chipperjones is offline Registered User

Fitzgerald to Philly?

"You hear things working the phones. And here's just about the wildest rumor I've heard ...

Lito Sheppard to the Cardinals. And ... wait for it ... Larry Fitzgerald to Philly.

That's all conditional on the Eagles signing Patriots free agent Asante Samuel, something that several reports, including this one, have as a done deal.

The idea makes sense of several fronts. First, Arizona is planning to move former first-round pick Antrell Rolle inside to safety, where he'd be paired with Adrian Wilson, and the Cardinals have been quiet on free-agent corners despite a looming need. Second, the Eagles have a considerable amount of cap room -- they would even after signing Samuel -- and the Cardinals would create space to extend Sheppard by dealing Fitz. Third, the Eagles' offense has been in perpetual need of a big-time wideout, save for the one great season they got out of T.O.

If all this happens (UPDATE: Yes, I do know it would all be contingent on a Fitzgerald renegotiation), the NFC East would get even more interesting than it already was, with the one team that didn't make the playoffs getting a little bit better at one important position and a lot better at another one. Do I expect this to happen? Not at this point. But it sure is interesting to hear."

Dallas Morning News

That sure would take a load of our back

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Fitzgerald to Philly?

It's going to be hard for Fitz to get signed anywhere. He's asking big bucks (like Faneca) and might be the most payed receiver in the NFL.

Good luck to whoever signs him.

viper is offline Registered User

I know we couldn't afford him, but could you imagine if we somehow were able to get him. Man oh man that would be sweet.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

:lWhile adding Fitzgerald to any team would be a plus. I feel our team needs a couple burners to stretch the field. With Holt drawing double coverage most of the time and maybe a step slower and Bennett more of a slot guy(?), teams had their safeties playing up all the time last year. This didn't help our ground game any either.

moklerman is offline Registered User

This deep threat argument just won't hold water until the Rams can pass block better. It doesn't matter how fast a WR is if the blocking doesn't hold up. That's a big part of why Holt's and Bruce's numbers were down in '07. Instead of being able to run the patented dig route, they had to shorten everything up.

Ramer is offline Registered User

moklerman, I agree with you 100%.