txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Heart of Dick Vermeil

Was watching a special on Dick Vermeil yesterday on the NFL Network and it was rather touching. He still calls players he used to coach IN HIGH SCHOOL to see if they are ok or if there is anything else he can do for them.

A prominent figure in the piece was Tony Banks. Banks was saying how Vermeil never gave up on him and that he owed DV alot. So did Kevin Carter, Ricky Proehl, heck just about everyone that played for Vermeil. Honestly, I think this is one of those things that makes and breaks Vermeil as a coach. Yes, he has a huge heart but his heart leads him sometimes when his brain should. If it wasn't for Martz, Banks would have been the QB in 1999.

It's refreshing though to see such a lovable person in this sarcastic world we currently live in.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: The Heart of Dick Vermeil

TX, I have seen that in the past as well as yesterday. How about one of his ex players that wrote him that letter ? Sabol asked him if he would tell him what he wrote.... thought DV was gonna lose it completely.

Nice piece !

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Was watching a special on Dick Vermeil yesterday on the NFL Network and it was rather touching. He still calls players he used to coach IN HIGH SCHOOL to see if they are ok or if there is anything else he can do for them.

A prominent figure in the piece was Tony Banks. Banks was saying how Vermeil never gave up on him and that he owed DV alot. So did Kevin Carter, Ricky Proehl, heck just about everyone that played for Vermeil. Honestly, I think this is one of those things that makes and breaks Vermeil as a coach. Yes, he has a huge heart but his heart leads him sometimes when his brain should. If it wasn't for Martz, Banks would have been the QB in 1999.

It's refreshing though to see such a lovable person in this sarcastic world we currently live in.
    here here to D.V. hes awesome
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

BobNWeave is offline Registered User

I'm no Martz basher, nor am I a Martz apologist, but give my Vermeil over Martz any day.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

BNW, I love Vermeil but I do believe Martz is better. What has Vermeil done since Martz? Not much. What has Martz done since Vermeil? Four playoff appearances in five years.

When the Rams lose Martz will be the only way most of you will realize what a blessing it was to have him

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

Sorry I think Martz is a offensive coordinator, not a head coach. Vermeil is a wonderful coach who need's good OC. I do not like the way Martz changed his calling from his OC when Vermeil was coach, no trickery. They (Rams) are just another team with some great player's. Nothing special like we saw in 1999.
    "Championship's are won with defense" :angryram: