TekeRam is offline Registered User

Falcons release seven players, including Crumpler

Falcons release seven players, including Crumpler

By Pat Yasinskas
    ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight end Alge Crumpler, quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.
    The team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.
    "This is a difficult day for the entire organization," Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level and we greatly appreciate their efforts. These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans."
    Crumpler, who just completed his seventh season, all with Atlanta, has 316 career catches for 4,212 yards and 35 touchdowns. He had been with the team since 2001 and was selected to five Pro Bowls.
    Leftwich, formerly a starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was acquired by the Falcons during the season after the Jaguars released him in order to go with David Garrard. He alternated with Joey Harrington as the Falcons' starter last season.

"As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization," said new coach Mike Smith, who was hired last month.From all indications, the shake-up isn't done. Veterans such as Warrick Dunn and Lawyer Milloy could become victims of the cap, though they weren't included in the original round of cuts.
    Dimitroff wants to provide flexibility in the free-agent market, which begins Feb. 29.
    Pat Yasinskas covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Drew is offline Registered User

Re: Falcons release seven players, including Crumpler

Crumpler and Milloy worth a look maybe...

Ramer is offline Registered User

No, we have more needs at other positions.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Would Gandy be worth picking up for OL depth? And what do you think of Leftwich as a back-up to Bulger?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Would Gandy be worth picking up for OL depth? And what do you think of Leftwich as a back-up to Bulger?
    Yes for Gandy (former Rams 1st round pick), and NO for Leftwich.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Yes for Gandy (former Rams 1st round pick), and NO for Leftwich.

WHAT SAY YE?
    What happened to Leftwich? At one point he looked poised to become an elite NFL QB. Then, he seemed to fade from view. I know he hurt his knee, but Girard just out performed him. I can't believe he doesn't still have skills. Don't you think with a new QB coach and Saunders, he couldn't be a good back up?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be suprised if we end up with Crumpler. Not that I want him, but he is a TE which we know Linehan loves, and he is from the Falcons, which gives him ties with Devaney.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I think Crumpler and Gandy are both worth a look. Nothing wrong with a two tight end set and sending Crumpler and McMichael out on pass routes in short yardage situations. Gandy would be nice for o-line depth.
    Just Fix It

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Linehan will surely try to get Crumpler, how many TEs do we have now? 30?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

how old is Gandy ? seems like he has been around for awhile.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    What happened to Leftwich? At one point he looked poised to become an elite NFL QB. Then, he seemed to fade from view. I know he hurt his knee, but Girard just out performed him. I can't believe he doesn't still have skills. Don't you think with a new QB coach and Saunders, he couldn't be a good back up?
    Good questions, Chris: Let me address them as best as I can

1.) Actually I believe that Leftwich has had multiple injuries not only in the NFL, but also in college. Apparently he can't stay healthy in any venue. This has probably eroded what limited athletic skills he may have possessed. Moreover, it is telling to me that a 4-5th rounder like Garard easily beat him out AFTER Lefty got healthy. Then Leftowitz goes to Atlanta and can't even beat out Joey Harrington?? Bwahahahaah!! Anyway the evidence at this point is overwhelming: the guy stinks.

2.) In light of all of the above there is only so much Al Saunders can do with a guy who plays like a cigar store indian statue. I'd rather take a chance on some nondescript guy from a small Ivy League school, like, say, Harvard for instance and give him a chance to succeed in the NFL. Gosh. This all sounds so familiar. Oh well I'm sure its just my imagination.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Good questions, Chris: Let me address them as best as I can

1.) Actually I believe that Leftwich has had multiple injuries not only in the NFL, but also in college. Apparently he can't stay healthy in any venue. This has probably eroded what limited athletic skills he may have possessed. Moreover, it is telling to me that a 4-5th rounder like Garard easily beat him out AFTER Lefty got healthy. Then Leftowitz goes to Atlanta and can't even beat out Joey Harrington?? Bwahahahaah!! Anyway the evidence at this point is overwhelming: the guy stinks.

2.) In light of all of the above there is only so much Al Saunders can do with a guy who plays like a cigar store indian statue. I'd rather take a chance on some nondescript guy from a small Ivy League school, like, say, Harvard for instance and give him a chance to succeed in the NFL. Gosh. This all sounds so familiar. Oh well I'm sure its just my imagination.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Thanks for enlightening me RAMarkable. I do now recall him playing in some all-star game after the end of his collegiate season in the midst of having a leg problem. I just wish we could land a seasoned back-up who could spell Bulger in the event he gets injured again next season.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Rod Coleman is a good player when healthy. He'd be worth at least a look, but defensive tackle isn't really our highest priority at the moment. I would definitely be interested in Crumpler if we hadn't picked up Randy McMichael last year.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

dang thats crazy. 7 players. wow.

but i think we may land a few players from this...