Keenum is offline Registered User

Favre to sign with Vikings - Pending Physical

Well if you've turned on ESPN today you've already seen it 50 times, but here it is. From ESPN.com:

A source close to Brett Favre said the quarterback, pending a physical, will sign a contract with the Minnesota Vikings for between $10 million to $12 million, according to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press Tuesday morning that Favre was traveling from Mississippi to meet with the team.

Asked if the plan was to sign Favre on Tuesday, Childress replied: "In a perfect world."
    Favre, a longtime star in Green Bay, came out of retirement last season to play for the Jets. He retired again, only to then entertain the idea of joining the Vikings. Last month, Childress said the quarterback would stay retired.
    The pronouncement now appears to be premature.
    According to Mortensen, the Vikings had sent their private plane to Hattiesburg, Miss., and left with Favre on it at 10 a.m. ET. The plane is expected to land in Minneapolis at about noon ET; Favre is expected to take a physical later Tuesday.
    Two television stations reported that Favre was seen boarding a plane Tuesday morning that was headed to Minneapolis.
    Sources told WDAM in Hattiesburg that Favre had said: "We may know something by dinner."
    According to Minneapolis television station WCCO, a high-level source also said that Favre is expected to sign a deal with the Vikings on Tuesday.
    On Monday, Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, responding to the day's scuttlebutt that Favre was predicted to play in Minnesota this season, said he was not paying attention to any of the talk.

"I pretty much have said [Favre] probably will follow me even when I retire. I'll probably have to hear about it. I'm just trying to take care of my business, and I can't worry about that stuff," Jackson said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "If I let that stuff get to me, ain't no telling where I'd be right now. I just let it roll off my shoulder and just keep going. Just keep trying to get better."
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

We shall now all be blessed to watch the Great One play one more year. I hear he's trying to play at least one year for every NFL franchise, and the Rams are scheduled to get him in 2015.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Re: Favre to sign with Vikings - Pending Physical

I dont care what anyone thinks. I am happy to see him play, baring injury.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    I dont care what anyone thinks. I am happy to see him play, baring injury.
    There is no doubt he adds some excitement to the game, but he's turned into a complete drama queen who couldn't make a decisive decision to save his life. Again, he's still entertaining to watch.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'm definitely going to be watching some Vikings games this season. AP is exciting enough to watch on his own - now with Favre too the Vikings look very strong. They need to use Favre in a little bit more of a game-manager role than he has played previously I think, it's too risky having him running around throwing 22 interceptions a year. If he can play a little bit safer they could really go places this year. Still he's a tremendous upgrade over what they had at QB - I have zero confidence in Tavaris Jackson to ever turn into a good QB, same for the other guys they have.

As a footnote, I have no respect for the way he signed. He was given a deadline to either sign or not, that was around a month or so ago, he said clearly "I'm retired and I'm not signing" and the Vikings moved on with the other QB's on their roster. Signing now is too late IMO, and I wouldn't have blamed the Vikings for turning him down. He was way too selfish signing this late instead of letting the team know in time. Don't be a drama queen like that.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

he has already said he was not sure about his arm and thats why the delay.
    regardless, have we not learned over time that what the media says or is told and than bends or bites on false stories is to taken with a grain of salt.
    if favre were leading people on ,they wouldnt be sending planes to get his butt over ASAP.
    He may have his faults but Favre has proven to be a man of character over time. And is, quite frankly, the poster boy for the NFL in much the way Jerry West is for the NBA. Favre is the NFL. Even if he had a bad year, that would not be tarnished.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Some people who hate him may think of his career as "tarnished," but as said, it won't be; no matter what happens. Think of Joe Namath. Most don't think of his last year with the Rams where he didn't do much of anything.
    Dan Marino. Most don't think of that embarrassing playoff loss.
    So in 10 years when people think of Favre, I'm sure they'll remember that he could never decide to retire, but the first thing that will probably pop in my mind is his huge numbers, consecutive starts streak, and cannon arm.