Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BBlades89 is offline Registered User

Re: Hawks sign Peterson

Don't get me wrong, I really like Alexander. He does get hit (who in the NFL doesn't). But you have to admit, he's not Steven Jackson. While he will lower his shoulder, he will also hit the deck/go out of bounds. Nothing against SA, it's the way he runs.

Nice Jacket

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BBlades89
    The next two years are around what we paid for him last year, and it does go up, but his SB will be paid by year 4 if I remember correctly (maybe it's 5), so if they want to cut him after that there will be no dead money.
    Um, unless it's some special kind of clause in the contract, then the signing bonus is prorated over the length of the deal. Had there been no extension to the CBA, then it would have only been over four years, because those were the terms of the previous CBA. But my understanding is that things are back to normal thanks to the CBA extension, and his bonus is prorated over the entire eight years, resulting in accelerated charges if he is cut. Most of the articles that reported Alexander's signing did so prior to the CBA extension, so they're speaking on the condition of no new deal being in place.

I still don't see what's cap friendly about it, though. As you showed, your team is not getting significant cap relief in the initial years, which is typically what you see with new contracts - lower salaries with bigger paydays toward the back end. But obviously Alexander wanted to be paid sooner rather than later, and thus the Seahawks agreed to a deal that didn't offer them a lot of relief in the immediate future. They were lucky in that they had a fair amount of cap room and didn't need the relief, but that still doesn't make the deal cap friendly for the Hawks.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The bottom line is that the Hawks are taking big gambles here. If Alexander or Petersen has a serious injury or just decline in performance with age, they could end up with a lot of dead money.

I can't say that I blame them. When you're one step away from a championship, you're going to take risks to get to the top.

But it might come back to bite them later.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The bottom line is that the Hawks are taking big gambles here. If Alexander or Petersen has a serious injury or just decline in performance with age, they could end up with a lot of dead money.

I can't say that I blame them. When you're one step away from a championship, you're going to take risks to get to the top.

But it might come back to bite them later.
    Agree completely. It seems like they're kind of mortgaging the future to try and make another championship run. Which kind of makes sense, given how Holmgren is kind of wishy washy about his future after 2006. You can't blame them, but obviously these big year deals (nevermind the ones they already have Hasselbeck and Jones signed to) are going to catch up with them down the road.

I agree Avenger, when you're this close, go for broke. However, it will suck if it backfires.

Also, Nick, the way I said it is the way it was explained to me (I'm no cap genius, lol). I'll have to double check on the SB.

Nice Jacket

general counsel is offline Registered User

Large ant and bennie b, just curious, hindsight being 20-20, who would you have rather had, witherspoon for 13 mill or peterson for the 18 mill.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I think you know the answer to that

Nice Jacket

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Great. Just another weapon to kill us.
    RamsFan16

Rambos is offline Registered User

Alexander has to be very unhappy right about now. It all starts up front, I'm glad Hutchinson got away and now they over pay for Peterson, it's a win, win. Teams that fall short in the SB or think they are close start to make poor choices, ea. T.O to the Eagles.

moklerman is offline Registered User

The images and impression I have burned into my memory of Peterson are from his earlier days in SF. He was a monster and there were times, it seemed, that he was single-handedly shutting down the Rams. So, my initial reaction was "uh-oh".

However, Peterson's been going through a lot with his injuries and really hasn't been the same player. A large part of this is due to SF's overall lack of talent I'm sure, but I think he's lost a step or two with the achilles injury. Maybe not, I don't keep track that closely but I don't remember him making any big plays or being dominant in general the last couple of years(vs. Rams and or Cardinals).

I think he'll be a good addition to Seattle but I'm still not convinced Seattle was anything more than a paper champion last year. The NFC West was crippled by key injuries and the playoff run wasn't the toughest row to hoe. So, as much as I don't want to see a division opponent improve their roster, I don't know that this is anything that will put Seattle in a better position than they are now. The tradeoff between the defense getting potentially better is worth the offense getting worse by losing Hutchinson.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant
    Who's always the most overpaid player in the league? The guy that just signed with a rival team. LOL

By the way, the Vikings seriously overpayed for Hutchinson.
    The Vikings need to protect...who is going to be their QB again?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BBlades89
    I agree Avenger, when you're this close, go for broke. However, it will suck if it backfires.

Also, Nick, the way I said it is the way it was explained to me (I'm no cap genius, lol). I'll have to double check on the SB.
    I agree. This is the NFL. There is no tomorrow, you have to win TODAY!!!

As has been said, both the SA and JP signings were big risk / big reward. Maybe you have locked up a top-tier RB for the rest of his career, or maybe his 3rd decade hits like a ton of bricks and he falls off. Maybe they signed one of the best OLBs in the league, maybe they signed an Achilles time-bomb waiting to go off.

Either way, at this point, while they're on top, they have to make these signings. From our perspective, they overpaid and put too many eggs in one basket. However, we're re-building from the bottom up. From their perspective, they're trying to get "over the top"......that final piece that brings the picture in focus.

Maybe they did it, maybe they didn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    The Vikings need to protect...who is going to be their QB again?
    Excellent question.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Large ant and bennie b, just curious, hindsight being 20-20, who would you have rather had, witherspoon for 13 mill or peterson for the 18 mill.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Taking the money out of the equation, I'd say I'd want Peterson more although I believe they're both quality LBs.

Now putting the money back in, I've got to tell you my theory on "overpaying". Fact of the matter is, none of us really care about the cash that either of these guys got, right? I mean, it's not coming out of our pockets so we've got to get past the "Wow, that's a lot of money!!" factor. For anybody but the owner cutting the check, it's all about the cap.

That being said, when evaluating whether you "overpaid" for someone, it all comes down to whether spending that money on the player is going to put you in a position where you can't do the other things you want to do in signing players, right? So looking at the Wistrom contract for a minute, we would probably all agree that he was "overpaid" even when you consider his production over the past two years. But here's my thing: We needed a DE and we had the money. Where's the harm? Wistrom is already two years into his deal which means that $7M of his $14M bonus is already off the books (when he signed you could prorate over only 4 years). And how are we doing on cap? Did it kill us? Right now after signing Jones, Hasselbeck, Alexander and Peterson to large, long term deals as well as all of the other FAs we've signed these past two years, we've still got about a $9M surplus left to spend this year.

My point is, back when we were saying "The Seahawks overpaid for Wistrom", the implication was that we'd end up paying for such a foolish contract. We could cut him at the end of next year and the price we'd have to pay would be $3.5M in dead money. That's not a big hit for such a hefty contract. I say if you have the money to spend and you can manage your cap well through the life of that contract, then get the player you need even if you have to spend a bit more. I just find it hard to believe in the threat of cap hell when the Redskins keep signing free agents year after year and we never see them hit the wall that everybody keeps saying is coming. It's called good cap management. The Redskins have it and the Titans don't.

Did we overpay for Peterson? Yeah, by conventional terms I think we did. But we could afford it so really what difference does it make? We got a great player and I don't think it will put us in "cap hell". Works for me. I'd rather be a team that spens heavily on trying to win then one that is afraid to spend money because they're worried that five years now they'll be in trouble (like the Cardinals). I say, if you're a perennial loser, you're already in trouble.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

I mean, it's not coming out of our pockets
    Technically it is if you purchase tickets or other merchandise. I spend a good bit of money on Rams merchandise and tickets each year, so I would hope they'd use that money wisely.

I just find it hard to believe in the threat of cap hell when the Redskins keep signing free agents year after year and we never see them hit the wall that everybody keeps saying is coming. It's called good cap management. The Redskins have it and the Titans don't.
    Um, the Redskins were at $109 million as of March 1st, which put them largely over the projected non-CBA cap and still put them over any cap brought about after the CBA. They had to cut a number of veterans to make space, including Cory Raymer, Walt Harris, Matt Bowen, and Brandon Noble.

The bottom line is this kind of spending does catch up with you. If your team is of the "win now" mentality, then I guess it doesn't matter. But if you want to try and build a team that's going to be competitive for years and won't have to go into the kind of purging that teams like the Titans have to, then I don't think the kind of spending the Seahawks are engaging in is all that wise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast