Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN.com
    Updated: July 2, 2008, 4:32 PM ET

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him ."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

However, Favre's agent downplayed the likelihood that the quarterback could un-retire or that he was prepared to report to camp July 28.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing . This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80-to-85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."

Re: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

Brett Favre-QB-Packers Jul. 2 - 5:48 pm et

Citing a league source, the Wisconsin State Journal reports that Brett Favre requested his release from the Packers "within the past few weeks."
    Either Favre or his agent, Bus Cook, reportedly contacted the Packers to inform them of his intent to play again. When the Packers said they've moved on, Favre demanded to be released. The Packers said no. GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are currently on vacation and unavailable for comment. The Packers hold all the power here and if they continue to exercise it, the situation could get ugly for everyone. That is, if Favre doesn't change his mind again.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

What a potential mess. IF this story is true, I'm wondering why the Packers would refuse to release him if they've indeed "moved on"? If things don't get resolved, would Favre turn his back on the Pack and any farewell or retirement ceremonies? Could be interesting.

Brett Favre-QB-Packers Jul. 2 - 8:24 pm et

In a text message to the Biloxi Herald, Brett Favre called reports of his potential return in 2008 "all rumor."
    Favre said there is "no reason" for a media firestorm after numerous reports surfaced that he's contemplating a return. Frankly, he's not too believable. Chris Mortensen, teammate Al Harris, the Wisconsin State Journal, Mike McCarthy, and an unnamed team source have all talked about the possibility Wednesday. And Favre's agent is probably leading the way. Until Favre says publicly that he absolutely does not want to play in 2008, speculation about his future will continue.
    Source: Biloxi Sun Herald

Brett Favre-QB-Packers Jul. 2 - 7:16 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter suggest the Jets, Chiefs, and Ravens as possible landing spots if the Packers decide to trade Brett Favre.
    Schefter strongly cautions that he's not reporting or trying to "rumor monger," but these would all be sensible landing spots. The Chiefs once traded for Joe Montana in a somewhat similar scenario. The Jets once thought they would get Favre, but settled for drafting Browning Nagle instead. In the end, however, Schefter says he wouldn't bet on Favre playing football in 2008.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Come To The Rams Favre

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

stay retired and stay out of the news,I for one am tired of hearing about it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe Marcellus Wallace had the definitive statement on old athletes trying to come back....
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-03-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    stay retired and stay out of the news,I for one am tired of hearing about it.
    I agree totally, nobody forced him to retire it was his own decision. If he wanted to play this year he shouldn't have retired in the 1st place, end off..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is stupid. He shouldn't come back. Even if his family wants him to, he's accomplished so much in the NFL, I don't think he needs to come back to be happy. He's left a legacy in the league, and if he comes back or not next year it will stay there.

However, if he comes back, the madden curse will bite him.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

He should be banned from coming back. Im beyond sick and tired of this crap. Stay retired and out of the news!!

Rammed is offline Registered User

Please Favre,

Put some tobacco in your mouth, get on your John Deere 8430 and ride of into the sunset.

Please, please, PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAASEEEE

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Cut the "cheese" Brett! Just say no.

moklerman is offline Registered User

The guy just had the best year of his career and has a real shot at the Super Bowl in 2008 and he should just walk away? I say any guy who's still capable of playing should stick with it. It's a dream and a privilege to play in the NFL. So, Favre jumped the gun a little on his retirement. Big deal. He's not pulling a Barry Sanders. Coming back won't hurt the Packers salary cap, Rodgers isn't costing so much money that he HAS to play now and Favre gives the team the best chance to win.

If one is so sick of hearing about Brett Favre that it's a personal issue, I suggest just watching the games on Sunday. I've found it's a lot more fun than watching the loops of sports "news" that cycle on ESPN, etc.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    IF this story is true, I'm wondering why the Packers would refuse to release him if they've indeed "moved on"? .
    I'm Thinking they don't want to see Brett in another uniform. Heck, I'd feel the same way. Just stay retired Brett.

The Special One is offline Registered User

First of all, no-one ever forced to him to retire - it was purely his decision. If he hadn't retired it wouldn’t have been as if they wouldn't have played him. Green Bay knows what Favre has done for that franchise. But at the end of the day, FAVRE was the one who decided to call it quits, and IMO, when you say you're done, you should never show up again. Don't say you're gone and then play with everyone's minds about if and buts and put Rodgers under pressure. You know, none of this is helping Rodgers. He's trying to get geared up to be the new face of the packers, you think it helps to have Brett on his back and in the media about wanting to come back?

They have a guy in place who can ultimately become a top QB in the league. He has the potential. Sure, he is millions and billions away from Favre right now, no question. But Favre himself didn't become what he is now overnight. No QB did.

If Rodgers never gets the chance, how will anyone know what he could've been capable of? They drafted him, and with Favre out the equation, why shouldn't he get a chance to lead that offense for the next decade? He certainly has the weapons around him.

As far as I can see, this Favre charade is not a help for Rodgers by any stretch of the imagination. I said it before, Brett has made his decision. I don't think he should be the one who gets to decide if he wants to come back; it should be Green Bay. The Packers organization should tell him, you've made your decision Brett, and we're moving on without you. Aaron Rodgers is our future.

Otherwise, what in the world is the point of "retiring"? You might as well "retire" after every season and come back again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast