Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Eagles to release Pro Bowler Trotter

Unless he calls it a day and retires, I could see Trotter catching on as a back-up ILB on a 3-4 defense. In a 3-4, he would have more opportunity to focus on the run within the tackle box, and less on coverage. I don't think he has much (or any) experience in a 3-4, but that may be his only shot at this point.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I'm blown away here. Based on what we've seen so far, the Rams appear to "again" be one of the worst tackling defenses/special teams in the NFL. We can either wait and hope things get better, like many with their rose colored glasses on this board appear to be doing, or we (the Rams) can do something about it.

They apparently have no interest in a Gerrard Warren, or a Chris Jenkins to add Bulk at DT and help out our small LB's, and then move Carriker back to DE where he played in College and have a HUGE defensive line. They just want to stick with Carricker, a rookie, to solve our problems of getting pushed around.

Now, Jermiah Freekin Trotter is out there and the majority response is a measly "yeah, he's worth taking a look at".

He would bring experience and probably takes better angles and wraps up better with a broken leg than most of our LB's/Safeties.

Of course evaluate him to make sure he's not on 2 bum knees, but are we just going into the season with cap space and not making another move? This would be the move I'd like to see. I would think the thought process would be "if there's any chance he can still play and we can get him on our team, we NEED to make a play for him".

No?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Of course evaluate him to make sure he's not on 2 bum knees
    The chances of his knees not being a problem for him right now seem slim to none. Why do you think the Eagles released him now? Chances are they wanted to see him in camp, and when they did, they didn't like the progress he's made and were fine with parting ways.

Guys in Jeremiah Trotter's situation (age, lingering injury concern, past failure outside of original scheme) typically don't go to another team at this point in their career and turn it around. He'd be a decent back up, but we seem to already have a good back-up MLB in Draft.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Isn't Draft backing up Chillar, no WW?

I just think we're too small at LB. 5.0 is too small. He looks like a safety out there.

Isn't Draft backing up Chillar, no WW?

I just think we're too small at LB. 5.0 is too small. He looks like a safety out there.
    Raonall Smith is backing up Chillar, to my knowledge. I think in the preseason games, Draft has been taking the second team MLB reps.

As for Pisa's size, we signed him to a five year extension last season so the team must feel he's good there.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm blown away here. Based on what we've seen so far, the Rams appear to "again" be one of the worst tackling defenses/special teams in the NFL. We can either wait and hope things get better, like many with their rose colored glasses on this board appear to be doing, or we (the Rams) can do something about it.

They apparently have no interest in a Gerrard Warren, or a Chris Jenkins to add Bulk at DT and help out our small LB's, and then move Carriker back to DE where he played in College and have a HUGE defensive line. They just want to stick with Carricker, a rookie, to solve our problems of getting pushed around.

Now, Jermiah Freekin Trotter is out there and the majority response is a measly "yeah, he's worth taking a look at".

He would bring experience and probably takes better angles and wraps up better with a broken leg than most of our LB's/Safeties.

Of course evaluate him to make sure he's not on 2 bum knees, but are we just going into the season with cap space and not making another move? This would be the move I'd like to see. I would think the thought process would be "if there's any chance he can still play and we can get him on our team, we NEED to make a play for him".

No?
    renrawtruk,

What you've posted makes alot of sense. Think about this for a second if you will?
    1. Trotter must have some physical issues or the Eagles wouldn't have let him go.
    2. It's still early, meaning there will be more players of interest let go in the near future.
    3. I wouldn't be surprised if Linehan and/or Haslett have their spies out there looking for potential players they have on a private target list.

So really we need to be patient and see who else becomes available.

Based on what we've seen so far, the Rams appear to "again" be one of the worst tackling defenses/special teams in the NFL.
    Not that preseason is all that telling, but "what we've seen so far" is a Rams defense that after two games is tied for 1st in the league (236.5 ypg).
    They apparently have no interest in a Gerrard Warren, or a Chris Jenkins to add Bulk at DT and help out our small LB's,
    Kennedy is bulky. Did he help the LBs?
    Yes. Jeremiah Freakin Trotter was cut by a team who replaced him with a 2nd year weakside LB. If Jeremiah Freakin Trotter can't even keep his spot from a 2nd year (and smaller) LB who is switching positions, why should we believe he will be our defensive saviour.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

All the criticisms of Trotter that have been made in this thread are reasonable, but it remains within the realm of possibility that he could be still be a productive player. After all, with all of his issues, he still had over 100 tackles last year. In the last game two games he played (both in the playoffs) he had 8 tackles (leading the team) and five tackles with a forced fumble.

Given all this, I think it would make sense to bring him in, work him out, find out what kind of money he's demanding, and then make a decision.

Worth a look? Sure, especially for running downs. However, I think the fans who see him as the final piece of the "turn this D around" puzzle will be sorely disappointed.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Yeah we should definitley bring him in, though considering the Eagles cut him and told him to seek retirement, with all his injuries, I don't think we'll get the Jeremiah of old. Sure we can bring him in and see how he is doing.

OK, so let's assume for a minute that Trotter is mostly washed up. I'm looking for all your insights, since I'm not sure what the best move would be. What do we even want if available?

What position (or even particular player) would you like to see the Rams upgrade between now and the start of the season, if we somehow could. (I'm assuming most of you believe we could use another impact player on defense?).

some hypotheticals:

Would it be a good move to bring in a solid veteran DT and move Carriker to DE?

If we had more of a "true" MLB, could WW and 5.0 be the OLB's? Do you want this or are you OK with our current LB corps?

Is Haslett out of sync because he can't run the defense he wants to? Could he run a 3-4 with these guys? Don't we have a lot of "tweeners" that could be used in a 3-4?

Would a "Troy Polamalu" type safety be the piece we need?

Obviously many of these upgrades would help, but what single move do you think would have the biggest impact to improving this defense? What type of player are you hoping gets on the waiver wire for us to pick up?

Would it be a good move to bring in a solid veteran DT and move Carriker to DE?
    Not at all, IMO. We drafted him and immediately named him a defensive tackle. That's where he's been working and seeing the vast majority if not all of his time. All of that work is wasted IMO if you decide now to move him back outside, without seeing anything of him in the regular season.

If we had more of a "true" MLB, could WW and 5.0 be the OLB's? Do you want this or are you OK with our current LB corps?
    Neither WW nor Pisa are ideal strong side linebacker candidates. We're essentially have one true MLB and two WILL linebackers. Besides, again, we'd be wasting the work and progress Witherspoon has made at MLB.

Is Haslett out of sync because he can't run the defense he wants to? Could he run a 3-4 with these guys? Don't we have a lot of "tweeners" that could be used in a 3-4?
    I don't think so. We lack a 3-4 nose, and I don't think we have the ILB candidates to make it work either.

Would a "Troy Polamalu" type safety be the piece we need?
    The piece? I dunno. I don't think there's one missing piece that is suddenly going to make this defense dominant. But adding a player who is among the top five at his position in the league (which is where I think Polamlu is) certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Obviously many of these upgrades would help, but what single move do you think would have the biggest impact to improving this defense? What type of player are you hoping gets on the waiver wire for us to pick up?
    Personally I would like to see us add another pass rusher. I think for better or worse we're set at linebacker. I think we have enough at corner to feel good about it, though if a potential starter is available that might be an option.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Personally I would like to see us add another pass rusher.
    Agreed. However, not much out there, other than Simeon Rice, who may not be healthy and probably wants big $, and Lance Johnstone, who may not have anything left in the tank.

I think for better or worse we're set at linebacker.
    Not sure I fully agree. Right now, there are three LBs on the roster who are starter material (Pisa, WW, Chillar, Draft). Not a lot of depth behind them, unless Alston blossoms very quickly.

I think we have enough at corner to feel good about it, though if a potential starter is available that might be an option.
    Well, unless we want to trade for Assante Samuel and give him a big contract, we're going to have to go with what we have.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Post Re: Eagles to release Pro Bowler Trotter

This is from the CBS SportsLine Rumor Mill:

Updated:08/23/2007
    The Steeler's front office could pursue Eagles MLB Jeremiah Trotter, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Even though Pittsburgh has James Farrior at that position, they might try to use Trotter as an outside linebacker. The Eagles determined that Trotter had lost a step, which is why the Steelers released linebacker Joey Porter.
    Updated:08/23/2007
    The Tampa Tribune reports that the Bucs set up a visit with veteran MLB Jeremiah Trotter, just released by the Eagles. The Bucs are determined to bolster the middle linebacker spot following the April release of Shelton Quarles. If he signs with Tampa Bay, Trotter would compete against third-year pro Barrett Ruud for the starting job.
    Last edited by prof22693; -08-23-2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: italics

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agreed. However, not much out there, other than Simeon Rice, who may not be healthy and probably wants big $, and Lance Johnstone, who may not have anything left in the tank.
    I agree, the pool of available pass rushers is not grand right now. Perhaps someone who could contribute as a situational guy gets the pink slip in the coming weeks though.

Not sure I fully agree. Right now, there are three LBs on the roster who are starter material (Pisa, WW, Chillar, Draft). Not a lot of depth behind them, unless Alston blossoms very quickly.
    You listed four players, not three.

What I see when I look at our LBs are two guys (Spoon, Pisa) whom our front office is basically committed to as starters because of their skill and financial situations. I see one average linebacker (Chillar) whom the coaches seem to like. I see a very talented linebacker (Draft) whom is likely one of the top back-up LBs in the league right now. As you point out, there's also Alston, whom again Haslett seems to like. That's three starting jobs basically set, and two back-ups. I would consider that pretty much locked up.

Besides, the depth argument wouldn't be a useful one to make in regards to signing Trotter, since he'd be adding depth at a position where we're strong (MLB w/ Spoon and Draft).

Well, unless we want to trade for Assante Samuel and give him a big contract, we're going to have to go with what we have.
    Maybe, maybe not. Who knows who gets cut between now and the regular season? This secondary isn't talented enough to take a player of Samuel-caliber to challenge for a starting job, IMO. I certainly wouldn't rule out finding an additional veteran presence as the roster cuts are made, someone who could compete with Walls, Wade, or even Bartell for playing time. Bartell has not impressed me that much through two preseason games, and I personally think Wade is too raw to start. I don't have much faith in Lenny Walls outside of being a depth player. So IMO, improvements could be made if the talent is available, and we can't say whether it will or won't be at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    This is from the CBS SportsLine Rumor Mill:
    CBS's analysis of the Trotter Tampa visit isn't entirely accurate based on what's being said. Gruden is committed to Barrett Rudd as the starting middle linebacker, so if they sign Trotter, it would be for depth in the event of injury rather than to come in and challenge for a starting job.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-23-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast