AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Following the draft, Arizona has my attention

I have said more than once here that the Cardinals really didn't concern me based upon what they did in free agency. While they had some real areas of strength (WR, DL), they also had some glaring weaknesses (RB, OL, LB, CB).

Although the draft did not solve all these problems, I think they made some real strides.

At CB, they now have Antrel Rolle, who I thought was the best player in the draft, and Eric Green. Rolle will immediately improve their secondary, and Green provides good depth.

At RB, they made a big splash by drafting J.J. Arrington. If he can withstand an NFL pounding, he'll be a very productive and dangerous back.

Their O line is still going to need work, but drafting Elton Brown will help. He could be one of this draft's steals.

At LB, another player who dropped below his projection is Darryl Blackstock. He could be a starter as a rookie.

Ultimately, with so many young players, the Cards probably won't be a true contender until 2006. But they are heading in the right direction, and can no longer be overlooked.

Even by me.

ram3057 is online now Registered User

Detroit & St. Louis have my attention!!

Those are some well made points. Arizona may be a presence in our division - sooner than later.

We only play Detroit in the pre-season this year, but I have a feeling that with the receivers they now possess, they could be making some noise as well.

Living in So Cal, Williams was dominant for USC. We got to see him play a lot. I thought that he was probably one of the best prospects out there.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

I don't know about the rest of you - but - are you ready for some football???

I want to see that giant RT Barron at work.
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Following the draft, Arizona has my attention

Arizona's been playing tough at home for quite some time. There was no question they would pick up a good RB early in the draft. Anything else they got just adds to their potential. Those receivers are huge, and Warner will get them the ball.

They will definitely be a handful.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I was thinking they'd be tougher than Seattle this season, but after looking over their roster, I'm not so sure. Their D is very soggy up the middle. Dockett is ok at DT, but other than that, they've got nothing in the middle. Their linebackers are poor. Orlando Huff is the starter at MLB...other than that I can't name them outside of rookies. Their secondary isn't extremely scary either. Adrian Wilson is good, and Rolle will be good soon, although to expect any rookie to be a big difference maker from day 1 is crazy. Then you've got the aging Robert Griffith at safety and...I think Renaldo Hill at CB.

They're offense could be pretty good but I certainly don't expect them to be in the top 10. And their defense leaves much to be desired.

viper is offline Registered User

You cannot overlook what Warner will bring to their offense. Discount him all you want, Warner is a force to be reckonned with. With the offensive firepower that they will have, that is what we need to be most concerned with. They have great receivers and Warner will get them the ball.

Their defence has been formidable in the past and should be more so this year. Watch out for the Cards this year. They will be tough.

Fortunately, we should have more firepower than they can withstand. It will not be a repeat of last year. We will own the Cardinals this year, just as we did the Seahawks last year!

I expect great things from our team this year....hooo...ahhh!!!

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

We've all seen what Warner does with a crappy O-Line in front of him. Think we can look forward to 6 fumbles? Because that's what he's looking at with that O-Line in Arizona.

...and I'd like to see your support that the defense will be more formidable than last seasons. I ask you to look at the LB's. Karlos Dansby, Orlando Huff, and James Darling don't exactly strike fear in the hearts of people who actually know who they are.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

This is an improved team. They're not going to make a 9-game swing like we did in '99, but they will be better. Both lines have upgraded, the QB has upgraded, the RB has upgraded. The LB's and DB's may be upgraded depending on how fast the rookies come along. I think they're an 8-8 team right now. Defensively, they were improved last year. The Cards (w/o Marmie) pulled from dead last in scoring D to 12th. Now if their O can climb the ladder as quickly, they may be on their way to serious consideration.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I'd say that they will be every bit as good as Seattle this year! I never was a Denny Green fan in the past .I never thought that he had it in him to win but, aftyer this years draft and free agaent signings i have no doubt that i might have been wrong about this man!........Not saying that i now am a DG fan!...........Lets hope that we will win the battles when we face them!

I think we need to keep in mind our glass house before we throw stones.

The Rams D is nothing to brag about, and I'm sure the Cardinals rank significantly higher on special teams than our Rams, who were dead last.

The Rams were 8-8, and the Seahawks were 9-7 and won the divison. Not sure how anyone can discount them on that alone, not to mention the offseason acquisitions they have pulled off.

I'm confident our Rams have filled most of the holes, but IMHO, these 2 teams are every bit as good as the Rams, until the Rams prove they have fixed their problems.

As I've said before, the only edge I give to the Rams is experience at running their own offense. And on that note, Seattle is starting to get pretty comfortable with what they do. It's easy to say "too bad they can't catch", but my guess is that they aren't going to drop as many balls this year, and that alone would make them significanlty better.

AZ has only 1 direction to go, and that's up.

Should be an exciting season!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Like I said before: the cards are going to be scary.They had me a little worried after game 2 last year.Now with their new offensive scheme like ours and Warner running it anything can happen,but I'm also getting high on our draft and free agency.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

I guess it comes down to the fact that everybody has "reloaded" this offseason, so we'll have to see who gets the most bang for their buck...

Just knowing that Steven Jackson is going to be pounding the rock this season makes me like our chances.

That said, if we've improved as well as the Seahawks and Cardinals, how long will we be considered the weakest division in the league.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    That said, if we've improved as well as the Seahawks and Cardinals, how long will we be considered the weakest division in the league.
    ...as long as the niners are still around.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I've been saying watch out for these guys for a while now. The O-line in arizona is 9 steps above N.Y. maybe more, which could put them in the middle of the road. N.Y. was about dead last! this team has spoiled a few playoff hopes and with the additions they have gotten, I feel they are on the move. And last year I didn't see much leadership on our side of the ball. And if the Rams come out flat this year( which they shouldn't) it's gonna be a long year. I would say the NFC west is moving up on the board...... let's see who gets crushed in training camp! That changes a season drastically. :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    The O-line in arizona is 9 steps above N.Y. maybe more, which could put them in the middle of the road. N.Y. was about dead last!
    Gotta disagree with you there. The Cards O line is the main reason I don't see them as a playoff team, despite their significant improvements. The Giants O line had its problems in pass protection, no doubt, but they also opened holes for one of the leading rushers in the NFC.