ramhard is offline Registered User

Give Seattle it's due - on FA

Going into the FA period, everyone was howling at how bad a position Seattle was in with all their players. Well not only have they been able to keep the core of players they've wanted, they've actually been able to sign a player the Rams couldn't afford.

They resigned Hasselback -QB, Jones - LT, Womack -RT/G, and signed Fischer, was able to keep Alexander though looking for trade, did lose Lucas.

All in all a pretty good job.

general counsel Guest

Re: Give Seattle it's due - on FA

I agree, but they still have not addressed their problems at wide receiver, which is really holding them back.

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes and no.

If I were a Hawk fan I'd be pleased that the key players were re-signed, but a bit concerned that they did not leave enough to improve the defense, which was their downfall. So far, they've lost Simmons, Lucas and Okefor, and gained Bryce Fisher.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Going into the FA period, everyone was howling at how bad a position Seattle was in with all their players. Well not only have they been able to keep the core of players they've wanted, they've actually been able to sign a player the Rams couldn't afford.

They resigned Hasselback -QB, Jones - LT, Womack -RT/G, and signed Fischer, was able to keep Alexander though looking for trade, did lose Lucas.

All in all a pretty good job.
    They did indeed manage to sustain their big 3 and Womack. That's better than I thought they would do. But that only keeps their offense at status quo. Meanwhile they lost several pieces to their defense w/o much to take the place. They were 9-7 and don't look that good now.

But hats off to them for getting their big 3 signed. I figured 2 at best.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

where is Simmons now?

Simmons not a big lost

LB Simmons not a big loss, he's been injured most of the time and hasn't really contributed, he was their first cut. I don't think he has signed on with anyone, and the Seahawks signed Kevin Bentley from the Brown to replace him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If I were a Hawk fan I'd be pleased that the key players were re-signed, but a bit concerned that they did not leave enough to improve the defense, which was their downfall. So far, they've lost Simmons, Lucas and Okefor, and gained Bryce Fisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    They did indeed manage to sustain their big 3 and Womack. That's better than I thought they would do. But that only keeps their offense at status quo. Meanwhile they lost several pieces to their defense w/o much to take the place. They were 9-7 and don't look that good now.
    Exactly how I feel. Compared to last year, their team is worse. Not sure if I'd be pleased if I'm a Seattle fan, but I would be happy about securnig Hasselbeck and Jones.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bluengreen is offline Registered User

>where is Simmons now?

He's made a couple visits but hasn't signed anywhere yet. He's a phenomenal athlete but has been injured a lot; if he can stay healthy he could be a good pickup for someone at the right price (read: much less than the 'Hawks were paying for him).

But losing him doesn't impact our D as much as you might think, he didn't play much last year and our main back up missed the whole season due to a botched surgery.

We still do have some work to do, a CB, a WR, maybe a MLB. It's true that we're a bit tight against the cap at the moment after all the signings we've made, but we do have some contracts we can restructure.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with our offseason so far, especially since it's been done in large part without a front office.

Grass is greener - there view

Well I agree, but I could see them looking at the Rams and saying the same thing:

signed Clairborne/Coakley/ kept Pace, lost Fischer/Edwards could lose Little, Arch uncertain, Pisa at SS

so they could say (I think they are wrong) that our defense is only slightly better losing Fischer, Arch hurt, Pisa untried at SS, losing Edwards

Worse on OL with the retirements etc.

I think both teams need a good draft and at least one more good FA signing.

Kelly Herndon

And not to beat a dead horse but they just signed Bronco's RFA Kelly Herndon to a deal and are seeing if Denver matches.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Kelly Herndon

Great signing by Seattle. Not sure if Herndon fills Lucas's shoes, but he'll be a solid player for them if Denver doesn't match.

Kind of a no brain decision too, since Denver would get no compensation if they didn't match. Why not try and sign the guy?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Nick, Good pic! And a good day all in all!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Kelly Herndon

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    And not to beat a dead horse but they just signed Bronco's RFA Kelly Herndon to a deal and are seeing if Denver matches.
    Good call, RH. However, unless the offer is Postonesque, I would bet the farm that Denver will match.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

It looks like it's a 5-year, $15mil deal with a $4.5mil signing bonus. Doesn't seem to pricey so I wouldn't be surprised if Denver matches.