Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Explain this crap (Redskins)

    How is it year, after year ,after year they can sign all these all these high price free agents. They seem to have this endless supply of money. Is there no time where they will be in salary cap hell. I just don't get it!! Can someone explain the phenomena to me?? GC, Nick, SOMEONE!?


  2. #2
    RamsFan16's Avatar
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,072
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Yea I made another thread on this. They sign alot of players to huge contracts and we can afford one or two good players usually. Its complete bs.!
    RamsFan16

  3. #3
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,555
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    How is it year, after year ,after year they can sign all these all these high price free agents. They seem to have this endless supply of money. Is there no time where they will be in salary cap hell. I just don't get it!! Can someone explain the phenomena to me?? GC, Nick, SOMEONE!?
    Since you opened up the reply to the "someone" category, I'll take a stab at it. The way I've heard it explained is....Snyder will make a couple of big splash signings every year, but there's no depth underneath them, and they rarely re-sign their own FAs. There's a nice facade of new high dollar FAs, but a house of league minimum cards underneath them.

    I haven't studied the skins salary structure or anything, but that's the way I've heard it explained.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #4
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    They have picked up some decent players and they are laying out the cash like crazy. I don't understand it myself.

    They have improved the quality of their WR group. They should be a much bigger offensive threat this season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    bigredman's Avatar
    bigredman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    in one to two years they will be in cap hell like the niners were two years ago. Im in Palm Springs on vacation using PSP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Seems like this is the quote every year. I still don' think this all adds up. Year and year out it is the same story. Maybe Hub has something, and it is complete lack of depth. Still don't get it.



    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    in one to two years they will be in cap hell like the niners were two years ago. Im in Palm Springs on vacation using PSP.

  7. #7
    SFCRamFan's Avatar
    SFCRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ft Walton Beach, Florida
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,005
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Correct me if I am wrong, Nick, but I think that this is the cap to cash thing that the owners and players were talking about during the CBA talks. You have to make up your payroll under the cap. However, they are allowed to spend a percentage of their own cash on salaries as well. I thought that the owners wanted to keep the cash level at around 2% of total team profit. In other words, if you are a franchise, like DC, that makes a large amount of money then your 2% is much more than let's say Cincinatti. I am not so sure what % that was, or if it was at all, agreed upon. Regardless, I believe that this is how they get away with this. Personally, I think that it is a crappy loophole. I hope that they completely stink up the Capital this year!!! It would serve Snyder right.


    :tongue:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

  8. #8
    RamsFan16's Avatar
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,072
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    in one to two years they will be in cap hell like the niners were two years ago. Im in Palm Springs on vacation using PSP.
    And I'm in 20 degree Iowa weather. Your so lucky
    RamsFan16

  9. #9
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,513
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Who have they obtained, though? Antuan Randle-El? Adam Archuleta? Brandon Lloyd? These are the players that are going to push them into contention? I don't think so.

  10. #10
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Who have they obtained, though? Antuan Randle-El? Adam Archuleta? Brandon Lloyd? These are the players that are going to push them into contention? I don't think so.
    They made it all the way into the playoffs without them. I think Lloyd and Randel el will be able to spread the defense and they will be able to pass more effectively. Moss has been easily contained since the did not have a decent #2 receiver. Bringing in experienced receivors was a good plan.

    I am not sure Arch is going to do anything for them. They already had their defense working well. He may fit in, but I don't think he is going to be any sort of leader over there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Bruce=GOAT's Avatar
    Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,110
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    I heard on the NFL network that cash is definitely the way the skins get around the cap. They give cash bonuses but then prorate them over the length of the deal. Shefter compared their ways as kinda like living off a credit card. Sooner or later , the bill will have to be paid.

  12. #12
    Rip32's Avatar
    Rip32 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Limerick,Ireland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Its kinda stupid and bullheaded how they go about getting things done,Snyder never thinks about 2-4 years down the line when he will have to cut these players that he totally overpays for i.e. Arch(Biggest contract for a safety ever,WOW)Andre Carter(Huge contract when nobody was biding against them).Im happy we dont have an owner like Snyder,yes he gets some big name players but have they won anything lately?

  13. #13
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,555
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    First off, Sarge, I'm glad to see you here. You know what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    Correct me if I am wrong, Nick, but I think that this is the cap to cash thing that the owners and players were talking about during the CBA talks. You have to make up your payroll under the cap. However, they are allowed to spend a percentage of their own cash on salaries as well. I thought that the owners wanted to keep the cash level at around 2% of total team profit. In other words, if you are a franchise, like DC, that makes a large amount of money then your 2% is much more than let's say Cincinatti. I am not so sure what % that was, or if it was at all, agreed upon. Regardless, I believe that this is how they get away with this. Personally, I think that it is a crappy loophole. I hope that they completely stink up the Capital this year!!! It would serve Snyder right.


    :tongue:
    Second, I hadn't heard about the details on this extra-cap cash salaries until now. Sarge, if you or anyone for that matter, has more information on this, I'd love to hear it. This sounds like a pretty interesting way around a portion of the cap.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #14
    Revelstoke's Avatar
    Revelstoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    I heard on the NFL network that cash is definitely the way the skins get around the cap. They give cash bonuses but then prorate them over the length of the deal. Shefter compared their ways as kinda like living off a credit card. Sooner or later , the bill will have to be paid.
    Yeah I saw the same thing, its all about giving big money, and then paying it a little at a time, with a big payment due way down the road.

    Its a good thing Snyder has lots of cash though, cause when its time to pay, its gonna be one monster check going out the door.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

  15. #15
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,171
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Explain this crap (Redskins)

    Randel El, Lloyd, Carter, AA they still need a better QB !

    Bring it on.......


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •