r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Hasselbeck 'Is Responding'

Hasselbeck 'is responding'

BY JIM THOMAS
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:00 am

With no less than a division title and a playoff berth at stake, Seattle coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks are doing everything possible to get injured quarterback Matt Hasselbeck into the lineup Sunday against the Rams.

"We've got a variety of things we're working on, trying to speed this thing along right now," Carroll said. "Matt is responding, and in his mind there's nothing that's going to keep him from playing. But we're going to have to wait and see."

Any exotic treatments?

"We might be calling for a 'laying of the hands' here if other things don't work," Carroll joked. "I've got some old friends down in the Bay Area that I can call in."

Considering that Hasselbeck's injury is in the hip and, uh, gluteus maximus area, Carroll must have some really good friends down in San Francisco. But even if Hasselbeck doesn't have buns of steel by the end of the week, Carroll says the three-time Pro Bowler is determined to play.

"It's really going to be against the odds if he can pull it off," Carroll said on a Wednesday conference call. "But he's not hearing any of it, and we'll just go day to day. We had to totally rest him today and then tomorrow he'll do some stuff."

If there's anybody on the Seahawks' roster capable of playing with limited or no practice reps, it's Hasselbeck, a 12-year pro who this season became Seattle's career leader in passing yards, attempts and completions.

"Matt has been through it all," Carroll said. "He's actually in really good condition and good shape otherwise, and so I would think this is a guy that could pull this off. He'll get some walk-through stuff and all that, and if that works out so he can play, then he'll at least have been through all the mental stuff."

After seeing Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel rise from the dead just 11 days after an appendectomy, the Rams won't be surprised in the least to see Hasselbeck under center Sunday.

But if not, it's Charlie Whitehurst, who before being traded to Seattle last offseason had not thrown a single regular-season pass in four seasons with San Diego.

"We invested in him for a reason," Carroll said. "We thought we saw something really special in his ability to run, the ability to move around, and he has a big arm. He's been a great presence around us as far as working with Matt and working with coaches because of his work habits. He's diligent about it, he really cares, he's a good communicator, he's got a good relationship with players on the team."

He just hasn't played. Whitehurst, 28, made his first NFL start in place of the injured Hasselbeck (concussion) on Nov. 7 against the New York Giants. The results were less than stellar: 12 of 23 for 113 yards, with one touchdown pass and two interceptions in a 41-7 loss.

He has since appeared in three games, including the final 3˝ quarters last week in Tampa Bay following Hasselbeck's injury. Whitehurst completed 11 of 18 throws against the Buccaneers, but none went for more than 15 yards and the Seahawks managed only one first down during his first six series in the game.

"He just hasn't had enough time to really figure out where his game is," Carroll said..

As for Hasselbeck, despite all his accomplishments in 10 seasons with the Seahawks, including an appearance in Super Bowl XL against Pittsburgh, he hasn't been the people's choice lately in Seattle.

He has thrown 17 interceptions and only 12 TD passes this season, and entering the Tampa Bay contest had committed 13 turnovers in his past four games. Seahawks fans were chanting "Char-lie, Char-lie" during the Seahawks' most recent home game, Dec. 19 against Atlanta.

Cornerback Ron Bartell, one of the veterans of the Rams' secondary, said he couldn't care less who starts Sunday for the Seahawks.

"Of course, Matt is a more seasoned veteran, so he has a better feel for the offense I guess you could say," Bartell said. "But at the end of the day, who cares who's at quarterback? We have a job to do. I still have to go cover. I still have to go tackle. I really don't care who the quarterback is."

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Hasselbeck 'Is Responding'

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Cornerback Ron Bartell, one of the veterans of the Rams' secondary, said he couldn't care less who starts Sunday for the Seahawks.

"Of course, Matt is a more seasoned veteran, so he has a better feel for the offense I guess you could say," Bartell said. "But at the end of the day, who cares who's at quarterback? We have a job to do. I still have to go cover. I still have to go tackle. I really don't care who the quarterback is."
    There is an extent to not caring who the QB is. Although he is right that he still needs to do his job, being aware of who the QB is, is pretty important.

Are you playing against statue Chad Pennington or shifty Michael Vick?

Are you playing against seasoned veteran Peyton Manning who knows all the tricks of the trade, or are you playing against Tim Tebow with a ridiculous throwing motion?

By being aware of who the QB is, you can adjust your game a little bit to have a better match-up against the QB.

For example, if you're playing a rookie QB with little experience, taking some gambles or giving him different looks or reading his eyes can decide a game.

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

Too bad the Rams didn't respond against the Seaparakeets. It's obvious the players need earplugs playing up there. They also need healthy elite receivers so Bradford can throw with confidence and of course better O-linemen to open up (and keep open) holes for Steven Jackson. He could use a good back-up as well.

I'm never happy with a loss, but with less holes to fill, watch out for next season.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Simply AMAZING! Hassalbeck waits till the end of the year to pull off a gem! Gives proof that WEST is still the best! Shoudda been the Rams, but its nice to see the 'hawks rep our division well. Seattle wanted that game more than the Saints.
    Never let a 7-9 record fool you!
    Rock on Hasselbeck, Pete and da Hawks!
    Let 'em know 'bout the WEST!!
    MAYBE THE RAMS CAN DO THE SAME IN NEXT YEARS PLAYOFFS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]