Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By general counsel

Thread: From the "Glad we didn't sign him" files

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

From the "Glad we didn't sign him" files

Mike Wallace finished his first game with the Dolphins with 1 catch for 15 yards.

That's bad enough, given what he was paid, but what makes it infinitely worse is that he was openly seething about his lack of targets after the game... despite the fact that Miami won 23-10.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: From the "Glad we didn't sign him" files

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Mike Wallace finished his first game with the Dolphins with 1 catch for 15 yards.

That's bad enough, given what he was paid, but what makes it infinitely worse is that he was openly seething about his lack of targets after the game... despite the fact that Miami won 23-10.
    Yeah it has not looked good all preseason. Its early I'm sure he will get going but I was clearly on record about that kind of cash for any WR in FA. Gibby had a nice game 77 yards!

Greg Jennings only had 33 yards.

Sounds we got a bargain for Cookie.

Mike Wallace upset after quiet Miami Dolphins debut

By Chris Wesseling

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace was in no mood to chat after being used as a $60 million decoy in Sunday's 23-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns.

Wallace got his wish in drawing Joe Haden as a shadow corner; he promptly was limited to 15 yards on one reception.

"I don't want to talk. I don't feel like talking about it," Wallace said, via The Palm Beach Post. "Ask Coach. It's not my game plan."

The extra attention paid to Wallace freed up Miami receivers Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson for a combined 16 receptions and 191 yards. It's still surprising that Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman failed to call a screen or a slant to get the ball in his best playmaker's hands.

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill attributed Wallace's meager output to double coverage that caused him to look elsewhere in his progressions.

"I've been there playing receiver back in the day when the defense takes you away and it's frustrating," said Tannehill, a receiver early in his Texas A&M days. "But by them taking him away, it really opened up Gibson and Hartline to make plays."

That's the key. The Dolphins were counting on Wallace's ability to draw extra defensive attention when they shelled out the big bucks in March.

Wallace might be miffed, but the plan worked out just fine against a nasty Browns front seven Sunday.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's crap like this that makes me want to punch WR's in the mouth. Numbnuts, you occupied their best cover man AND a second defender all day. That attention allowed the rest of the offense to open up, and win by 13. You did your job. Now shut up and get ready for next week.

You. Are NOT. Bigger. Than the TEAM!!!
    macrammer likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Randart is offline Registered User

He has been percieved as a me first type of guy, and many recievers are... No surprises here.
    Great recievers with great attitudes do keep working even against triple coverage to try to provide a target for their QB's... Mike has alot to learn about being great in any team sport! If I am his Head Coach I am in his ear soon as I hear this crap, but they all have their own style of coaching.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Which makes the Rams long standing tradition of unselfish, low ego superstar wide receivers all the more impressive- Jim Benton, Crazylegs Hirsch, Tom Fears, Jack Snow, Henry Ellard, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Honorable Mention to Harold Jackson, Del Shofner, Jim Phillips and probably Flipper.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Which makes the Rams long standing tradition of unselfish, low ego superstar wide receivers all the more impressive- Jim Benton, Crazylegs Hirsch, Tom Fears, Jack Snow, Henry Ellard, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Honorable Mention to Harold Jackson, Del Shofner, Jim Phillips and probably Flipper.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yes sir! I hope we can add Chris Givens to this list one day. All he did Sunday was take the Cards defense and back them off so other guys could take advantage of it. He only had two catches but had an impact and was happy the team won. This is why I wanted no part of Wallace in the off season.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Mike Wallace doesn't know the definition of "Team".