Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Goodell: NFL doesn't expect uncapped season in 2010

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

NFL owners are formulating a strategy to begin negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union, but commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday he expects a new deal will be in place before next March, when the salary cap is set to expire.

"I don't believe that will be the case," Goodell said when asked about the possibilities in an uncapped season in 2010. Owners opted out of the current CBA last year, which will trigger the end of the salary cap if no new deal is reached before next March.

Owners' priorities in the negotiations will include having the costs for building and operating stadiums recognized by the players and instituting a salary cap for rookies, Goodell said in a news conference at the NFL's annual meeting in Dana Point, Calif.

There is no timetable yet for when negotiations on a new CBA will begin. Goodell met with new NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith Friday for the first time.

The economy is hurting the league's revenue streams, and Goodell said the ramifications will have an effect on the negotiations. Money from sponsorships and licensing is down, and the league is concerned about the possibility for reduced ticket sales in 2009.

"The challenging times make it even more difficult," Goodell said. "But all that has done is accentuate the negatives of the current agreement.

"It's definitely hitting us on the revenue side, and meanwhile costs are going up."

The league is not going to consider lifting TV blackouts for games that do not sell out, said Goodell, who added that is a longstanding NFL policy he will not give up. But the league realizes fans and sponsors have less disposable income and will find ways to "create more value" for consumers.

"We're going to have to work harder, be more creative and respond to our fans' needs," Goodell said. "Not only this year but for a considerable time."

Among other topics Goodell addressed:

A proposal to play more than one Bills home game per season in Toronto has not crossed the commissioner's desk. "That's something that would have to be approved by the membership," Goodell said. "It has not been presented to me."

The owners discussed a potential change to a 17- or 18-game regular season on Monday, but Goodell said the earliest a new schedule would arrive would be 2011. Such a change would require modified contracts with the league's television partners and the approval of the players' association.

Goodell reiterated that the NFL will not open up its financial records for inspection during the collective bargaining process. The players are familiar with the owners' revenues and most of their expenditures, including player costs that approach $4.5 billion, Goodell said. "I think they have a pretty good understanding of our economics," the commissioner said of the players' union. "But that's not the issue. The issue is trying to get an agreement that works and continues to grow the game."

The NFL Network is not losing money, Goodell said, despite not being carried to a widespread audience by TV providers such as Comcast. Goodell said the league would wait out the stalemate with the cable TV giant and would not accept the network being placed on a subscription sports tier. "We are going to be patient and determined," Goodell said, "and we're going to make sure it gets the broadest possible exposure."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Goodell: NFL doesn't expect uncapped season in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

The NFL Network is not losing money, Goodell said, despite not being carried to a widespread audience by TV providers such as Comcast. Goodell said the league would wait out the stalemate with the cable TV giant and would not accept the network being placed on a subscription sports tier. "We are going to be patient and determined," Goodell said, "and we're going to make sure it gets the broadest possible exposure."
    This is a little confusing to me. I'm not quite sure what Goodell means by this?

I have Comcast and I have the NFL Network.

The NFL Network channel was free as long as you signed up for basic cable until around June of 2008. Then Comcast made it a pay channel. I had to change my cable package to get the NFL Network.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I don't trust Goodell's word on this. I'd have to hear it from more people before I believed there was a shot at it.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

As long as John Shaw is leading the NFL's negotiating efforts, I'm expecting an uncapped 2010.