RamWraith is offline Registered User

Eagles make deal for Stallworth

The Philadelphia Eagles, long looking for help in the receiving corps, have finally found their man.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles today swung a trade with the Saints for former first-round pick Donte Stallworth in exchange for LB Mark Simoneau and a fourth-round pick that can turn to a third rounder if the Eagles can work out an extension with the receiver.

Stallworth, a free agent after the year, has been on the trade block for quite some time and the Saints had fielded offers from several teams, including the Patriots.

In 56 career games, Stallworth had 195 recepetions for 2,791 yards and 23 TDs. In Simoneau, the Saints get a player head coach Andy Reid regards as one of his favorites of all time a perfect complement to any locker room.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Eagles make deal for Stallworth

Simoneau is a solid LB, someone I wished the Rams had gone after.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    Simoneau is a solid LB, someone I wished the Rams had gone after.
    He's a solid back-up, questionable starter IMO. I really don't think you go after him to start unless you have absolutely nothing at LB... ala, the Saints.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's one less LB for my man, Tank Daniels, to compete with.......so I like it.

Not sure how the Saints can feel good about this one though. Trading their #1 receiver for a backup LB? Just not understanding this one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Trading their #1 receiver for a backup LB?
    They'll get either a third or a fourth with it as well, and Stallworth is their #2. Joe Horn is the #1 there.

I agree though that this trade isn't good for the Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    They'll get either a third or a fourth with it as well, and Stallworth is their #2. Joe Horn is the #1 there.

I agree though that this trade isn't good for the Saints.
    I'd say the transition was in place between Horn and Stallworth. The 34-year-old Horn was the #2 target last year, and I don't think that would have changed this year. Of course, with Stallworth now gone, there really isn't much of a choice for the Saints.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I'd take Stallworth over Horn any day of the week! Donte' is very elusive as a reciever as Horn has been problematic through his career.

I'd say the transition was in place between Horn and Stallworth. The 34-year-old Horn was the #2 target last year, and I don't think that would have changed this year. Of course, with Stallworth now gone, there really isn't much of a choice for the Saints.
    Stallworth has been getting more involved with the Saints offense for two years now after finally beating out Jerome Pathon for the #2 job, but I disagree with the notion that he was transitioning into the primary receiver role. I believe Horn wasn't able to be as involved in the offense because of a nagging hamstring injury that caused him to see limited or no time in at least five games last year.

IMO, this would be like saying a transition was in place between Curtis and Bruce because of Curtis' 2005 production when that wasn't the case - despite an effort to get Curtis more involved in the offense, he simply saw more action because Bruce was injured. Where are we now? Curtis is still not starting, and despite a good 2005 campaign Donte Stallworth was expendable for the Saints.

Most teams don't view their #1 guy as expendable, especially when you spend $60 million to bring in a legit quarterback.

IMO, this would be like saying a transition was in place between Curtis and Bruce because of Curtis' 2005 production when that wasn't the case -
    In 13 starts, Horn only managed 49 receptions, 654 yards, and 1 TD. In comparison, Stallworth had 70 catches, 945 yards, and 7 TD. Even if Horn had 3 more games, Stallworth would most likely have had more production. With that, I'm not sure that, healthy or not, a 34-year-old Joe Horn can hold off the 26-year-old Stallworth on his way up.

As for Curtis and Bruce, I'm still not convinced a 34-year-old Bruce can hold up the #2 spot on the long-term either.
    Most teams don't view their #1 guy as expendable
    They do when he is a lockerroom headache who wanted out of town, and is playing in his Free Agent season. But I agree with you, if Saints FO feels he is expendable, that's all that matters.......he is/was expendable.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

In 13 starts, Horn only managed 49 receptions, 654 yards, and 1 TD. In comparison, Stallworth had 70 catches, 945 yards, and 7 TD. Even if Horn had 3 more games, Stallworth would most likely have had more production. With that, I'm not sure that, healthy or not, a 34-year-old Joe Horn can hold off the 26-year-old Stallworth on his way up.
    Sorry HUb I have to go with Nick on this one. 13 starts is very misleading for Horn, I had him on one of my fantasy teams and there were a few games that he started but left the game real early because of his injury. He was trying to come back too fast.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Sorry HUb I have to go with Nick on this one. 13 starts is very misleading for Horn, I had him on one of my fantasy teams and there were a few games that he started but left the game real early because of his injury. He was trying to come back too fast.
    And that's fine (Horn screwed my fantasy team last year too). It's all moot anyway. Stallworth is an Eagle, and Horn is the man (again, I'd say) in NO and should be the primary target for Brees...........until Bush is up to speed, but that's whole separate can of worms.

Where I think we can all agree is that Benson and the Saints felt the difference between Stallworth's production and the headaches brought with him is only Simoneau and a mid-rounder.

IMO, this is a pretty good pick-up for the Eagles.

IMO, stats are meaningless in this instance. One guy is healthy, one guy is not. I don't think you can take a guy's stats when he's not 100%, project them to a full season, and try to use that as further proof the torch is being passed. It doesn't matter, because we're still talking about a season where he wasn't healthy.

They do when he is a lockerroom headache who wanted out of town, and is playing in his Free Agent season. But I agree with you, if Saints FO feels he is expendable, that's all that matters.......he is/was expendable.
    As of August 10th, Stallworth was practicing as the #3 guy behind Horn and Henderson. On August 14th, the AP was reporting that Stallworth's spot on the roster wasn't even secure.

Sorry HUb, but I just really see no evidence to support the idea that New Orleans just dealt their primary receiver.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

And that's fine (Horn screwed my fantasy team last year too). It's all moot anyway. Stallworth is an Eagle, and Horn is the man (again, I'd say) in NO and should be the primary target for Brees...........until Bush is up to speed, but that's whole separate can of worms.

Where I think we can all agree is that Benson and the Saints felt the difference between Stallworth's production and the headaches brought with him is only Simoneau and a mid-rounder.

It is a good pick up. Devery Henderson also had something to do with bumping Donte out of N.O. If they didn't love Henderson, Donte would still be a Saint.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

It's a very good deal for the Eagles because Stallworth immediately starts beside Reggie Brown. Instant upgrade to their starting unit.

New Orleans gets, what, a third or fourth round draft pick and a back-up linebacker who will make his impact on special teams?

The only way this works out well for New Orleans IMO is if (1) the fourth round pick gets bumped up to a third which happens if the Eagles sign Stallworth to a new deal, and then (2) the Saints trade one of those third round picks to San Diego for Donnie Edwards.

As of August 10th, Stallworth was practicing as the #3 guy behind Horn and Henderson. On August 14th, the AP was reporting that Stallworth's spot on the roster wasn't even secure.

Sorry HUb, but I just really see no evidence to support the idea that New Orleans just dealt their primary receiver.
    Well, like I've already said, it's moot now anyway.......but after playing the 2nd string in week 1 (Aug. 12th) Stallworth has started the last two games (Aug. 21st and 26th) for the Saints.

He's gone, so it doesn't matter, but I just don't see how Horn or Henderson either one will be more productive than Stallworth at this point. But we'll never know for sure now.