Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ex NFL Scout Believes Whiners Are Screwing Up ..

Matt Maiocco
    CSNBayArea.com
    The late Tony Razzano was the head of the ***** scouting department and deserves as much -- if not, more -- historical accolades as Bill Walsh for the franchise's drafts that largely stocked the roster with players that won five Super Bowls.

His son, Dave, 50, spent his first season out of the game last year after more than two decades when the Arizona Cardinals let him go as a regional scout following the franchise's first Super Bowl.

Dave Razzano, who worked for the ***** from 1988 to '92, has been with five teams that went to Super Bowls. Two of those Super Bowl teams had Joe Montana. Kurt Warner was the quarterback of the other three. Razzano has some strong opinions about the *****' current quarterback position.

He got fired after more than a decade as a Rams scout four years ago in large part because of his defense of a critical pre-draft evaluation of quarterback Alex Smith, Razzano told Comcast SportsNet.

"I had him rated as a non-starting player," Razzano said of Smith, whom the ***** selected with the top overall pick in the 2005 draft.

Even as Smith enters his sixth professional season, ***** followers are divided on Smith's ability to be a successful NFL quarterback. Smith has said he realizes he will not be able to win over all of his naysayers. And when it comes to those critics, Razzano is at the front of the line.

"I thought he was way over-drafted and way overrated," Razzano said. "I don't think I've been proven wrong. The guy hasn't done it, and he'll get another opportunity. He's getting a little better with the touchdown throws to Vernon Davis. But, boy, the guy I saw at Utah, I was shocked people had him rated that high."

Razzano said then-Rams general manager Charlie Armey asked him to change his grade on Smith to conform with the higher grades others in the Rams' draft room had assigned Smith. The scene escalated into an ugly shouting match. Razzano said he refused to alter his evaluation of Smith. It was the beginning of the end with the Rams for Razzano, he said. He was fired after the 2006 draft (Armey did not immediately respond to CSNBayArea.com's call.)

Razzano quickly landed with the Cardinals. Shortly after the Cardinals' appearance in the Super Bowl, Razzano's contract was not renewed after cuts to the team's scouting department, he said.

Having worked in the scouting departments for three NFC West franchises, Razzano pays close attention to the happenings within the division. He lives in Sacramento and remains intrigued by the *****' quarterback situation. He said he is a firm believer the ***** are starting the wrong quarterback.

Smith got back on the field last season after missing most of 2007 and all of 2008 with shoulder injuries. He showed enough to head coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye to nail down the starting job. Smith completed 60.5 percent of his passes with 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His 81.5 passer rating ranked 19th in the league. The ***** were 5-5 in games Smith started.

Over the past several months, Smith drew lavish praise from his teammates and ***** coaches for his offseason practice sessions and his leadership off the field. But Razzano remains skeptical. He said he does not believe the ***** can win with Smith at quarterback.

"I think he's exactly what I thought he'd be -- maybe a little worse," Razzano said. "I thought he'd be a decent backup. But I watch him now, he just doesn't have the winning mentality. But he's a good kid and a smart kid and he probably looks good in practice. He misses simple 7-yard outs. He's just not accurate and he doesn't have the moxie."

One quarterback on the *****' roster Razzano said he believes can be a highly successful NFL player is Nate Davis, who entered the NFL draft following his junior season at Ball State. Razzano said he had Davis rated higher than Smith as an NFL prospect.

"When I evaluated him, I thought he was the same guy as Mark Sanchez," Razzano said. "I thought they were very similar. But you have to put a guy on the field and let him play. There's a reason Ball State was, like, 12-1 or 13-1 for the first time ever. And now they're back to winning two games. That guy was a heck of a quarterback.

"They might say, 'He doesn't learn this or that.' If they just handed him the keys, that's their answer. He'll make mistakes, but he won't make the same mistake twice. This kid made every throw imaginable. It wasn't a short-passing game (at Ball State). There would be guys in his face and he'd roll out, man, he hit guys on a 30-yard freakin' strike between defenders. The kid was unbelievable. I knew he'd fall (in the draft) because in the spring all that garbage comes in."

Davis tumbled down draft boards after he played his final game at Ball State, presumably because of a learning disability. The ***** selected Davis late in the fifth round. He might get an opportunity this summer to compete with David Carr for the team's backup position, but he poses no immediate threat to Smith's status as the starter.

The Cardinals have won two consecutive NFC West titles. The *****, coming off an 8-8 record, are expected to seriously contend for the division title. In a survey of five preseason magazines, the ***** were picked in each to win the division. But Razzano gives the slight nod to Arizona, he said.

"It's a two-horse race," Razzano said. "You just throw out Seattle and St. Louis. They are so far away, personnel-wise.

"It's really only two teams. Losing Warner, there are a lot of question marks for the Cardinals. You can pick one or the other, Cardinals or *****. (Cardinals quarterback Matt) Leinart is a big question mark. I know those coaches don't care for him. I was there. I know that for a fact. He just doesn't prepare.

"But Leinart, I feel, is better than Smith. In terms of that division, I still give the edge to the Cardinals. It'll be a dogfight. The ***** will be what they are, 8-8, maybe 9-7 this year because of the division. But I don't see them being a legitimate playoff team because of Alex Smith."

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Ex NFL Scout Believes Whiners Are Screwing Up ..

This Razzano guy has a lot of opinions; I wonder what he thinks of Sam Bradford as the Rams QB.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Yep just throw the Rams on out of the race. God knows everyone else has lol..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I put alot more weight on the loss of Warner. As much as I hate to admit it I feel like the Whiners are the team to beat in the WEST and the Cardinals, Seahawks and RAMS will be in a dogfight for 2nd place.

JustinPoole is offline Registered User

I just love being a part of the worst division in football.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

The Whiners are getting way too much credit before the season has even started!!! They got a hell of a run defense, but how are they gonna stop Bradford? With Taylor Mays!?!? HAHAHA Lets keep everything in perspective!!!

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

There was a report from one of the beat writers that the coaches weren't happy with Nate Davis's progress learning the offense. He has a lot of potential, but it would seem We'll see how he plays in preseason. It's too bad he didn't get to work out with McNabb this summer. Davis might do well after he gets on the field and learns the ropes, but the team is looking to win now. Smith gives them the best chance for that. I think the coaching staff gets the axe if they don't make the playoffs this year.

As for Razzano, the fact that he considers Leinart better than Smith pretty much invalidates his opinion as far as I'm concerned. Leinart is awful. He was throwing to Fitzgerald and Boldin and couldn't even handle mop-up duty last year.

I'm guessing there's a reason Razzano is a former scout and not a current one.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    The Whiners are getting way too much credit before the season has even started!!! They got a hell of a run defense, but how are they gonna stop Bradford? With Taylor Mays!?!? HAHAHA Lets keep everything in perspective!!!
    They'll probably just sack him.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

People do have opinions true. But wonder if the Rams will get the last laugh?!
    Happy NFL Training Camp!

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    They'll probably just sack him.
    O true, very true. But in the long run, I don't see you guys having a very good secondary once Bradford finds his rhythm. Taylor Mays was the wrong guy to pick for that task. You better hope that Bradford isnt the second coming of Peyton Manning.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

There was a report from one of the beat writers that the coaches weren't happy with Nate Davis's progress learning the offense. He has a lot of potential, but it would seem We'll see how he plays in preseason. It's too bad he didn't get to work out with McNabb this summer. Davis might do well after he gets on the field and learns the ropes, but the team is looking to win now. Smith gives them the best chance for that. I think the coaching staff gets the axe if they don't make the playoffs this year.

As for Razzano, the fact that he considers Leinart better than Smith pretty much invalidates his opinion as far as I'm concerned. Leinart is awful. He was throwing to Fitzgerald and Boldin and couldn't even handle mop-up duty last year.

I'm guessing there's a reason Razzano is a former scout and not a current one.
    You are willing to invalidate all of his opinions because of how Leinart played after coming off the bench as a backup? That's fair I guess?

O true, very true. But in the long run, I don't see you guys having a very good secondary once Bradford finds his rhythm. Taylor Mays was the wrong guy to pick for that task. You better hope that Bradford isnt the second coming of Peyton Manning.
    Are you serious?? You're just trying to bait me, right?

Why would I expect Bradford (or anyone else for that matter) to be the second coming of Peyton Manning? I don't see Bradford to have much of an impact as a rookie. There's plenty of time for the team to continue building its secondary. As for Mays, my expectation is that he'll be more of an in-the-box run-support safety. Like Michael Lewis, but more athletic. He won't really be responsible for shutting down the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    You are willing to invalidate all of his opinions because of how Leinart played after coming off the bench as a backup? That's fair I guess?
    I'm not just looking at how Leinart played coming off the bench, but also as a starter (awful). Does it lead me to invalidate all of his opinions? Not really, though it does bring his judgement into question and, to me at least, it does nullify his regarding the best QB for the Niners.

Are you serious?? You're just trying to bait me, right?

Why would I expect Bradford (or anyone else for that matter) to be the second coming of Peyton Manning? I don't see Bradford to have much of an impact as a rookie. There's plenty of time for the team to continue building its secondary. As for Mays, my expectation is that he'll be more of an in-the-box run-support safety. Like Michael Lewis, but more athletic. He won't really be responsible for shutting down the passing game.
    Which is exactly my piont. Mays is a run stoppin' monster. Just like the rest of your defense. That pick doesnt add another dimension and it doesn't imporve your defensive weaknesses. Nothing has changed.

Which is exactly my piont. Mays is a run stoppin' monster. Just like the rest of your defense. That pick doesnt add another dimension and it doesn't imporve your defensive weaknesses. Nothing has changed.
    Then I'd say you're underestimating the defense. I don't think it's as bad as you seem to think.
    Against the pass by the numbers:
    YPG - 229.4 (21st)
    QB rating - 76.2 (9th)
    Completion % - 60.7 (16th)
    YPA - 6.8 (14th)
    Passing TDs - 14 (T-2nd)
    Interceptions - 18 (T-11)

The big problem in the secondary is a lack of speed. Guys like Nate Clements and Michael Lewis were brought in to stop Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. While that has been fairly successful, the problem with that is that those two receivers, while very talented and physical, they aren't speed demons, and consequently, neither are the players the Niners brought in to stop them. The end result is that speedsters like DeSean Jackson and Roddy White run wild on our secondary because no one can catch them. What does Taylor Mays have, if nothing else? Speed. So if/when he gets into the starting lineup, that should be a big help in cutting down on some of those big plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast