Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Football 101

FTG Guest

Re: Football 101

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Interesting FTG. Your notes are from an offensive perspective regarding blocking of linebackers by perhaps a TE or RB. They seem to about protecting the QB during a blitz.

It does seem that the defense is set before the play to determine if they are dropping into coverage or rushing.

Have you ever played defense FTG?

Thanks for posting this. I have only played a little flag football and I think the only decisions we made on defense was who was going in for a blitz and the rest of us were just playing man on man. There are so many things about football that I don't understand and I probably sound like an idiot half the time and I don't even know it.

Hopefully our expert is still around and he can give us some explanations from the defensive perspective regarding pass rushing.
    I played a linebacker in Middle School. High school I played Quarterback.

-FTG

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I'm not sure if anyones asked this before.. but can someone tell me what the difference between a "small-market team" and a "big-market team" is? And which one is St. Louis??

Thanks in advance.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    I'm not sure if anyones asked this before.. but can someone tell me what the difference between a "small-market team" and a "big-market team" is? And which one is St. Louis??

Thanks in advance.
    In traditional terms, it would be based off the metropolitan size of a team's fanbase. That is to say, large market teams would be the Giants, Jets, Bears, Cowboys, Redskins, Whiners/Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Pats, etc.... While the small market teams would be the Bengals, Packers, Rams, Chiefs, Jags, Bills, Titans, Saints, Panthers, Colts, etc.

The irony of the past 13 years is that the nation's 2nd largest market (LA) does not have an NFL team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

big_country78 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    In traditional terms, it would be based off the metropolitan size of a team's fanbase. That is to say, large market teams would be the Giants, Jets, Bears, Cowboys, Redskins, Whiners/Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Pats, etc.... While the small market teams would be the Bengals, Packers, Rams, Chiefs, Jags, Bills, Titans, Saints, Panthers, Colts, etc.

The irony of the past 13 years is that the nation's 2nd largest market (LA) does not have an NFL team.
    You also have to take into account TV markets. how much coverage does a team get, how many people are watching on TV. it is really important in determining who gets a team and where the team is. it is directly related to the population of the metropolitan area, but it doesn't always work. for instance, San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the USA, they have been trying to get a francise for many years, but they have a relatively small TV market compared to thier size as a metropolitan area. they tried to get the Vikings and the Saints but have been unsucessful as of yet.

the beauty of the NFL is how they handle thier business and thier profit sharing technices to keep a balance in the league and maintain competitiveness between large and small market teams. take MLB for example where large market team with very wealthy owners who can go over the cap and pay the penalties, can always have good teams and pay for the best player (yankees, redsox, etc.), while small market teams have to struggle and have a good season here and there (royals, brewers, etc.). while there are repeat team in the NFL that are good for many years, it is more a result of the coaches, and schemes. take the Patriots for example, i wouldn't consider many of thier players to be a whole lot better than players on other teams, and they operate on the same budget as other teams, yet they have great coaching, and make use of their resources a well as they can. man the NFL is awesome!

NotVeryOriginal is offline Registered User

And that 2nd largest market had trouble selling out stadiumswhilst the smallest market (Packers) have a 35 year waiting list for season tickets and havent had an empty seat for 40 years.

Q) Where'd the tuck rule come from. Is there a precedent for them introducing it, like they introduce the horse collar this year because TO broke his ankle?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NotVeryOriginal View Post
    And that 2nd largest market had trouble selling out stadiumswhilst the smallest market (Packers) have a 35 year waiting list for season tickets and havent had an empty seat for 40 years.

Q) Where'd the tuck rule come from. Is there a precedent for them introducing it, like they introduce the horse collar this year because TO broke his ankle?
    Here's the tuck rule...
    NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: "When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble."
    The rule was actually codified in 1999, but it was the 2002 playoff game between the Pats and Raiders that everyone remembers. Brady appeared to fumble the ball when hit by Woodson. The "fumble" was recovered by Greg Biekert, which would have sealed the deal for the Raiders and sent them to the AFC championship vs. the Steelers. However, applying the "tuck rule", the call was reversed. The Pats kicked a FG, and beat the Raiders in overtime.

Controversial to say the least.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The rule was actually codified in 1999, but it was the 2002 playoff game between the Pats and Raiders that everyone remembers. Brady appeared to fumble the ball when hit by Woodson. The "fumble" was recovered by Greg Biekert, which would have sealed the deal for the Raiders and sent them to the AFC championship vs. the Steelers. However, applying the "tuck rule", the call was reversed. The Pats kicked a FG, and beat the Raiders in overtime.

Controversial to say the least.
    Interesting to note that the Rams benefited from that rule earlier in the same season. A fumble by Kurt Warner was reversed due to the tuck rule. I can't remember what game it was, but just so everyone knows, this rule was in fact in existence before the Raiders-Pats game.

:l

-jake-

cla-sky is offline Registered User

Great idea ! Go ahead

Amy123 is offline Registered User

www.world-jerseys.com

mod note: spam
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-24-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thought I'd revive this thread by linking to a pretty detailed Pro Football Focus article that explains many of the defensive line techniques you'll see on Sundays in the NFL. Rather informative!

Defensive Line Techniques - The Prototypes | ProFootballFocus.com

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

OK CIAFT! I've got for you.

We all hear several NFL terminologies...Cover 2, 46 defense, west coast offense, run and shoot, oc, dc, gaps etc etc etc......

What's this "scheme" we hear and read about? What exactly is SCHEME?

Thanks!
    Last edited by laram0; -10-13-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345