Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Favre is likely to play in ’05

Favre is likely to play in ’05
    By Pete Dougherty
    PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers are conducting business as if they think Brett Favre will be their quarterback in 2005.

Favre hasn’t told the Packers whether he’s going to retire this offseason, but more signs are pointing to him playing in 2005 barring unforeseen circumstances.

Both coach Mike Sherman and General Manager Ted Thompson have talked several times with Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, in recent weeks, and though neither has spoken directly with Favre since the Packers’ last game, Sherman said assistant coaches Tom Rossley and Darrell Bevell have been in regular contact with him.

Favre’s retirement would trigger extensive changes in the team’s offseason planning and priorities, but all signs from the Packers are business as usual. Though free agency begins in only three weeks, both Sherman and Thompson said they haven’t asked Favre to decide before the free-agency signing period opens March 2 whether he’s going to retire.

“I just said I’d like to know something at some point,” Sherman said. “We never set any specific dates.”

When asked if he had any reason to think Favre won’t return, Thompson said: “I don’t have a specific reason to think he won’t be back. The only thing I know is the same thing he said after the (last) game, when he said he wanted to think about things. I think that was the gist of what he said. But I haven’t talked to Brett. I think he’s going through this time where he needs to think it out, and he’s earned that time.”

Also, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Thursday that Favre has signed a contract to play in the pro-am and celebrity shootout at the U.S. Bank Championship PGA golf tournament in Milwaukee in July, and that Favre’s representatives checked with tournament officials to make sure the dates don’t conflict with the start of Packers training camp.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Re: Favre is likely to play in ’05

He's a little punch drunk....One to many hits from the Snake!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Favre is likely to play in ’05

Happy to hear farve is playing maybe.Toughest QB to ever play,and I love to watch him.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I know many like to consider him washed up and/or not what he used to be but I'll take his 4,000 yards and 30 td's whether he's 28 or 38. If he's putting up the numbers and having a good time, let him play as long as he wants.

viper is offline Registered User

He is one of the greatest competitors the NFL has ever seen. He is still fun to watch. I hope he comes back. Although, he certainly has earned the right to make that decision for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I know many like to consider him washed up and/or not what he used to be but I'll take his 4,000 yards and 30 td's whether he's 28 or 38. If he's putting up the numbers and having a good time, let him play as long as he wants.
    Those numbers are great, but don't mean anything when he gets into the post-season, where over the last couple of years, he's made some pretty big mistakes that have cost his team wins. Four interceptions against Minny last season, he threw that horrible interception - didn't even look like he was trying to complete a pass - against the Eagles to end the game in 2003, pretty bad game against Atlanta in 2002 at Lambeau, and then in 2001, he crumbled against the Rams.

Those numbers are great, but don't mean anything when he gets into the post-season,
    I don't know if I see your point. Are you just commenting in general about regular season stat's vs. post season success or are you suggesting something in regards to Favre in particular?

Think he means that Favre runs out of gas when post season begins! He's taken a lot of hits......Probably more then Aikmen and Warner combined! By seasons end , he's not so clear headed and foggy eyed! :disappoin

viper is offline Registered User

Nick makes a valid point. Can Favre still be effective at this point of his career. Although he's still fun to watch, is he still capable of bringing home a championship. He has made a lot of mental errors at crunch time in the playoffs the last few years. Green Bay still believes he can do it. So do I...he is a special player. One that you can never count out.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I don't know if I see your point. Are you just commenting in general about regular season stat's vs. post season success or are you suggesting something in regards to Favre in particular?
    I'm saying for as good as Favre might be during the regular season, at least in the last few seasons, he seems to come unglued in the post-season. So again, those numbers are great, but when the post-season comes, Favre has shown that he doesn't exactly play up to his regular season success.

It's true that Favre has struggled in the postseason the last few years but you have to put up the numbers to help your team get there. I think most qb's put up subpar numbers in the postseason compared to their regular season numbers.

Even with the recent imbalance (3 out of 5) of bad playoff games to good, Favre's career passer rating is 83.5 in the playoffs compared to 87.3 regular season. Last year he had a good game this year he had a bad game. I think the Packers are very reliant on Favre in the playoffs and that has put him at a disadvantage the last few years. Especially in 1999 when the Packers faced the Rams and were down big early.

Well, I didn't think we were talking about his career, but rather the last couple of seasons, so let's look at those numbers. Favre's regular season passer rating from 2001 to present is 90.5. His post-season passer rating during that span is 62.5. It would seem logical that most QBs see a drop in their rating during the post-season since they're playing better competition, but I doubt most of them see near 30-point drops. If you're correct in that the Packers have been relying heavily on Favre and this is the result, then perhaps it's time to conclude that Favre alone isn't enough to win games in the post-season.

Like I said ,Come regular seasons end, Farve(if u spell it how it is pronounced) is all but done ,Nothing left for the big push!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Favre can play for my team any time. He's a true baller. I was getting sick of hearing about him on the Rams-Packers MNF game earlier this year, but you gotta respect what he's done.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

then perhaps it's time to conclude that Favre alone isn't enough to win games in the post-season.
    Truer words were never spoken. I think Ahman disappearing during the playoffs is more of a hinderance to the Packers post season success than Favre's abilities. I can't argue that Favre has made some bone-headed plays in recent playoff games but I think he's doing it because he feels like he has to carry the team. He still has the arm strength and physical skills to get the job done he just needs to be reigned in a little during the playoffs. Sherman will never do that but that would solve a lot of Favre's mishaps. There's a time to be a gunslinger and a time not to. Favre just needs to take that next step that Elway finally took and rely on his running game and not try to throw the ball through into impossibly tight coverages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast