RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Are the fans ruining the NFL?

The behavior of football fans the past few seasons seems to have degraded into the abyss. There have been accounts of players being assaulted by snowballs, cups of beer, even physical altercations. Fans of visiting teams, while prepared for verbal taunts, are risking their safety when walking into the stands at some stadiums.

Then we have the so-called 'smack talking' fans.

Maybe MOM is onto something. She said that the 'everyone's a winner!' mentality is part of the problem. You know the kind - a kid goes into a soccer game (or other competition), doesn't do anything to contribute, and when the game is over, "Everyone Wins!!!" Or 'Johnny', the proverbial kid, gets promoted to the next grade level even though he can't read, can't add 1 + 1, and doesn't try to learn.

This does nothing but teach kids that they can get away with anything, and it's OK. You can't read? Well, we care about your self-esteem, so here's your high school diploma anyway. You kicked the soccer ball into the wrong goal? Oh, well, you're still a winner. You went to schhol, just like you should, so let's give you an award!

Teaching kids about winning AND losing is no longer being done. When you are 6 years old, losing a game can hurt. A good adult role model (parent, teacher, coach, etc.) should be able to feel that hurt with the child, dry the child's tears, explain that losing is OK as long as you tried your hardest, there is no shame in losing to a better opponent, and that the way to win is to practice, learn, and practice more until you are as good as you can be. One other thing we should be teaching our kids: You will never learn everything about anything. When the day comes that you think you know it all, you should retire, for you will never get any better.

We all know that there will always be fair-weather fans and bandwagon fans, just as there are die-hard fans. There are players that exhibit juvenile behavior (insert name of bratty, attention-seeking player here), and players who keep their mouth shut and let their performance speak for itself.

Players and fans need to learn that respect is earned. As long as they act like mentally impaired third grade felons, that is how the rest of the world will view them, and will treat them accordingly. A good example of this occured a couple of weeks ago, at the Saints-Cowboys game. The game was winding down, the Saints were up 42-17, 3:00 left in the fourth quarter, and had just gotten a first down on the Dallas 6 yard line. One play, and they could have scored, making the score 48-17. Instead of adding insult to injury, the Saints showed some class - they took a knee...four times. Dallas got the ball back, and did the same thing. No running up the score, no taunting, no name calling.

After showing a lot of class by their play this season, the Saints did one better - they showed how to be gracious in a victory. They earned respect by that one show of class.

Maybe the rest of the NFL, fans included, should learn the same lesson...humility.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Are the fans ruining the NFL?

some people think that just because they purchase a ticket to an event that said ticket gives them the right to act like idiots and insult whomever they wish.

They don't care if kids or ladies are present either... lack of respect for other's rights as long as their right to denegrate others are allowed.

Rnd

GO RAMS!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

RamsFanSam, you make a great point. I'm not sure I'd narrow the title of this topic to "ruining the NFL", but would say; "it's ruining America".

Nearly every day I see some of what you describe. I personally can relate to your description of youth sports and the attitude that "everybody's a winner", and being rewared for doing and contributing nothing. I got out of coaching for just that reason.

In my youth, for example, when I signed up for Babe Ruth league baseball (13-15 year old), we had try-outs. Those that were good enough were selected to a team. Those that were not, were delegated to a "farm team", where additonal training was provided to improve on their skills, if they wanted to get better. This system worked great, and we all learned the value of effort and reward. Years after we realized the valuable lessons about that process. You work hard, you give it your best efforts and you reap the rewards.
    Then suddenly a group of "different" thinkers decided that it was too harse on little Johnnie if he didn't make a team and had to go to the farm team. We then had rules that every kid HAD to play a certain amount of innings every game, and so on. It was against everything I knew. Kids then realized that they really didn't need to show up for practice and give their best effort, because they were going to play no matter what. "Why try harder when I'm gonna get the same as the kids that busts thier butts?" That became the work ethic for many. The final straw for me was during the All-Stars, which I managed. Our best pitcher was also a prima-donna. He felt he didn't need to practice like the rest of the team because he was so dominate. ...or so he felt. I explained to him that he had to participate just like everyone else, or he wouldn't play. Those rules applied to everyone. He didn't think it should include him because he was the "star pitcher", and we needed him to be successful. Too many people feel that everything is owed to them. Too many people think that respect is a right, whether it's earned or not.

Oh, and you know what I did with the "super star"? I kicked him off the team after he no-showed an important practice for the second time. Years later, after the kid had grown and matured, we talked about it. He regretted his decision and fully understood mine, and said it wasn't until years later that he finally "got it". A sad, but valuable lesson.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Maybe MOM is onto something. She said that the 'everyone's a winner!' mentality is part of the problem. You know the kind - a kid goes into a soccer game (or other competition), doesn't do anything to contribute, and when the game is over, "Everyone Wins!!!" Or 'Johnny', the proverbial kid, gets promoted to the next grade level even though he can't read, can't add 1 + 1, and doesn't try to learn.
    No...MOM is waaaaaay off on this one. All that "everyone is a winner" syndrome has created is a bunch a wussy, pansy-assed, go home crying, and sue you over anything populous.
    The mainstreaming of Hip Hop, Rap, and mosh pit head banger rocker music by MTV, VH-1, etc has indoctrinated our youth into believing all girls are ho's and biatches, breaking the law is to be admired and gives you "street cred", and whenever you feel "dissed" just bust a cap, pull a knife, throw a bottle, or assault whatever or whomever offends you. Cursing is more prevalent in music today than in anytime prior to the 90's. Guys walk around with the butts hanging out, and girls dress like hookers.

Players and fans need to learn that respect is earned. As long as they act like mentally impaired third grade felons, that is how the rest of the world will view them, and will treat them accordingly. A good example of this occurred a couple of weeks ago, at the Saints-Cowboys game. The game was winding down, the Saints were up 42-17, 3:00 left in the fourth quarter, and had just gotten a first down on the Dallas 6 yard line. One play, and they could have scored, making the score 48-17. Instead of adding insult to injury, the Saints showed some class - they took a knee...four times. Dallas got the ball back, and did the same thing. No running up the score, no taunting, no name calling.
    Its not enough to just say respect is earned. A top of the line athlete "earns" respect on the playing field and gets his butt kissed in all other facets of life while growing up and through adulthood. The example you give regarding the Saints and Cowboys isn't a good analogy because its not so much respect that dictates that decision, but caution. Yeah, you think they can score from the six yard line no problem, however didn't we see Bettis cough up the ball down by the goal line in the playoffs and the other team almost scored with it. Additionally, kneeling on the ball in that circumstance protects your players from possible senseless injury. I don't see it as an act of respect.

What has really ruin professional sport is the money. Players were more "real" when they made an upper middle class income. They truly played for the love of the sport. Today, its all about money and celebrity. Is it any wonder the new fans have become as jaded, immature, and thug-like as many of today's athletes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'd cast the net even wider and say that rather than it being a problem in the NFL, sport in general, or the USA in particular, that it's a malaise that effects modern western society.

I'm going back to the UK in a couple of days after an 18 month absence and whilst I'm looking forward to it immensely, the state of the nation is something that never fails to drag me down a tad. The problem as I see it, is contempory youth culture failing to instill a sense of larger responsibility in those who are part of it.

There are things that I regret about my conduct as an adolescent, nothing criminal you understand, some drunkeness, a lot of fighting and treating people with the offhanded cruelty that is almost unique to teenagers, but throughout it all, I'm fairly certain that my family had instilled a sense of responsibility for my actions as well as a sense of being part of something to which I held a greater reponsibility. Be honest with yourself and to everyone you meet, was a core lesson in all of this, as was the recognition that I can only expect my rights to be respected insofar as I repsect the rights of those around me.

I wasn't exemplary in my behaviour but neither was I anti-social. I knew that there was a cost associated with every action. When I screwed up, as I did, I accepted my punishment.

And this is where the difference lies between then and now. Everyone knows of their rights but not their responsibilities. They all think that they are entitled to that which their parents had to work for. Everything is to be given to them and if they don't have it then they are to take it as, when and how they like. There is a culture of expectation of 'gratis' if you like, where nothing has a price.

'Just win baby' except that now it's said with a snarl.

Not for me thanks.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Keep in mind I'm not bragging or patting myself on the back, just trying to paint a picture.

Back in 1974 (Junior Year of High School) I played in a couple of basketball leagues. One in particular ran a draft. I was the 2nd player chosen in the draft. Starting forward. We were nearing the end of the season and battling for 1st place. We played all night games to avoid interferring with school time.
    Well I decide to skip school for my 1st & last time. My parents had no idea. So I arrived at home my regular time just as if I had been at school all day. Went through my usual routine at home then had dinner with the family and headed off to my biggest game of the season, 1st place on the line. Of course realizing by the normalcy of the situation at home that my parents had no idea that I had skipped that day. I arrive at the gym and run through practice prior to the game just like always. Just before the game is to begin the coach announces our starting line-up, just like always.I never had to listen to the starting line-up announcement very closely, I was the only no-brainer for the coach. Well on this evening my name was not part of the starting line-up. So puzzled and upset I went and sat on the bench. After about 10 minutes into the game (we were losing by 10) coach heads towards me ( I'm thinking I'm going in to hopefully bring us back) He says hey were you in school today? I sheepishly say no coach I wasn't. Were you sick or something? No coach. Do your parents know? No coach. Well I hope you enjoy watching the game, NO SCHOOL, NO PLAY!
    We lost a game we should have won and I didn't get to play, it was all my fault.

Lessoned learned. I was raised to respect my elders and always be honest even if it hurts. Well that situation killed me. Instead of hating the coach for the consequences he made me pay, I had gained even more respect for the man.To this day I still carry that lesson around.

THANKS COACH.