AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which Fans Will Be The Most Disappointed In 2007?

If disappointment could be reduced to a mathematical formula, it would be revealed to be a function - not just of poor performance - but of poor performance relative to high expectations.

So, which teams' fans will be the most disappointed in 2007 or, to put it another way, which fans have the highest expectations that will be entirely inconsistent with their teams' results?

5. New England Patriots
    I think the Patriots are going to have a good season, but with everything they have done this offseason (and all the press it has garnered), anything short of the Super Bowl will be a disappointment. Personally, I don't see them getting there. In fact, I would rank them behind Indy, San Diego and, possibly, Baltimore among AFC Contenders.

4. San Francisco Niners
    Another team that was very active in the offseason, raising the hopes of the Bay Area faithful. I do think they will win more games than they did in 2006, but their fans see a playoff team. Not this year.

3. Chicago Bears
    After winning the NFC, the Bears have had to deal with holdouts (Briggs) and lockups (T.Johnson). They are still the favorite in their weak division, but I could see the Lions challenging them. Either way, they won't be back in the show.

2. Seattle Seahawks
    I've been reading some of the threads on the Hawks' boards. Their fans are almost delusional about the team. They seem to have erased 2006 from their memory banks. I see a big tumble in the Hawks' future. The Seattle faithful are not ready.

1. Indianapolis Colts
    Fans are greedy. Once they get one Championship, they want more. The Colts fans are all thinking repeat. Unfortunately, the problems on defense - which were masked, rather than corrected, in the playoffs - still exist. With no major offseason improvement to the defense (and the loss of Cato June), the Colts D will do them in this year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Which Fans Will Be The Most Disappointed In 2007?

Hmm, tough one. If the whiners fans buy the national hype, they will be the most disappointed. They are better than they were, but anything short of a Montana-to-Rice resurrection will fall short of the perch the national media has placed this team.

However, if the Colts fans are anything like the rest of the nation (Rams fans included), anything short of another title run will leave them disappointed.

In the end, I gotta go with the Colts. They've got a tough road to repeatville, so I can see their fans falling the farthest.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

detroit lions fans! Yes they have sucked forever, and there disapointment has tsarted with the renewal of matt millan. everyone was sure he was gone and then they retained him and they were crushed. but everyone here in michigan thinks that they finally have the reciver to complament williams and that duckett will be a 2003 jamal lewis like player. they also tink mcdonald will ressurect there suddenly dead special teams sadly they really think they will come out of the black and blue on top

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    detroit lions fans! Yes they have sucked forever, and there disapointment has tsarted with the renewal of matt millan. everyone was sure he was gone and then they retained him and they were crushed. but everyone here in michigan thinks that they finally have the reciver to complament williams and that duckett will be a 2003 jamal lewis like player. they also tink mcdonald will ressurect there suddenly dead special teams sadly they really think they will come out of the black and blue on top
    Yeah, but the Lions are always bad, so their fans should be used to it by now.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Good list. I might add the Ravens as a possible heartbreaker. Now that they have a legit quarterback, they have to like their chances of making it to the big game, but they're playing in a potentially tough division. The Steelers still have most of the pieces that got them a Superbowl win and the Bengals have a pretty talented offense. This season might not go as smoothly as they'd expect after posting the record they did last season.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I'd have to pick the Seahawks. I troll on their forums sometimes and a good majority of them seriously believe they have a superbowl shot this year. Alexander is older, was hurt last year and even before he was showed major decline. Their receivers have never been great and they traded away their best one this year, they have no true number one receiver to go to and Alexander has never been good receiveing out of the backfeild. Their o-line is getting old and they had even worse injury problems there then we did last year. I see the Seahawks going 7-9 this year.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't think that my choices should be called 'disappointed fans', but rather 'disillusioned fans'.
    Reason being, there are only a few teams out there whose fans should realistically expect a playoff berth for their team. All others are disillusioned.

The most dissillusioned fans out there are whiners and seahwks fans. Schools in San Francisco are already trying to teach whiner fans how to count to six, and hawks fans are already planning post-Superbowl parties.

Sorry, guys, but a fart in a whirlwind has a better chance than either of your teams winning SB XLII.

Seattle fans: I'm sure there's somewhere that sells Hasselbeck-endorsed crying towels. And, after seeing how the majority of SF fans admit they'd cry if they ever won another SB....I assume you have yours ready.

To me, there's two groups of fans who are realistic: Vikes fans and Cards fans. They both KNOW they don't have a prayer....this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My brain tells me to go with the Bears. They have lost some key players from last years team. Also could suffer the losing Superbowl syndrome.

My heart tells me the Patriots. GAWD I hope they fall flat on there faces!!!!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

after we kick there butts in the Super Bowl,it will be the Patriot fans.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think the Raiders could be disappointed. I know they did awful, and realistically it is probably going to take awhile to start having a winning record, but it just seems like everything is going right with them right now and with a new young head coach they could have another Sean Payton (that is what they are hoping for at least; obviously). It seems like they could do real well, and although expectations are still low, people are looking for Russell to be the savior, and honestly...with that team, who the hell knows? I can also bet the Bengals are also going to have a mediocre at best season, for whatever reason I got a feeling they're going to be a disappointment.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Keenum is offline Registered User

Colts. Lost too much on defense.

Milan is offline Registered User

Patriots and *****. Remember last season how everyone was all over the Dolphins?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I can say in this area, it'll be the Faider faithful... They really believe they're going to be a playoff contender. It's as if they all just stepped out of a closet and last year (and the year before) didn't really happen. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces as each game unfolds, and they begin to realize they suck again.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I can say in this area, it'll be the Faider faithful... They really believe they're going to be a playoff contender. It's as if they all just stepped out of a closet and last year (and the year before) didn't really happen.
    Yep, myopia is never far from a Faider fan. They think they're going to be great EVERY year regardless of what the reality is, and every year they are by far the most disappointed fans in the NFL.