Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Falcons hold on 21-19 win over *****

Falcons hold on 21-19 win over *****
    NFL.com wire reports

SAN FRANCISCO (Sept. 12, 2004) -- Although the swirling wind was the most impressive force at Candlestick Park, Atlanta's maligned defense made sure coach Jim Mora's homecoming was a hit.

Aaron Beasley returned a goal-line interception 85 yards in the fourth quarter, and Rod Coleman batted down Tim Rattay's pass on a 2-point conversion attempt with 40 seconds left in the Falcons' 21-19 victory over the San Francisco ***** on Sunday.

Warrick Dunn rushed for two touchdowns and Michael Vick was 13-of-22 for 163 yards in an uninspiring debut under Mora, the longtime San Francisco defensive coordinator who took over the Falcons last January.

Though Mora still has plenty of work to do, his defense showed marked improvement from last season's 32nd-ranked squad. And the team he left behind is in even worse shape.

Both teams struggled in the relentless wind, which made long passes risky and caused an afternoon of comically bad kicking. But Atlanta kept San Francisco out of the end zone until the final minutes, then weathered the Niners' comeback.

Rattay left his fourth career start in the second quarter with a shoulder injury, but returned to lead two fourth-quarter touchdown drives. He finished 18-of-31 for 175 yards.

Cedrick Wilson caught Rattay's first scoring pass with 6:14 left. Rattay then hit Eric Johnson with 16-yard TD pass, capping a gritty 62-yard drive. But Coleman, who knocked Rattay out of the game on a second-quarter sack, blocked Rattay's low pass to Brandon Lloyd on the conversion attempt.

Neither team was particularly impressive in its first action of the season. Case in point: San Francisco's Keith Lewis blocked Chris Mohr's punt on Atlanta's first possession, but Kevan Barlow fumbled on the *****' first play.

Alge Crumpler scored the Falcons' first touchdown, catching a short pass and shoving past safety Tony Parrish for a 15-yard score. The Pro Bowl tight end finished the first half with six catches for 82 yards.

Dunn added another score in the second quarter on a 2-yard run, but the Falcons mostly struggled in their first game running the West Coast offense favored by coordinator Greg Knapp, who left the ***** with Mora.

Vick spent much of the day running from All-Pro linebacker Julian Peterson, who forced two fumbles and sacked Vick twice.

San Francisco's fans probably recognized Knapp's offense from last season: short passes, shorter runs and plenty of punts. Unfortunately, ***** coach Dennis Erickson's offense wasn't much better, eliciting boos most of the afternoon.

Ken Dorsey replaced Rattay in the second quarter and guided the ***** to two field goals, cutting Atlanta's lead to 14-6. Jeff Ulbrich intercepted Vick's tipped pass midway through the third quarter to set up the second kick.

After Dorsey hurt his shoulder late in the third period, Rattay returned and drove San Francisco to the Atlanta 3 with 9 minutes left.

But Beasley stepped in front of Curtis Conway in the end zone and rambled all the way back to the San Francisco 15, dodging several tackles along the way. Dunn scored moments later, spinning into the end zone for a 9-yard TD.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Falcons hold on 21-19 win over *****

I wasn't too impressed with the ATL. I think there run D is lowly and the O wasted alot of opportunities. The RAMS should cruise through this game IF they don't turn the ball over.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I wasn't too impressed with the ATL. I think there run D is lowly and the O wasted alot of opportunities. The RAMS should cruise through this game IF they don't turn the ball over.
    When it comes to holding on to the ball, I think our strategy for the Falcons has to be the same as Gene Hackman's strategy in "The Replacements".

"You know this don't look natural, Coach" followed by the line about the elephant - disgusting, but classic.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll be interested to see how the Rams contain Vick and deal with Crumpler. I'm not too worried about our offense, as long as we can finish drives and reduce turnovers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'll be interested to see how the Rams contain Vick and deal with Crumpler. I'm not too worried about our offense, as long as we can finish drives and reduce turnovers.
    Vick has looked real unsteady so far. If he hesitates too much, Little & Fisher will be playing "meet me at the QB" all day long. The Crumpler problem is very intriguing. Our D is not built for offenses whose first option is TE. Fortunately, not many of those teams exist, with the current exception of Atlanta. We could dedicate Arch to Crumpler, but you hate to potentially take him out of run defense by doing so. If the D-line can get enough penetration followed by hands in the passing lanes, the precision routes across the middle should be slowed to the point of ineffectiveness. So once again, we have to have our interior D-line step up. This will be a recurring theme this season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod