Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Favre opens up about team's inability to acquire Moss

FRUSTRATED FAVRE
    By AL JONES
    afjones@sunherald.com
    Posted on Sun, May. 13, 2007

TUNICA -- Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre built his NFL reputation around hard work, dedication and being the ultimate teammate.

After 16 years, and within months of a 17th season of pro football, the former Southern Miss standout showed his dedication to the Packers organization recently when he did his best to help land wide receiver Randy Moss from Oakland.

But instead of wearing gold and green next season, Moss will catch passes from Tom Brady in a deal to the New England Patriots that went through during the second day of the NFL Draft.

Speaking at his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, the three-time MVP of the NFL let his frustration be known.

"It is disappointing," Favre said. "It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn't want to restructure his contract were not true.

"He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either."

Favre doesn't want to come across as a bad guy of the group and he remains dedicated to Green Bay. However, he said to get a good player, you must pay a good player.

And good players win football games.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," he said. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.

"This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now."

Favre, the lone player still on the roster from the 1996 Super Bowl team, began lobbying back in February when it looked like Moss would leave the Oakland Raiders. That would have given the Packers a three-man wideout rotation of Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and Moss.

Considering the Packers lost running back Ahman Green to Houston, Favre knew help was needed on the offensive side of the ball.

"I told Donald to imagine a one-back set with a three-man rotation," Favre said. "Who would they (opposing defenses) cover? If they double Randy, Donald would be in single coverage. Last year, he caught 92 balls in double and triple coverage and made the Pro Bowl.

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?'

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

The Shredder Guest

Re: Favre opens up about team's inability to acquire Moss

He's reportedly being asked to get traded.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Shredder is right, here is a link to that story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6...PHCP&GT1=10035

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

opps didn't see this when I posted mine, sorry guys

The Shredder Guest

I dont blame Favre for being pissed. Packers havent don't anything this offseason.

thoey is offline Registered User

Me neither Shredder. I was listening to Dan Patrick earlier and yelling at that dolt cause he doesn't get it. The Pack let go their starting RB, a TE, etc, this season, and started a new OL last year cause they didn't want to pay for quality players. It is time for that FO to crap or get off the pot. It is either Brett's team and he will need some help, or it is the rookies team and he will need some help.
    This space for rent...

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Dan Patrick often "doesn't get it" but I find his show pretty amusing. Olberman and he do pretty well as a pair until Keith starts on his political rants which have no place on that show just as they have no place here.

If all Favre wants to do is win, he may be with the wrong team as, outside of winning being a 9-7 season, the Pack hasn't much of a chance at that unless some of their players step up and play over their heads consistently.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Dear Mr. Favre,

Just go away.

Sincerely,

Football fans everywhere.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Say good night Dick.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User