Thread: Hello folks....

sfninerfan98 Guest

Hello folks....

This is my first post...

So I see a lot of haters here RE the *****... Fair enough... this is your Zone....

I do, however, come in here with no malice, just to see the other teams points and to talk civilly about each others team....

In that regard, how do you all think the West as well as the NFC pans out?
    Last edited by sfninerfan98; -07-12-2006 at 01:19 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Hello folks....

Welcome sfninerfan98. As you have requested civil talk, I will do two things:

1. move this thread from smack (no holds barred) to the NFL forum (where civilized people talk)
    2. anyone from either side of the aisle that wants to turn this thread into smack will be deleted.

We should be able to talk civilly if so requested, as our new friend has in this case.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

In that regard, how do you all think the West as well as the NFC pans out?
    I think the West is still the Hawks for the taking. They have the best all-around team in the division. Their OL isn't as good, but their receiving corp is better. On the defense, the middle of their secondary is still a little shaky, but that's a solid D. I think they're the king of the mountain right now, and that includes the rest of the NFC. The East is getting a lot of hype right now, but I'm not ready to hand over the two WC spots to them just yet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sfninerfan98 Guest

True, true.... I have been following, or at least trying, dillegently thru the offseason to see who does well within our division.... you're right in saying that the Hawks are the owner of the mountain, per se.... I do see a lot of improvement in all faccet of our division too! I wouldn't be surprise to see the Cards compete with them till the end.... I like what your team did this offseason as well... but why change to a 3-4 allignment though???? your 4-3 was okay minus the interior....

I wouldn't be surprise to see the Cards compete with them till the end
    I know what you're saying, and I sort of agree. The Cards, on paper, are the best team in the league. But other than yahtzee games aren't played on paper. The Cards have been improving for years now, but only on paper. Maybe this is their year, but it will come down to their line. They have to be able to block, because Warner is fragile, and Leinert has never seen a pass rush, so who knows how he will react.
    but why change to a 3-4 allignment though???? your 4-3 was okay minus the interior
    I think the 3-4 talk is turning out to be more smoke than anything. Haslett's already stated we'll have a 4-3 base after getting through a couple of mini-camps. He's been talking about various hybrids, but I'd be surprised if we lined up in a 3-4 base.

As for you guys, I love what you've got going in the middle of your OL. Baas, Heitman, Allen, Smiley......that's solid in my opinion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

We're not going entirely to a 3-4. From what I've heard they're just talking about lining up that way part of the time. Our base D will still be 4-3.

Anyway, I agree the Seahawks are the team to beat in the West, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them have a down year. I think they'll make the playoffs but probably won't make it back to the Super Bowl...Cards are going to get offseason hype, but I think they'll struggle. They've got some great receivers, but I'm not convinced they can get to the playoffs with that o-line and defense...The ***** are in rebuilding mode; I just don't see them being a contender just yet with so much inexperience. Not trying to come down too hard here, but over half the roster has less than 3 years of experience...Then we've got the Rams. I'd like to think we can push the Hawks for the division crown. More likely if we make it to the playoffs, it's as a Wild Card team with a couple less wins than Seattle.

As for the rest of the NFC, I think the North still looks as weak as any division in the NFL. Three new head coaches, and I don't know if Chicago's defense can continue carrying them like that. The NFC South should be pretty competitive. Seems like most of those teams will likely be solid but not spectacular. The East looks good on paper. I'm not sold on Brunell and Bledsoe at QB for Washington and Dallas, though, and I really don't know what to expect from the Eagles. Still, there are some very good players and coaches in that division.

sfninerfan98 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I know what you're saying, and I sort of agree. The Cards, on paper, are the best team in the league. But other than yahtzee games aren't played on paper. The Cards have been improving for years now, but only on paper. Maybe this is their year, but it will come down to their line. They have to be able to block, because Warner is fragile, and Leinert has never seen a pass rush, so who knows how he will react.
    You're right about the Cards.... IT'S ONLY ON PAPER.... the one drawback I see in the Cards is their o-line... but they have vastly improved all over personel wise....

I think the 3-4 talk is turning out to be more smoke than anything. Haslett's already stated we'll have a 4-3 base after getting through a couple of mini-camps. He's been talking about various hybrids, but I'd be surprised if we lined up in a 3-4 base.
    Ahhh... kinda reminds me when Erickson said we'll be running the 3-4 only to scrap it 2 games into the season 2 years ago... But I do see where Haslett is coming from RE various HYBRIDS of the defensive scheme.... always good to see what works and what not...

As for you guys, I love what you've got going in the middle of your OL. Baas, Heitman, Allen, Smiley......that's solid in my opinion.
    Thanks for the kind words about our line because that was our MAJOR weakness last year.... It was so bad our QB didn't have a chance to succeed... With the addition of Larry Allen, though a little on "OLD" side, the return of Jeremy Newberry and Jonas Jennings, our left side is something else.... but you said it earlier... IT IS ALL ON PAPER.... I'm glad we are finally in the right side of track and with a capable management than where we were at 2 years ago..... Hopefully, our rivalry can hit it in stride like the good ol' dayz..... those were fun to watch...

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

The NFC South is gonna a hell of a rushing division. They have really good rushers.

Carolina- DeShaun Foster/DeAngelo Williams
    Saints- Reggie Bush/ Duece McAllister
    Falcons- Warrick Dunn/ TJ Duckett/ Micheal Vick
    Buccanears- Carnell Williams/ Mike Aslott

The NFC North is mostly a battle between 2 Teams Bears and Vikings. Brad Johnson is going to lose his touch and Vikings will fall appart. But the Bears offence is going to need to step up! Rex grossman has only played like 10 games. hes on the verge of becoming a decent starter but he dosnt have that great weapons.

The NFC East is going to be the Srongest Division in the NFC and they are going to be feared.

Eagles are going to improve cause of the signing of Darren Howard and the return of Donavan McNabb.

Cowboys offence have improved alot thanks to Terrell Owens.

Giants- Eli has more experience, Tiki is coming off of one of his best seasons ever! Giants are about the same as they are last year.

Redskins have improve thanks to the signings of WRs. They are about the same.

NFC West

Seattle's offence might have a down year with Hutchinson gone, But Nate burleson and Julian Peterson have been added. Still the one of the toughest team in the conference but they have to play harder than last year cause the NFC West has improved.

St. Louis is a great contendor for the NFC West Title. Offence has improved. Defence has improved in all areas. Rams offence have added what they havent had in a while. Audibles, and TEs. The defence has improved on the D-Line, Linbacker spots and DB positions. Rams will be tough to bring down this season.

Arizona- The offence has improved a lot. With draft pick Lienart and signing of James. The O-line still is a big need for this team. This team has almost become a contender but still doesnt have enough to win NFC West Title.

San Francisco- Offence is still mixed up. Draft pick Davis will help young QB Alex Smith but still they will sruggle.They lost Loyd but gained Bryant. They are still in the building process. But they are no contender this year.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Larry Allen still has a bit left in the tank. Age by itself is not a reason to question him. Robbie Tobeck and Chris Gray started all last year for us and they're both 35 years old, and we made it to the Super Bowl with them. Larry Allen is a year or two younger than that. Heck, after Hutch left, I was hoping we would get him! I was disappointed when not only did we not get him, he went to a division rival.

That said, I think our O-line has enough depth that having someone besides Hutch in at LG won't result in a noticeable drop-off. Alexander probably won't get 1880 yards again, and no way in hades do we take the division by seven games again, but I honestly don't see us losing much this year.

The Rams helped themselves a lot IMO by getting Witherspoon. The Cards helped themselves by getting Edge, but I think they're going to find that he's not the cure to their running woes. I still think getting him was a good move for them, but until they get their line situation figured out, he and they will be more frustrated than they counted on when he signed.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Providing the Seahawks don't fall into the Superbowl Loser slump, they are still the team to beat in the west. SF,AZ and STL will be knocking at the door.
    Should be a crazy season.

:ramlogo: