Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: espn ranks hawks #1

This poll is right where we need to be and is not inaccurate by any means. Preseason means nothing. The only thing that matters is where you end the season on this poll.

KH...do you really think it will matter 5 years from now that you even made the 2005 Super Bowl?? The only thing that really counts is winning the big show. Everything else is just statistics.

KentuckyHawk is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    This poll is right where we need to be and is not inaccurate by any means. Preseason means nothing. The only thing that matters is where you end the season on this poll.

KH...do you really think it will matter 5 years from now that you even made the 2005 Super Bowl?? The only thing that really counts is winning the big show. Everything else is just statistics.

Apparently you guys didn't read my entire post. I agree with you. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. However, I stand by my assertion that fans of any team would be happy with a preseason ranking in the top 5 or even the top 10. And if you say that NONE of the Rams fans would you would be wrong.

As far as making it to the 2005 Super Bowl does mean something. It means revenue. It means more TV coverage. It means a broadening fan base (even if they are just bandwagon jumpers).

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The rankings can just stay as they are. The more I think about it, the less upset I am.

Why?

Well, for one thing, it leaves us a LOT of room to improve. When you are at the top, and you don't perform up to expectations, everyone calls you a 'has been'. Ranked in the place we are, if we show marked improvement this year, everyone will call us 'comeback kids'.
    Another thing is expectations. Other teams won't expect us to be a threat. Remember 1999? We weren't supposed to be a threat then, either. Other teams having a low expectation of us can be a benefit to us.
    Yet another factor is the disappointment factor. We have a new coaching staff, a new scheme, and a lot of new players. We all want to see the Rams on top, but throwing all those new elements together might not work as good as we hope this year. If we go from #22 to #10, that's a HUGE improvement. If we went from #14 to #10, that's a small improvement, and then the disappointment sets in. I'd rather rise 12 spots than fall 4 or 5.
    And, as has been repeated many times....it's just a poll done in June. Nobody knows how any team will perform.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

You can have ALL the bandwagon jumpers!!

In my experience, they seldom bring anything to the table besides cheese and LOTS OF WHINE.

Along with all your fandom, be prepared to have every team bringing their A game with them this year when they play the Hawks. You all will have a huge target on your forehead with huge expectations from your so called fans. Then, if you don't make it to "the game", be prepared for mutiny from your so called fans and then worse yet, from your own team. Because once you are on top, the only place to go is down.

You can have ALL the bandwagon jumpers!!
    guess you didn't get a lot of fair-weathered fans after your Super Bowl win, huh?

Along with all your fandom, be prepared to have every team bringing their A game with them this year when they play the Hawks. You all will have a huge target on your forehead with huge expectations from your so called fans.
    but preseason rankings don't mean anything, do they?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Apparently you guys didn't read my entire post. I agree with you. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. However, I stand by my assertion that fans of any team would be happy with a preseason ranking in the top 5 or even the top 10. And if you say that NONE of the Rams fans would you would be wrong.
    Speaking of reading entire posts, the original statement was "no credible Rams fan would care about pre-season rankings". And that is simply true. Look at our past 7 seasons....we've been all over the place on those stupid rankings, and yet no credible fan around here cared less.

Look, I understand your dilemma, hawk. You guys have finally done something worthwhile....gone to the big dance. Congratulations, it's something to hang your hat on. But now you guys aren't sure where to go from here. You've peaked behind the curtain, now what?

Well, let me tell you, the two worst things you can do are:

1. moan and groan about the outcome of your last game.

Okay, so it's too late for that. You guys blamed everyone and their mother for that loss, but now you can move forward to #2.

2. By-pass the upcoming season in assumption that you're still the king of the NFC hill.

You might make it back, but there are 16 weeks of opposition seeing you as their personal super bowl. That's a hard road to walk........just ask the '99 Falcons, '01 Giants, '02 Rams, '03 Raiders, '04 Panthers, and '05 Eagles.

guess you didn't get a lot of fair-weathered fans after your Super Bowl win, huh?
    Yes, there were. And they stuck around until the 0-5 start of 2002. Then they jumped ship like a bunch of lemmings, and tried to take the rest of us with them. You'll soon know what I'm talking about.
    but preseason rankings don't mean anything, do they?
    You missed Wraith's point, partner. Teams aren't gunning for you because you're ranked in some preseason poll.......teams are gunning for you because you have the word "defending" in front of your champion title.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

There ranking the whiners in order, of course.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Speaking of reading entire posts, the original statement was "no credible Rams fan would care about pre-season rankings". And that is simply true. Look at our past 7 seasons....we've been all over the place on those stupid rankings, and yet no credible fan around here cared less.

Look, I understand your dilemma, hawk. You guys have finally done something worthwhile....gone to the big dance. Congratulations, it's something to hang your hat on. But now you guys aren't sure where to go from here. You've peaked behind the curtain, now what?

Well, let me tell you, the two worst things you can do are:

1. moan and groan about the outcome of your last game.

Okay, so it's too late for that. You guys blamed everyone and their mother for that loss, but now you can move forward to #2.

2. By-pass the upcoming season in assumption that you're still the king of the NFC hill.

You might make it back, but there are 16 weeks of opposition seeing you as their personal super bowl. That's a hard road to walk........just ask the '99 Falcons, '01 Giants, '02 Rams, '03 Raiders, '04 Panthers, and '05 Eagles.

Yes, there were. And they stuck around until the 0-5 start of 2002. Then they jumped ship like a bunch of lemmings, and tried to take the rest of us with them. You'll soon know what I'm talking about. You missed Wraith's point, partner. Teams aren't gunning for you because you're ranked in some preseason poll.......teams are gunning for you because you have the word "defending" in front of your champion title.
    Just so its clear, I did not whine about XL. Did it suck that we lost, yes. Is there anything that can't be done about it, no.

As far as us not knowing where to go from here, we have a destination in mind...MIAMI.

Do I think it will be a tough season? Absolutely. Steve Hutchinson was a big loss for us and it will impact the way Shaun runs the ball and the amount of time Hass has to throw. I think we did fairly well in the draft and filled some much needed holes.

I may have missed Wraith's point, but I think mine has been lost somewhere in this thread as well. As a matter of fact, I have agreed several times, that pre-season means nothing, but it is a starting point in determining talent and weaknesses. Do I put a lot of faith in them? Not at all.

As far as us not knowing where to go from here, we have a destination in mind...MIAMI.
    You and 31 other teams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

You and 31 other teams.
    Those other teams will end up at the exact same place, a little town I like to call, DISAPPOINTMENT.

But seriously, isn't a trip to the Super Bowl every team's ultimate destination? Guess we'll take our chances like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyHawk
    Those other teams will end up at the exact same place, a little town I like to call, DISAPPOINTMENT.

But seriously, isn't a trip to the Super Bowl every team's ultimate destination? Guess we'll take our chances like everyone else.
    And that's just it. The SB IS every team dream. And right now every team (in the NFC anyway) sees you as the barometer for SB caliber. If they can beat you, they can play in the SB.....at least that's the current measuring stick.

So the problem you will face is EVERY week, you have to play the SB all over again.

And that's just it. The SB IS every team dream. And right now every team (in the NFC anyway) sees you as the barometer for SB caliber. If they can beat you, they can play in the SB.....at least that's the current measuring stick.

So the problem you will face is EVERY week, you have to play the SB all over again.

I really think the Hawks did a great job with the draft and we have a very strong team returning, so if we have to play the Super Bowl every week, that's fine, just give us a different officiating team.

I think pro athletes in all should play every game like it's a championship game. PLAY HARD OR GO HOME.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyHawk

I think pro athletes in all should play every game like it's a championship game. PLAY HARD OR GO HOME.
    This statement right here is where I chime in with an "AMEN!"

I only wish we could see more of this brand of attitude from every team, as it could do a bit to level the playing field. At the very least, it would make for some very exciting battles. Fewer lopsided games, less humiliation, bloodbaths....(Tim Allen grunt).

OK, I'm better now.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12