Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Former Rams safety O.J. Atogwe signs five-year deal with Redskins

He's replacable in my opinion, with only a small drop off in talent. What will be missed his is character and leadership skills. The Rams need more help in other positions, that should be a lot more beneficial to team success in my opinion. Identfying and getting the right players is the key from here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay, but if the money that would have gone to Atogwe instead goes to sign a starting WR, OG or OLB, I'll be okay with that trade-off.

Its apparently 5 years, $26M. Not exactly a "King's ransom" (maybe a Duke's?) but, again, if the Rams are going to put the money that O.J. was seeking to good use at a more key position, I'm not going to argue with their logic.
    The specifics and guaranteed money will be key, but at a glance, $26 million over five years isn't bad at all. To compare, Ed Reed's 2006 contract averaged over $7 million per year.

I see your point about using Atogwe's money on an upgrade elsewhere, but I think the question then becomes, could they have done both? We'll probably never know, but considering Ron Bartell's $25 million deal in 2009 didn't prevent the Rams from dropping a lot of money on free agent Jason Brown, I don't think it would have proven impossible.

Ultimately, we'll have to wait and see what the Rams have up their sleeves before we can make any real judgments. Perhaps in a couple of seasons, we'll completely forget about losing Atogwe because the Rams will have found an outstanding replacement.

But when fans casually say that he can be replaced, I think they're forgetting the troublesome pre-Atogwe years when the Rams kind of struggled to find an answer at the position. While I understand not wanting to shell out big-time bucks for a good but not elite 30-year-old player, I'm also not a big fan of creating another hole when there are already a number that need filled.

That's life in the NFL, I suppose.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Atogwe signed by Skins...

By Gary Fitzgerald

The Redskins have signed free agent safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, the team announced on Thursday.

The signing comes hours before the end of the league year -- on March 4 -- and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with players. Atogwe was free to sign with the Redskins because he was released by the St. Louis Rams on Feb. 18.

Atogwe, 5-11 and 205 pounds, is a 6-year veteran who has spent his entire career with the Rams. He has played primarily free safety.

He would join with strong safety LaRon Landry in a formidable defensive backfield. Landry was a Pro Bowl alternate last year.

A starter in the Rams secondary since 2006, Atogwe has compiled 390 tackles, five sacks, 22 interceptions and 16 forced fumbles in his career.

Last year, he logged 73 tackles, two sacks, three interceptions and two forced fumbles for the Rams.

From 2006-08, Atogwe played for defensive coordinator Jim Haslett in St. Louis. (Haslett was named interim head coach of the Rams midseason in 2008.) Haslett is now the Redskins’ defensive coordinator.

Atogwe had his best statistical season in 2007 when he logged 75 tackles and a career-high eight interceptions, one of which he returned 52 yards for a touchdown.

Redskins fans may remember Atogwe from a 2008 contest at FedExField in which he recovered a fumble and raced 75 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown. The Rams would go on to win that game 19-17.

Atogwe, who is of Nigerian descent, entered the NFL as a third-round draft pick by the Rams. He played college football at Stanford.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Slug is offline Registered User

Re: Atogwe signed by Skins...

I like the signing for us. He's a solid, quality player in my opinion and it doesn't seem like we overpaid as we historically tend to do. I'm happy.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I hope whatever solution to replace Atogwe pans out because he was a solid performer and an anchor at FS. Like others, I'm concerned about another hole to fill on defense. I look forward to hearing what Spags has to say.

Hey clan! Missed this thread so I'll just copy what I posted in the other one: I like the signing for us. He's a solid, quality player in my opinion and it doesn't seem like we overpaid (reported 5 yr, $26M) as we historically tend to do. I'm happy.

viper is offline Registered User

Atogwe was a good player for the Rams. Not great, but good. He definitely was a fan favorite and for the most part held his own, with a few exceptions. The forced fumbles were a great treat for us as fans. I wish him well.

But, I have faith in DeSpags. They have a plan and they have a pretty good track record so far. Just imagine how it will feel to have one of Spags guys in that free safety position. A player that is fundamentally sound in, tackling, pass defense and bringing the wood. If they come up with a player like that, I think we're all going to be pretty happy. Hopefully, they can find that guy. They may already know who they want. It may just be what the doctor ordered. I'm fine with it.
    Last edited by viper; -03-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

dissapointing to hear as a Rams fan, but OJ was a class act and he deserved to get his money. His departure creates a hole on our D, there's no way around it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I have to say 5 years, $26 million is pretty reasonable at face value. The devil is always in the details, but for that, I'd have preferred to keep him. Before, safety was one of those positions we might want to upgrade. Now, it's a need.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not really mad. This guy and the Rams just could never set on a deal. He really doesn't fit into what our defense was doing. Think about it. Last year we seen him blitz tons, minimizing his worth. Especially because he was a bad tackler and takes bad angles. I feel we will get a good guy stepping in-in Darian Stewart. I do hope we pursue someone through the draft or maybe free agency when it comes around. We can use a upgrade at both Safety positions. I am excited about what Stewart brings though.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

5 years for a 30 year old is bit excesive IMO. However a little over 5mil a year for OJ isn't that bad

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Bob Sanders just signed a 1 yr deal w the Chargers.

There goes that idea.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    5 years for a 30 year old is bit excesive IMO. However a little over 5mil a year for OJ isn't that bad
    Not really, at least for a free safety. Darren Sharper was a first-team All Pro free safety in 2009 at the age of 34, and I'm sure one of the reasons Denver signed 32-year-old Champ Bailey to a four-year deal is because of his willingness to move to the FS position.

Does he often refer to himself in the plural third person? I'm noticing in his post-announcement tweets (getting play because he's saying that he won't wear #21 in D.C. out of respect for ST) that he keeps say "we". "Washington here we come", "What number should we wear" etc. Is this just something he does that I should get used to?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

O J was a solid performer for us. Sorry to see him go. However Despags has done a very nice job of filling holes and my trust is with them on this one too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast