r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Ex-St. Louis Ram Barron Seeks Fresh Start In Dallas

Ex-St. Louis Ram Barron seeks fresh start in Dallas
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr. Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram

05/16/2010

IRVING, Texas — Offensive tackle Alex Barron is coming to Dallas to compete for a starting job. At least that's his plan.

Barron, acquired by the Dallas Cowboys on Monday in a trade with the Rams for linebacker Bobby Carpenter, wants no part of the talk that he will serve as insurance for the unproven Doug Free at left tackle.

Barron has been a starter ever since he has been in the league and his goal is to start in Dallas.

"I feel good," Barron said, after the deal was finally completed. "It's a good thing for me and the team. I feel I can help them and get this thing rolling."

Barron said it's his understanding from the Cowboys that he will compete with Free to replace the departed Flozell Adams.

"They expect me to come in and compete for a left tackle spot," Barron said. "I'm going to give it my all and help the team the best way."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn't go that far, saying, "he process of managing an offensive line is always ongoing, and this acquisition was a great opportunity for our group."

Barron has started 74 of 76 games at right and left tackle since being taken in the first round of the 2005 draft. However, he struggled with penalties and bouts of inconsistency.

Barron gave up seven sacks and led the league with 15 penalties last season but said those woes are in the past and he is ready to start anew in Dallas.

"It won't be a problem here," Barron said of his penchant for penalties. "I'm ready to get this thing going here in Dallas."

His agent, Roosevelt Barnes, blamed part of Barron's problems on the losing atmosphere with the Rams —where Barron has gone through a number of head coaches, offensive coordinators and offensive line coaches.

"He handled the situation the best that he could," Barnes said. "He wasn't bitter. (The criticism) was part of the territory.

"If you are a high draft choice and the team is not winning, that's going to happen. We believe he will come in here and establish himself."

Barron was made expendable when the Rams drafted Rodger Saffold in the second round last month, one year after taking tackle Jason Smith in the first round.

In Dallas, he is already an upgrade at the third tackle spot behind Free and right tackle Marc Colombo — if he doesn't beat out Free for the starting job.

The Cowboys' other options are the inexperienced Robert Brewster and Sam Young after moving tackle Pat McQuistan to guard.

Left tackle is considered Barron's best position. He started there in 2007 and 2009 for the Rams.

Barnes said Barron is looking to finally make a name for himself among the tackles in the league.

With Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and Chris Samuels retired and Adams unemployed, Barnes said there is a void among top NFC left tackles that Barron is looking forward to filling.

"He is excited because of the expectations for the Cowboys," Barnes said. "He looks at the NFC and sees an opportunity. He has the mind-set that it's his time now to be one of the premier left tackles in the league. There is a void there and it's his time to take his spot."

Re: Ex-St. Louis Ram Barron Seeks Fresh Start In Dallas

Barron gave up seven sacks and led the league with 15 penalties last season but said those woes are in the past and he is ready to start anew in Dallas.

"It won't be a problem here," Barron said of his penchant for penalties. "I'm ready to get this thing going here in Dallas."
    Hmm. Just like that he can flip the switch and do a complete turnaround as far as committing penalties? Too bad he wasn't ever ready to "get this thing going" in St. Louis.

His agent, Roosevelt Barnes, blamed part of Barron's problems on the losing atmosphere with the Rams —where Barron has gone through a number of head coaches, offensive coordinators and offensive line coaches.

"He handled the situation the best that he could," Barnes said. "He wasn't bitter. (The criticism) was part of the territory.

"If you are a high draft choice and the team is not winning, that's going to happen. We believe he will come in here and establish himself."
    Interesting. It was the losing and coaching changes that caused the league leading number of penalties and the 7 sacks allowed. And who knew all the criticism had nothing to do with the mistakes, but was again a factor of the losing?? Sheesh.

Sarcasm setting off..........

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Ex-St. Louis Ram Barron seeks false start in Dallas
    By Clarence E. Hill Jr. Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram

05/16/2010
    Fixed that title for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Those Dallas beat writers have a lot to learn, don't they?

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Very first thing I thought as well

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Seriously Alex good luck in dallas, but please go buy a hearing aid before you take the first snap.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

"His agent, Roosevelt Barnes, blamed part of Barron's problems on the losing atmosphere with the Rams —where Barron has gone through a number of head coaches, offensive coordinators and offensive line coaches."

He is on a new team and with a new coach so is that his excuse that he wont get to start?

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I really have this eerie feeling that Barron might really succeed in Dallas. It's a feeling that makes me also believe he was just mailing it in this whole time in STL, because that's the type of person he is. The 'we aren't winning so why try' mentality.

If he pulls off some sort of career about face, I'll have no choice but to label him a phony.