Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Dre Bly pulls a T.O. and criticizes Joey Harrington

Bly told Rich Eisen that the first person people look to blame when things go wrong is the coach, and that while there were things Mooch could have done better, Bly felt it's more of a matter of individuals not stepping up and playing like they should be. He said that included quarterback Joey Harrington, who is bad in both games and in practice, and Bly claimed that if Garcia was the QB all year, Mooch would still have his job.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Scidog68 is offline Registered User
    Someone show me why Harrington doesn't deserve criticism for 4 years of under-achieving under 2 different HC's and I will agree with the TO tag for Dre'. Mooch was obviously Joey's problem, even under Marty What's-his-name, right?

From what I have seen, Matt Millen has been, and continues to be, the problem. But that's just my humble opinion.

OK, now that I've heard the interview, Dre' was a bit harsh and probably should have been more circumspect and, um....delicate. My criticism of Joey H. and agreement with Dre's statement still stand, though.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-28-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Re: Dre Bly pulls a T.O. and criticizes Joey Harrington

Oh I agree about Harrington and Millen. But it'll be interesting to see who runs with the story of Bly criticizing his QB.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Oh I agree about Harrington and Millen. But it'll be interesting to see who runs with the story of Bly criticizing his QB.
    Bly may be 100% right, but personally I'd rather see this kind of thing handled in-house.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Bly --------has always run his mouth too much!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bly is also a two time pro bowl CB for the Lions. He has the juice to say what he feels.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Bly is a two-time Pro Bowl player, and Harrington deserves to be criticized, so certainly Bly can do so.

The question is, should he?

I'm not a big fan of players calling out teammates in public. It serves no purpose, and divides the team. Plus, its not like there are players who don't, themselves, occasionally have bad games.

Well, in the Lions situation, I highly doubt that few if any are in Harrington's corner presently.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Bly really shouldny be doing this. It's not like he's having a stellar year at CB. He's been injured and the 4 picks that he has have come against Anthony Wright and Trent Dilfer (I think) Really, the whole team is the problem. The O-Line doesnt block (Not Harrington's Fault) The Lions have constantly abandoned the running game (Not Harrington's Fault) The receivers consistently drop passes and get pushed off their routes (Not Harrington's Fault) The coaching staff has no trust in Harrington to let him loose and let him play the game like he should (Partly Harrington's Fault)

I think Harrington has done a decent job with what he has. He played much better than Garcia in that game against the Falcons. He had done nothing to deserve being pulled from the game.

If the players are looking for someone to blam, here's a few guys...

Roy Williams-Cant stay healthy and has been inconsistent

Charles Rogers-Does not fit in their system

Mike Williams-Rookie

O-Line-The Rams could get good pressure on the QB against this line

Mooch-His gameplan's have not been very good and he has not managed the Harrington situation well. He needed to trust the kid to get it done.

Harrington-He misses open receivers and throws INT's. Some of those are the WR's fault, but he should be bettet than this by now. The thing abot Harrington is this. His numbers too the TE were good. His numbers to the WRs are poor. A lot of this has to do with the WR's.

Matt Millen-Complete Idiot. 3 WR's in the first round. Are you kidding me? How about some O-Line help? Or maybe a good LB somewhere around here.

The Ford Family-They have never put a good team on the field. Even when they had Barry Sanders, they have never fielded the team that they should have. Poor Ownership comes into play here.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Whether or not he should have said it, I find it refreshing that he voiced his actual opinion rather than what was politically correct.

I don't watch very many Lions games but I've never been too impressed by Harrington. On Thanksgiving however, he wasn't the problem. There's something going on with the whole team and they just aren't performing. The best thing for Harrington, in my opinion, would be a fresh start. I think a pro style offense might be good for him too.

I was very unimpressed with the wr trio that Detroit has also. I know Mike Williams can play better than that. Rogers and Williams looked average too, which was surprising. There must be something in the water in Detroit.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Dick Jauron apparently agrees with Bly. Garcia's getting the start this weekend. Are the Lions preparing to throw their hat into the Matt Leinart sweepstakes?

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Whether or not he should have said it, I find it refreshing that he voiced his actual opinion rather than what was politically correct.
    Did you find it refreshing when TO did the same to McNabb earlier this season as well?

I dunno. I'm just not sure this has any place in the media. I don't see how it helps your team any to go out and bash your fellow teammates to a reporter.

That said, the Lions would probably have to trade up to get Leinart. They're just good enough to not be in the immediate hunt.

Did you find it refreshing when TO did the same to McNabb earlier this season as well?
    No, but I don't think it was the same. T.O. was doing anything he could think of to further an agenda. I think Bly truly feels that Mariucci is wrongfully taking the fall. I don't think Bly is doing any shameless self-promotion either. I don't know how or if this will help the Lions but I don't disagree with Bly's feelings.

The Lions have drafted three first round wr's, Kevin Jones and brought in an offensive, qb friendly coach and nothing has improved Harrington's game.

We'll have to see how it turns out, but I'm guessing Bly will be fined.

I have to agree with mokler on this one. Go ahead mokler, pick yourself off the floor. lol

Complete different set of circumstances.