Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: ***** Hire Mike Martz

I think it's a great pickup by them. Hopefully not even Martz can solve these niners offensive problems...

HornIt is offline Registered User

This is great news for the Rams in two ways.

One, Martz has proven he can't do anything without Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt and Hakim in their primes with a solid O-line.

Two, it keeps Cam Cameron from the ***** who truly would have been a worrisome hire for them to Rams fans.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: ***** hire Martz as offensive coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Good news looks like, Cameron is not going to them...
    I just visited a Whiners fan site and the reception Mike is getting is luke-warm, to say the least. It's definitely a divided ship right now over there on this matter. About half like the deal, or are undecided, but the other half are horrified and extremely pissed off. It seems the majority of them wanted Cameron. They also wonder how Mike will use (or not use) Gore. One poster said something to the effect; "great, we bring in an OC that lives and dies with the pass, and we have no QB and no receivers".

...boy will they be pissed if we get Cameron. :sfosux:
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I think you've got it backwards, Nick.
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How was Faulk's fantasy value under Martz?
    Is a guy not aloud to make a joke every now and then? Jeez, tough crowd.

A few tidbits from a couple articles regarding Martz's plans in San Fran. First, from SI.com...

Tuesday night he [Martz] added that former No. 1 choice Alex Smith and impending free agent Shaun Hill will compete for the starting job, with the nod going to the one who "completes the ball the most." Smith completed just under 49 percent of his passes in 193 attempts last season, while Hill completed 68 percent of his in 79 attempts.
    And then a few interesting nuggests from SFGate...

Both Martz and Nolan mentioned the key player in the offense is not the quarterback, but Frank Gore. "To build that offense around Frank Gore is really exciting," Martz said.
    Martz was asked if he'd try to duplicate what he did with the Rams during the Greatest Show on Turf days. "I think what we do is pragmatic. I think the centerpiece is obviously Frank. He's playing at such a high level. You try to get everybody up to that level. ... To come in and say we're going to duplicate (St. Louis) is just wrong. It's just different people, a different situation."
    Martz said it wasn't his decision but that he'd like to keep offensive line coach George Warhop and receivers coach Jerry Sullivan. He has worked with Warhop and he called Sullivan the best receivers coach in the league and said he tried to hire Sullivan a couple of times.
    Someone want to get a response from Mr. Ellard?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I am a strict believer that if our OLine stays healthy, we could take any team in the NFC west.

Thats why I dont think Martz and Warner will be a problem if we stay healthy...

But hopefully this is good news for us. Thats one team we dont have to compete for when it comes to OC

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: ***** hire Martz as offensive coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I hope we don't have to see Bruce in that whiner red!
    thats what worries me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:\:\:\:\,
    "The breakfast Club"

moklerman is offline Registered User

I wasn't slammin' you Nick, just disagreeing. You're right, though, I didn't read your post as a joke.

I'm always intrigued at the prospect of watching Martz try to work his magic but the potential for ex-Rams going to the Niners certainly doesn't thrill me. It's bringing back memories of Wendyll Tyler and Hacksaw Reynolds.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Smith is not a good fit for the Martz system, and they don't have the personnel to run his 4 WR sets. At the same time, Gore will be wasted.

Nice to see the Niners are as messed up as we are.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

I Think Martz Belongs In San Francisco, He Always Seemed Kinda ........("FUNNY") If You Know What I Mean. very soft guy lol
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -01-09-2008 at 01:54 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    No, Nick, I know you're just foolin', and I'm not busting your balls. But there was a sincere knee-jerk reaction from other fans who believe Martz doesn't know how to use a RB. I'm just not sure I'm sold on that notion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    No, Nick, I know you're just foolin', and I'm not busting your balls. But there was a sincere knee-jerk reaction from other fans who believe Martz doesn't know how to use a RB. I'm just not sure I'm sold on that notion.
    It's not the runningback position he needs to worry about. He needs some receivers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    It's not the runningback position he needs to worry about. He needs some receivers!!!
    The scenario could play out that Bruce goes to San Fran.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

Martz is to coaching, what T.O. is to players...the good and the bad. Not sure how well his ego will fit in with the team.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Martz is to coaching, what T.O. is to players...the good and the bad. Not sure how well his ego will fit in with the team.
    San Francisco? Ego? I'd say it's a perfect fit.

moklerman is offline Registered User

http://*****.pressdemocrat.com/defau...em=728555&mode

Faulk says Martz's offense will 'blow your mind'
    The phone rang today and I didn't recognize the number on caller ID. Sometimes, it's best to just let the phone continue to ring and go into voicemail. In my business, that can be a horrible strategy.

After all, I placed a call to Marshall Faulk yesterday to speak about what the ***** - and their fans - can expect from the new offensive coordinator. I had almost forgotten I called Faulk, so I wasn't exactly expecting the call when the phone rang.

We spoke for about 15 minutes about Mike Martz, whom Mike Nolan hired yesterday to run bring some pizzazz to a moribund offense.

Few people know more about Martz's way of doing things than Faulk, who was in St. Louis for Martz's entire seven-year run with the Rams.

Faulk was a three-time Pro Bowl running back with the Indianapolis Colts. He developed into a potential Hall of Famer while with the Rams.

In 1999, Martz's first year with the Rams, Faulk joined the exclusive 1,000-1,000 club. He rushed for 1,381 yards and added 1,048 yards receiving. The *****' Roger Craig is the only other person in NFL history to accomplish that feat.

Faulk had a number of interesting things to say. He guaranteed the ***** will get much better quarterback play; he said Frank Gore is a unique back in the Martz system because of his prowess as an inside runner; and he said this will not be a 9-to-5 job for the *****' offensive players.

I'm writing an article for tomorrow's Press Democrat, based on my Q&A with Faulk. But, first, here is the transcript of our conversation:

Question: There has always been the talk that Mike Martz de-emphasizes the run game. Is that a fair knock on him?

Faulk: I don't know. You can look up my first three years with him before we lost a couple offensive linemen and our defense became a liability. I touched the ball a lot. What you have to look at is, what do you do to win ballgames? People feel you have to run the football to win ballgames. Until a team comes out and does what we did or what you see the Patriots doing, you realize that's not always the case. It's about winning ballgames. I think he's going to do whatever he feels needs to be done to win ballgames. If it's running 40, 50 times, he'll do it. If it's throwing 40, 50 times, he'll do that. He gets a bad rap for not running the ball. You look at it the situation. Sometimes it doesn't dictate running the ball a lot.

Question: Martz said Frank Gore will be the centerpiece, much the same way you were the centerpiece . . .

Faulk: What he loves to do and what he really enjoys doing is getting the running back involved because it's a tough position to cover a guy. When a receiver is a guy, they can take him out of the game. But a running back . . . especially if you have the capabilities of catching the ball out of the backfield, that means you play all three downs. You become a much more viable weapon within the scheme of things. I'm sure Frank will like the challenge, as far as what Mike is going to bring to the table and what they're going to ask of him. He's going to be asked to do a lot. I'm not just saying catching and running the ball, but also pass blocking and helping guys out. The running back position is the centerpiece of the offense.

Question: From what you've seen of Frank, how nice of a fit is he for Mike Martz's offense?

Faulk: I think for the both of them. This will be the first time Mike's had a back like Frank who is capable of running the ball inside as well as Frank does. So it's going to be a learning curve for him. Frank's probably never had an offensive coordinator who has asked him to know so many plays and know so much about the game in order for the team to be successful. There's going to be some pressure on Frank's shoulders to handle a lot of things and wear a couple of different hats for the team to have success. I believe, in knowing both of them, they're going to welcome each other. I think they'll probably have a great relationship. I'd be surprised if they don't.

Question: What kind of looks can Frank expect from defenses?

Faulk: Teams won't come into games playing eight and nine men in the box against Frank. You can believe that.

Question: How often did you face eight or nine in the box?

Faulk: Not often. It was very rare. Frank's going to have a lot to do with that, too. Because it's going to be his willingness to understand that some adjustments need to be made for him to have success.

Question: Did you have a great relationship with Mike?

Faulk: Yeah. We're friends now. I talk to him all the time. When I read about it yesterday, I called and congratulated him. Told him what I thought of the situation with the *****. I gave him my spiel on how I thought he'd help that team. He's a phenomenal offensive mind. The things they're going to do will blow your mind. It'll blow the players' minds - the things he's going to ask them to do.

Question: How would you expect Vernon Davis to be used?

Faulk: When you look at he's never had a tight end like that, but the position exists in the offense as the 'F' tight end, which is the third receiver. Vernon is going to really mature into that if - and that's if - he can pick it up and make the adjustments and do all the things that are necessary in order to allow the offense to function.

Question: How demanding is Martz as a coach? What do ***** players have in store for them?

Faulk: There is going to be a lot of hard work, and I'm not just talking about out on the field. I'm talking about when you leave for the day, taking film home, looking at your playbook. It's demanding. If you're not astute or you don't grind at it, it's going to be a problem. It's pretty simple. It's really not hard: He doesn't cater to the guy who can't learn. Who does, anyway?

Question: Are the quarterbacks held to a higher standard as far as the preparation that must be done?

Faulk: They are. You'll see a much better quarterback with the *****. I can guarantee that. The other thing is, in order to make the quarterback look like the quarterback you want him to look like, you got to make the guys around him better and more in tune with what the quarterback is thinking, so everybody has to understand what's going on. It's demanding. Everybody has assignments and at any point in time, you can call a formation and you can be a different person. You can become F, you can become X, Z, all that's interchangeable. So you don't just learn your position, you learn the entire system. The offense is a system.

Question: When you say we'll see a better quarterback are you talking specifically about Alex Smith?

Faulk: I'm talking about the quarterback position. You guys will have better play at the quarterback position, period.

Question: What do you expect from the *****' offense next season?

Faulk: I really can't answer that because I really don't know the intellectual makeup of that team. I know they have some really good players, but it's all going to boil down to how much can they take in, how much can they retain. Can they understand going into a game with 50 plays or 80 plays or do they have to go into a game with 25 plays? That's what limits you. It all depends.

Question: Are there any limitations on what the team can do in the first year?

Faulk: I don't think so because the parts are in place. There might be a couple players that you look for, but the parts are in place when you look at it. I think defensively, if those guys can get three-and-outs and get the ball back to the offense, the offense will have more of a chance to jell and be great. It'll be all on the players. How hard do they want to work? And how much do they want it? He's going to be there and he's going to provide it for them. It's going to be up to them to get it done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast