Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

ESPN's John Clayton: Rams Should Persue Haynesworth

ESPN Senior Writer and Pro Football Hall of Fame Writer John Clayton was a guest on this mornings "The Bob Stelton Show" on 101 ESPN.

Show host Bob Stelton asked Clayton if the Rams should persue Albert Haynesworth if the price was right. Clayton said yes, that Haynesworth would be a great fit in the Spags defensive scheme (allowing DT's to shoot gaps and make plays).

He says that Haynesworth responds better to a nuturing coach like Spags than a hard a** like Shanahan.

Clayton said something to the effect that Haynesworth could be had for a 4th round pick which would be a steal for one of the best D-Linemen in the league. And what makes it a better bargain is that Haynesworth has already received most of the $40+ million in guiarantees from the Redskins. If the Rams traded for him, it would basically be a 4 year, $24 million dollar deal.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Re: ESPN's John Clayton: Rams Should Persue Haynesworth

Please Santa,

I dont want a christmas present, Just give me give this in september and I will be happy

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Actually looks like Redskins are working a deal with the Titans. Move this thread!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I think I can safely say that Mark Clayton need only catch one pass for a first down to contribute more to the future success of The Rams than John Clayton does with this idea. Doesn't he read his own site?! The Fat Albert soap opera has to be the most absurd off season story of the year.

And there's a big difference between "nurturing" motivated team-oriented guys and babysitting a spoiled baby huey.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think I can safely say that Mark Clayton need only catch one pass for a first down to contribute more to the future success of The Rams than John Clayton does with this idea. Doesn't he read his own site?! The Fat Albert soap opera has to be the most absurd off season story of the year.

And there's a big difference between "nurturing" motivated team-oriented guys and babysitting a spoiled baby huey.
    Agreed. Just because John Clayton is a "Hall of Fame" writer, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. Of course the talent and ability of Haynesworth is desirable, but his penchant for creating distractions and disharmony far outwiegh his value on the field. The Rams are weeding out problematic players with bad attitudes, not adding them. Spags doesn't need a head case to "nurture", nor do I think he'd want one.

Then again, if we needed someone to stomp on an helmetless opponents head when they're lying on the ground, Albert would be a good pickup.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

No, No, No, No, No. No, and NO

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I personally would love it if we could pick him up. I am a huge believer that a change of scenery does wonders for players. He was never happy with the 3-4 scheme they implemented. Now he didn't go about it the right way, but if ya want out ya want out. He still is one of the most dominant defensive tackles in the league, for a fourth round pick? Child please.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont care what baggage anyone thinks this guy carries, i defy anyone to tell me that at the price of a 4th round pick, he doesnt make our team MUCH better. The guy is a pro bowl caliber player at a critical defensive position. WHo exactly do the rams have at the tackle position that remotely reminds anyone of this guy talent and performance wise. I wouldnt trade a high pick and i wouldnt pay a ton of money, but at a mid round pick on a manageable contract (especially with the cuffs off based on the ownership change), i dont see how we could pass this up. That said, i view the odds of it happening as incredibly slim. The NFL is simply not a league of choir boys. Character counts, its very important, but talent is the most important component of a successful team. The most talented team doesnt always win, but without talent, its very very tough to win and i find it impossible to equate haynseworth with the available talent of a fourth round pick. Would anyone here take mardy gilyard straight up over haynesworth? COme on now!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

A 4th round pick to grab a premiere DT for $5 million a year for four years.... in a heart beat.

I agree to pass if he has issues but those issues would have to be something like assault, dui or an "I heart Belichick" tatoo.

Most of us wouldn't have flinched to spend our 1st round pick on Suh and now we could get a player, that in the short term, would be better than Suh.... for a 4th. Wow.

Now that being said I don't think it will happen but fingers are crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I personally would love it if we could pick him up. I am a huge believer that a change of scenery does wonders for players. He was never happy with the 3-4 scheme they implemented. Now he didn't go about it the right way, but if ya want out ya want out. He still is one of the most dominant defensive tackles in the league, for a fourth round pick? Child please.
    Haynesworth got a change of scenery in Washington and it's turned out to be a complete disaster. He was a major team disruption to the Titans and now to the Redskins. I don't think a young, developing Rams team needs a guy who won't think twice about brazenly defying his coaching staff, fighting with teammates, or cheap shotting opponents. I'd be willing to bet DeSpags agrees with me.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-07-2010 at 10:20 PM.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Remember when Albert stomped on the head of a helmetless Cowgirls player? I hate the Cowgirls, but there was no call for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Remember when Albert stomped on the head of a helmetless Cowgirls player? I hate the Cowgirls, but there was no call for that.
    I seem to remember someone referencing that a few posts ago.

I also remember Haynesworth kicking teammate Justin Hartwig in the chest during training camp in a fit of range, and bodyslamming Maurice Jones-Drew in another fit of rage. I remember him being a menace off the field too. Like while driving his Ferrari well over a hundred miles an hour down the interstate, he collided with another car, partially paralyzing the other driver.

Great guy, and very stable.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Lets get the clown...... give us a little drama!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Shanahallen is offline Registered User

Hiya, guys --

Not here to troll. I come in peace. I'm a Redskins fan (and Sam Bradford fan, wishing we had gotten him for our team).

We've made a few deals now since Shahanan became our coach. Like it or not, the Carriker deal and the DeMo/Hall Davis trades will wed us for awhile.

I wish you guys well. And I believe I'm speaking for a lot of Skins fans when I say we would love nothing more than having you take AH off our hands.

It's not that he's not a great player. But the conversion to a 3-4 is like what you experienced with Carriker in reverse. AH belongs in a 4-3 and anyplace where he will be allowed to freelance/chase the QB.

He doesn't like to be disciplined, and we have, if nothing else, a hard-nosed disciplinarian as coach.

I agree with the poster here who said that AH responds more to love than criticism. That's why a lot of fans refer to him as Big Baby.

The system we're using now demands selflessness and role responsibility. You guys probably don't follow the Skins much, but the situation is a lot like what we had with LaVar Arrington. Great when he could freelance. Unmotivated and, frankly, reckless when asked to reign it in.

But here's the bad news: a 4th won't get it done.

The bottleneck with the Titans is that Shanahan and Allen are determined to get SOME return on the 21 million that was paid to Albert up front. They feel betrayed because Haynesworth promised that he was all in before the check was signed.

This is NOT a Housh situation where the Hawks let him walk in an uncapped year.

We love Carriker in DC and I'm almost willing to see Albert go to you guys just to close that gap. Then again, we wanted to draft Mardy Gilliard and you guys stole him before we had the chance.

I'm kidding, of course.

But here's one more nugget to consider: Albert is motivated for all kinds of selfish reasons. He wants numbers. He wants money. I guess he wants to win too. So if you're in a rebuilding phase, you'd be much better off (IMHO) drafting next year's Suh than expecting Albert to give 100% for more than a couple plays a game. He's just not the kind of guy who plays from love for the game, or that sort of thing.

Buyer beware.

Remember: he's the reason Danny won't fire up Redskins 1 again to go sign checks for the next great free agent. That was a scalding that won't be repeated anytime soon.

Not as long as Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are in charge.

Best of luck to you all!

Shanahallen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Lets get the clown...... give us a little drama!
    Be careful what you ask for...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast