HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ex-Bear Gault sets world record in master's 100m

Ex-Bear Gault sets world record in master's 100m

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Chicago Bears wide receiver Willie Gault set a world record of 10.72 seconds in the master's 100 meters, a division for athletes aged 45 to 49.

The previous mark was held by Neville Hodge, who ran 10.96 on April 27, 2001. Gault was faster May 15, finishing in 10.79 seconds but there was no wind reading during that race. On Saturday, he was even quicker at the U.S. track and field championship.

"I feel pretty satisfied with the time I ran," he said. "I ran a 10.49 last year, and I expected the same thing or something similar and I think I can do that in the right situation."

The 45-year-old Gault was a track and football star at the University of Tennessee and played on the Chicago Bears 1985 Super Bowl championship team.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Ex-Bear Gault sets world record in master's 100m

As if I needed something else to make me feel slow and fat.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Damn, Willie Gault may have been the fastest WR ever in the history of the NFL. He could absolutley fly.

Let's put this into perspective. Just last month, American Justin Gatlin broke the world record in the 100m with a time of 9.76 seconds. That's exactly 1 second faster than Gault. Now, I understand that's a big difference in professional track terms, but in normal terms think about that for a little bit........

Over the distance of one goalline to the back of the opposite endzone (100 meters, not yards) the difference between the fastest man in the history of the planet and a 45-year-old......I repeat....45-year-old Willie Gault is.....

One Mississippi

That's it! Only 1 second from the fastest human in the world.....and 45 to boot!!!!

That's pretty wild, if you ask me.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

That is absolutely amazing. I wonder what Kevin Curtis or Tye Hill would run it in?