Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Eagles to release Pro Bowler Trotter

We gotta have him....Don't we??

Jay Glazer
    FOXSports.com

In a stunning move Tuesday, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with one of the stalwarts of their defense from the last several years.

The Eagles are releasing perennial Pro Bowler MLB Jeremiah Trotter, FOXSports.com has learned. Despite recording 113 tackles in 2006, the Eagles feel that Trotter has lost a step.

Trotter, who has played in Philadelphia for seven of his nine NFL seasons, has registered over 100 tackles in six different seasons, including each of the last two. At 29, Trotter has been one of the Eagles' leaders on defense, along with safety Brian Dawkins.

Trotter was expected to anchor an improved Eagles linebacking corps with the off-season acquisition of Takeo Spikes.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Eagles to release Pro Bowler Trotter

What the heck? Gotta be more to it than "lost a step". Interesting development, if it happens.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I say you have to give him a look. Maybe he's not an every down LB anymore, but he has always been a good run stopper.

Omar goes to work

Omar Gaither, who started the second half of last season at weak-side linebacker, got much of the work with the starting defense yesterday at middle linebacker, although the significance of that wasn't immediately clear since there was nobody around to talk about it.

Gaither, who is on the first nickel, has been backing up Jeremiah Trotter this summer at middle.

Trotter is entering his 10th NFL season, has bad knees and is coming off an admittedly disappointing 2006 season.

This didn't appear to be a case of Reid resting a veteran, since Trotter was out there working with the second-team defense.
    Reid met with the media before practice and wasn't available after practice. There was no locker room access or player availability following practice.
    From the PhillyBurbs website....

Gaither must really be impressing up there.

P.S. On a personal note, I hope this creates room on the Eagles roster for my Harding homeboy, Tank Daniels.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I say you have to give him a look. Maybe he's not an every down LB anymore, but he has always been a good run stopper.
    I agree 100%. Trotter has been an awesome MLB. "Has Been" might be the key phrase?

But let's check him out at least.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree 100%. Trotter has been an awesome MLB. "Has Been" might be the key phrase?

But let's check him out at least.
    He's still a great run stopper, but hasn't his knock been his coverage (lack of) skills? He might be worth a look as the anti-Alston.....the pure run stuffer. Trotter on run downs; Alston on passing downs.

I don't know, though. Surely someone will offer him more than just a situational spot.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Everything I've heard is that he's had significant knee problems the last year or two and might have been considering retirement earlier this offseason.

Unless the Rams are willing to move Chris Draft outside, I doubt the Rams will give Trotter a significant look as their #3 MLB.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was released by the Eagles on Tuesday, a surprising end to the Pro Bowl player's second stint with Philadelphia.

Coach Andy Reid informed Trotter of his decision Monday night during an emotional meeting. Trotter was a fan favorite because of his intensity, big hits and candor

"Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games," Reid said in a statement. "He developed himself into a Pro Bowl middle linebacker through a lot of hard work and desire. In my mind, he will always be a Philadelphia Eagle and I'm sure he feels the same way."

The team scheduled a news conference with Trotter for Tuesday.

The 30-year-old Trotter spent four seasons in Philadelphia before an acrimonious departure as a free agent after the 2001 season. Trotter spent two unsuccessful years with the Washington Redskins, but made amends with Reid and signed a one-year deal with the Eagles following the 2003 season.

He started the 2004 season on special teams but ended up in the Pro Bowl. He had been the starter in the middle since.

The Eagles drafted Trotter out of Stephen F. Austin in the third round in 1998. He became the starting middle linebacker the next season and set a career high with 202 tackles in 1999.
    Surprised me to read this today. He must be having more problems than anyone ever knew. Someone will want him I'm sure, I jus hope it's not the Rams.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    We gotta have him....Don't we??
    I'd say we should at least bring him in and take a look. Looking at the merchandise doesn't cost us a thing. Even if he's lost a step, as we're being told, I'll take a guy that hits over a fast LB that whiffs on a tackle and can't stuff a hole. We've got enough of them. :\

If he is damaged goods, we pass. If it's something more that we feel we can deal with for a year, maybe.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

itsguud is offline Registered User

WE NEED HIM. HE is the perfect LB for this team a bigger run stopping LB. I'm tired of having small facst guys who can't knock an RB down. Lets starting building a D like it was ment to be... BIG!

RealRam is offline Registered User

There will be / there are several teams interested in JT. I'd say we are one of them but perhpas not at the top of the list as probables.

It must be tough for a veteran like Trotter to choose now where to go -- aside from contract$, that is. According to his coach, Andy Reid, this LB "will always be an Eagle".

Keenum is offline Registered User

Our LB depth is pretty decent, why can't other teams cut some stud defensive backs for us to jump at?

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    WE NEED HIM. HE is the perfect LB for this team a bigger run stopping LB. I'm tired of having small facst guys who can't knock an RB down. Lets starting building a D like it was ment to be... BIG!
    Just playin' devil's advocate, but.......what if the big LB's knees are so bad he can't get to the RB to knock him down?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just playin' devil's advocate, but.......what if the big LB's knees are so bad he can't get to the RB to knock him down?
    Or needs help getting off the bowl?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's also remember that Trotter was a free agent disappointment when he left Philadelphia for Washington in 2002. He seems to excel in Jim Johnson's defense, but at his age, with his injury problems, and past failures outside the system, I think he's got a significant question mark by his name. Personally I doubt he'd be much of an upgrade unless a team simply doesn't have anything at MLB.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast