette. Since when do you get fined and suspended for saying "OMG horrible"? Listen I a Rams fan and if Sam makes the team he's a ram therefore I'll root for him. But there is no way Don Jones should be suspended and fined for a two word tweet. I'm just saying.

With that being said GO RAMS!!!!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Double Standards

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    . Since when do you get fined and suspended for saying "OMG horrible"? Listen I a Rams fan and if Sam makes the team he's a ram therefore I'll root for him. But there is no way Don Jones should be suspended and fined for a two word tweet. I'm just saying.
    You do realize that the Dolphins' HC and GM both came close to losing their jobs for tolerating bullying and inappropriate comments by players just last year, right?
    Fargo Ram Fan and citr92 like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

As much as I just don't see how people care...regardless of beliefs....it just still doesn't make any sense...

being suspended for a two word tweet, I see why for two reasons, the reason Av stated above and you can really assume why that tweet was posted, i doubt he really didn't like the pick for football reasons...

the punishment is...a bit silly, not really a punishment but a big waste of time lol

he'll be in one class...then back on the team...no big deal

though really...why do people focus so much on someone else's sexuality?...POINTLESS

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    though really...why do people focus so much on someone else's sexuality?...POINTLESS
    I would say in the current situation, the reason is because the media won't let it go. With the exception of a handful of fans, I don't think anybody truly cares about this. I would guess that I speak for 99% of Rams fans when I say, the only thing I care about is, Can he get to the QB?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Some people focus on other's sexuality due to their inability to focus on their own.
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I would say in the current situation, the reason is because the media won't let it go. With the exception of a handful of fans, I don't think anybody truly cares about this. I would guess that I speak for 99% of Rams fans when I say, the only thing I care about is, Can he get to the QB?
    same lol,

i already stopped watching mainstream media a few years ago anyway, so it's easy for me to just, "nope," and just change the channel

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Some people focus on other's sexuality due to their inability to focus on their own.
    usually the case

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Since when do you get fined and suspended for saying "OMG horrible"?
    Are you suggesting that Jones or other employees should be able to say whatever they want about whomever they want without any kind of possible consequences for those actions from their employer?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Are you suggesting that Jones or other employees should be able to say whatever they want about whomever they want without any kind of possible consequences for those actions from their employer?
    No, he is saying that the two words posted by Don Jones is not sufficient for punishment by an employer.

The only mistake Mr. Jones made was to assume he lived in a free country. He has in all likelihood learned his lesson......
    jjigga3000 likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    No, he is saying that the two words posted by Don Jones is not sufficient for punishment by an employer.

The only mistake Mr. Jones made was to assume he lived in a free country. He has in all likelihood learned his lesson......
    Jones may make whatever comments he wants. He is not, however, exempt from any consequences that may come his way from his employer for those comments.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You do realize that the Dolphins' HC and GM both came close to losing their jobs for tolerating bullying and inappropriate comments by players just last year, right?
    You walk a thin line, by trying to infer that his comment was directed at Sam. He could have meant horrible pick for Rams. We do know that his tweet was directed at Sam because he apologized, but let's get real "OMG...horrible" is far from bullying. Poor judgement, but bullying?????????? GET REAL.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm with you, I'm not concerned with what he does off the field. I'm concerned with whether or not he can contribute.

My post does not infer that at all, but tell me this where was Michael Sams name or anything other entity mentioned? In a court of law this wouldn't stand up had not he apologized to Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

Thank you. I don't understand why anyone else can't see the problem with this. And to your second statement I think he did learn his lesson.

Jones may make whatever comments he wants. He is not, however, exempt from any consequences that may come his way from his employer for those comments.
    So you're saying "OMG horrible" is a punishable statement? Had not he apologized no one would have known what he was referring to. "Oh My Gosh Horrible" could be anything and it's far from a statement of malice.

Listen I'm not trying to change any of your minds, but if you don't see a problem with what's going on, I feel sorry for you. Which is why I brought up the Sterling situation as an example. I'm black and I don't agree he should be losing his franchise for a private convo brought to light. I believe he should be losing the franchise for the actual racist deeds he's done, some of which were settled out of court. Just as I don't believe Jones should be fined or suspended for "OMG horrible" Now if he said "WTF why is this f***ot getting drafted" then by all means yes. But "OMG horrible let's get real people.

I don't think anyone is denying that the comment was made in reference to the selection of Michael Sam, and I don't think that the comment was motivated by the Rams' depth at DE.

As for it being a "free country," people just don't seem to understand the term.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast