laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Flacco vs Bulger

As we all know the Ravens have signed Marc Bulger to a 1 year contract. The Ravens needed to improve the back-up QB position. The seed has also been planted that the Ravens wanted a veteran presence pushing Flacco. Something they haven't had during Flaccos tenure.

I doubt very much that this would happen but what are the odds that Bulger beats out Flacco for the starting QB position?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Flacco vs Bulger

Slim and none. Flacco has proven he can move the ball with this team and I think Bulger needs to just sit back for awhile and not get hit.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Doubt Bulger can beat out Flacco in the starting QB position (unless of course he's injured), Flacco's in his prime years while Bulger's past his but can give out some good veteran presence for the 3rd year QB. I can only hope Baltimore is a foster home for Bulger while he can revive his career elsewhere (outside of the NFC West please)

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Slim and none. Flacco has proven he can move the ball with this team and I think Bulger needs to just sit back for awhile and not get hit.
    Couldn't agree more .. Wasn't that how Kurt Warner was able to resurrect his career?

melwheezy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    As we all know the Ravens have signed Marc Bulger to a 1 year contract. The Ravens needed to improve the back-up QB position. The seed has also been planted that the Ravens wanted a veteran presence pushing Flacco. Something they haven't had during Flaccos tenure.

I doubt very much that this would happen but what are the odds that Bulger beats out Flacco for the starting QB position?
    That aint gonna happen! Maybe Bulger sans 2003 would have!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Let me play the devils' advocate here for a second.

How's the Ravens O-line?
    How's the Ravens running game?
    Receivers? Just added Boldin, No?

You don't think Bulger would play better with that surrounding cast than he did for us the last few seasons? Maybe Flacco is overrated because of the same?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think Flacco is in any danger. I believe some were saying the same thing when Trent Green came to the Rams, but Bulger's job wasn't really threatened at all (until Linehan mysteriously benched him for a game). Something would have to go terribly wrong for Baltimore for them to bench a healthy Flacco for Bulger, and I say that as a big Bulger fan.

You don't think Bulger would play better with that surrounding cast than he did for us the last few seasons? Maybe Flacco is overrated because of the same?
    I think Bulger would absolutely play better with the surrounding cast he has in Baltimore versus the cast he had here. Whether or not that's caused Flacco to be overrated, I'm not sure. Previously, his group of receivers hasn't been that great. But it certainly helps having a top running game and defense, something Bulger has never had.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Barring a Flacco injury, Flacco will start for the Ravens. He is a first round pick that has not shown that he is a bad qb and is clearly their future at the position, not Marc Bulger.

I do believe however, that if Bulger had to step into their offense, you would see a different game, but the drop off would be minimal provided his protection stays top notch. I believe Bulger is in his comfort zone with a good offensive scheme that takes pressure off of him. If he wasn't payed so much I'd praise his signing by the Ravens.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You can't beat a guy you're not matched up against. I don't think Bulger gets the chance to "beat out" Flacco. I think he was signed as an insurance policy, and you don't use insurance unless you need it.

My guess is that Flacco is the starter on opening day even if he completes only 25% of his passes and throws an interception in every preseason game. Now if the Ravens get off to a very poor start, it's possible that he could be benched and Bulger would come in--but that's how I'd read it: that Flacco had been benched, not that the coach had chosen Bulger over him. Sure, Bulger could have a resurgence like Warner did in Arizona or Collins did in Tennessee, but teams would always rather see their young guy rise to the occasion than get the last gasp of glory from an aged veteran.