Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

G-men Want Manning To Start--Warner to Dallas?

Now this is coming from PFT but I thought I would post it anyway.

============

Word out of New York is that veteran members of the Giants prefer Eli Manning over Kurt Warner as the starting quarterback on opening day.

The thinking, we're told, is that the players believe Manning can get the job done as a rookie -- and that they don't believe Warner is all that good.

Still, Warner gets the start in the third preseason game against the Jets on Friday night. Coach Tom Coughlin has said that Warner and Manning will split the reps with the first team offense.

Coughlin, in our view, is keeping his cards close to the vest in part to see how his two quarterbacks handle the uncertainty. And based on the public comments both players have made, Eli is the one who's acting like the cagey veteran, shrugging his shoulders and not worrying about the decision.

Then again, Manning knows he'll still be getting paid even if he's on the bench come September 12. Warner, a vested veteran whose $2.5 million salary becomes guaranteed on opening day, might be concerned that he won't be on the payroll if he's not on the field.

----------
    TUNA LOOKING FOR ANOTHER QB

We're told that Cowboys coach Bill Parcells will be watching the waiver wire very closely in the hopes of picking up another quarterback prior to the start of the season.

And we won't be surprised to see a big name or two on the open market. Kurt Warner is a possibility if he's not the New York starter. Rich Gannon could walk the plank in Oakland if (as we've been predicting) the team asks him within the next two weeks to take a deep reduction in his $7 million salary. Even Brad Johnson isn't safe in Tampa, given Chris Simms' development.

Regardless of who it is, there always is at least one surprise or two when the final cuts come down. If one of those guys is a veteran quarterback, the first call they likely will receive will be from Big D

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Re: G-men Want Manning To Start--Warner to Dallas?

After Warner and Manning's performances last night you might want to edit your post

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Neither QB is going to be any good behind that line or in that offense. Their running game doesn't scare anyone and their line is horrible. They would have been better off going with Warner for experience and to put him on the turf rather than the prize boy.

I've said all along that Manning was their boy and Warner is just getting used. It's unfortunate, though.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Well he has enough money so he won't have to bag groceries anymore,but he could be back to that status................... The stars fall hard in NYC . If that is evan true. I think Warner has the edge! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't see how the Giants could throw Manning to the dogs, he would get eaten alive. Warner will start, and probably be the sacrificial lamb. If the Giants beat Philly behind Warner in game one, the team and the fans will rally around him, no doubt. Probably a big if, but Warner has always had a big heart. That game will be a defining moment in Warner's career path IMO.

I thought winning the Superbowl in 1999 was the defining moment in Warner's career path...

"Usually, exhibition games feature vanilla defenses. But the Jets threw all kinds of defensive looks at the Giants, from both 4-3 and 3-4 alignments, with frequent safety blitzes and a nice mix of coverages. While Giants starting quarterback Kurt Warner handled them decently and led his team to a first-quarter touchdown on Ron Dayne's 9-yard run, Manning seemed befuddled."

9 for 11 is only decent??? What qualifies as good??? 12 for 11 :confused:

I thought winning the Superbowl in 1999 was the defining moment in Warner's career path...
    Your absolutely correct Shades, but I also think a Warner led victory against Philly would be "a" defining moment in his future career path. A lot rides on that game for him IMO.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    9 for 11 is only decent??? What qualifies as good??? 12 for 11 :confused:
    He fumbled twice (one didn't count b/c of defensive penalty, I'm told) and had only one pass that was significantly down the field. The rest were ala 2003 Rams preseason -- dinks and dunks. I wouldn't exactly say that's spectacular.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

So, compared to the Golden Boys 4 for 12...2 int performance...I'd have to rate it better than decent..How about good...Why can't you guys cut Warner any slack...I really don't get it..It really seems like you're hopeing he fails ???????????????

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The truth is, some of us have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, we like Warner and appreciate what he did for the team. For those reasons, we wish him well.

On the other hand, we are sick of the Uber-Warnerites who are just itching for Warner to have a good game for the Giants so they can say "See! The Rams made a mistake by letting him go!"

At the end of the day, it won't matter, as Warner will not be the starter for very long. At some point this season, the Giants are going to decide that its time to get Manning some playing time in the regular season, and that will be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    So, compared to the Golden Boys 4 for 12...2 int performance...I'd have to rate it better than decent..How about good...Why can't you guys cut Warner any slack...I really don't get it..It really seems like you're hopeing he fails ???????????????
    Why can't you see this wasn't exactly a great performance? It's like the 2003 preseason with the Rams. Warner, for the most part, threw short passes to get into rhythm. That's about it. And he fumbled twice, one that he was lucky enough to have called back because of a defensive penalty. It was a decent performance, and requires no comparison to Manning. Warner should be judged on his own merits, and his own merits in this game were decent.

This isn't about wanting him to fail. This is about not exaggerating his performance when it consisted mostly of low risk passes and two fumbles. If Warner would have went 9/11 while taking shots downfield and stretching the defense, then I'd be a bit more impressed. But based on what I've read about the game, that's not what occurred.

Wow, Uber-Warnerites?? I had to look that one up. Shouldn't it have been Uber Alles-Warnerites though??

Any excuse to use "uber" is fine in my book.

PTHOR is offline Registered User

Warner was beutiful as usual ! God-like to say the least......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast