Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

The Giants on Kurt Warner

The Giants are suddenly 2-1, and while that isn't a total surprise considering that their victories came against the Redskins and, most recently, a severely decimated band of Browns, it is how they are doing it rather than to whom that has been impressive.

The Giants are suddenly 2-1, and while that isn't a total surprise considering that their victories came against the Redskins and, most recently, a severely decimated band of Browns, it is how they are doing it rather than to whom that has been impressive.

Starting QB Kurt Warner has regained his swagger, which may be bad news for the remaining defenses on the schedule and perhaps a little dagger to the heart of the St. Louis Rams , who callously let him go and chose Marc Bulger instead.

He is throwing the ball with uncanny precision, enough so that he has actually elicited praise from the normally tight-lipped veteran wide receivers, Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard .

"Kurt is putting the ball exactly where he has to for me to make the catch," said Toomer, who caught five passes for 126 yards against Cleveland. "He is spreading it around so that one or two of us are usually clear. And because of what he's doing, I think our offense is getting an identity. We are aggressive. You can't load up on our running game and you can't load up on our passing game because we are balanced."

Hilliard, asked the difference between this year's offense and last year's 4-12 disaster, said: "Number 13. It all starts with him."

The secret, of course, is two-fold: The Giants must continue to see the offensive line improve and, at the same time, they must stay away from injuries.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: The Giants on Kurt Warner

They now know what some of us knew about KW. really glad to see him doing well!Also glad for MB as well!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    They now know what some of us knew about KW. really glad to see him doing well!Also glad for MB as well!
    Agreed...However, I believe the Giants are now 3-1!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's definitely benefitting from the type of gameplan they run up in New York. Good for him!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    He's definitely benefitting from the type of gameplan they run up in New York. Good for him!
    Right, by letting him play!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

On the nose Rebel,On the nose!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

They beat Cleveland, Washington, and the Packers with Farve on the sidelines. It isn't like Warner is tearing up the stats like he did here in STL his first few years. Yes, he is having success and for that I'm glad for him. However, his skills for the type of offense the Rams run had eroded. Good for him though, hope he keeps it up.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Good for him though, hope he keeps it up.
    Just when I thought he had turned the corner on curious decision-making, KW took two sacks where he was outside the tackles and could have thrown it away, he threw it into triple coverage in the endzone for an unwarranted INT, and he slid at the goalline trying to spare himself from further injury. Those type of decisions don't inspire confidence regardless of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    Right, by letting him play!
    Wrong, by putting him in a controlled offense where he isn't throwing the ball 45 times!

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Just when I thought he had turned the corner on curious decision-making, KW took two sacks where he was outside the tackles and could have thrown it away, he threw it into triple coverage in the endzone for an unwarranted INT, and he slid at the goalline trying to spare himself from further injury. Those type of decisions don't inspire confidence regardless of the team.
    He's also put up a 68.9 QB rating against the blitz.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Kurt's QB rating is 93.8 not to shabby considering the state of the Giants O-line and the conservative nature of the Giants offense. It ranks him #8th among QBs this year. :ramlogo: His NFL average is 97, so I think he's about on par with past performance

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    Kurt's QB rating is 93.8 not to shabby considering the state of the Giants O-line and the conservative nature of the Giants offense.
    I think it's the conservative nature of the offense that's helped Warner. He's not taking the kind of risks he took with St. Louis. They're playing smart, controlled ball in New York, limiting the amount of times he has to drop back in the pocket because of their strong running game. You make it sound like he's put up this rating despite a limiting offense, but I think it's the offense itself that's helped him put up his numbers.

Sort of the same reason why Manning will finish the year with a high total in passing yards. His offense dictates that he passes a lot, so logically if he plays well, he's going to be near or at the top in that category. Just like Jamal Lewis was able to approach the single-season running record last year; he ran the ball 387 times. As long as the Giants aren't making Warner drop back in the pocket fifty or more times a game and basically telling him to go win the game for them, I think he'll do well, and I think a part of that is skill and another part is system.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-05-2004 at 01:42 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Can we have a thread on James Hodgins? How about Jeff Zgonina? Or maybe Robert Holcolmbe? Oooh, maybe a rousing debate on whether we were wrong to let Fred Miller go... or Ryan Tucker... or even... dare I say... Az Hakim.

Hey, I started a thread about Lamar Gordon. I'm only one man! Someone has to help me!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Can we have a thread on James Hodgins? How about Jeff Zgonina? Or maybe Robert Holcolmbe? Oooh, maybe a rousing debate on whether we were wrong to let Fred Miller go... or Ryan Tucker... or even... dare I say... Az Hakim.
    If there were interest on any of those players, this "General NFL Talk" forum would be a great place to have a thread like that. However, since there is currently no interest in those players and there is, in fact, interest in Kurt Warner, for various reasons, then there really shouldn't be a problem with threads dealing with Kurt Warner, should there?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast