throwback week

sturgess77 Guest

Holt signed by the jags

Receiver Torry Holt and Jaguars agree to 3-year deal
    Contract could be worth as much as $20 million, but only $4 million is guaranteed

by Michael C. Wright

With the NFL draft five days away, the Jaguars jumped to an early head start on addressing their needs at receiver.

The team agreed to terms with 10-year veteran wide receiver Torry Holt on a three-year deal, according to sources.

The deal contract is worth $13 million, and can reach $20 million with incentives. It includes a base salary of $4 million (all guaranteed) for the upcoming season, in addition to salaries of $4 million and $5 million in 2010 and 2011.

The signing will lessen the need for the Jaguars to use the No. 8 pick in Saturdayís draft on a receiver, although the club could still decide to go in that direction because of the lack of depth at that position.

Holt caught 64 passes for 796 yards and three touchdowns for the Rams last season, but the club released him in March just days before it was due to pay the receiver a $1.25 million roster bonus.

The acquisition of Holt gives the club its first legitimate No. 1 receiver since the 2006 retirement of Jimmy Smith. With 869 catches, Holt ranks No. 11 on the NFLís all-time receptions list.

The Jags released first-round flop Matt Jones last month after he violated a plea agreement from a July 2008 drug charge, and decided not to re-sign former first rounder Reggie Williams. Dennis Northcutt and Mike Walker were the clubís top returning receivers for the upcoming season.

A seven-time Pro Bowl selection, Holt visited Tennessee earlier this month before deciding to join the Jaguars. Holt, who turns 33 in June, has been slowed by knee problems in recent years.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-20-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: no links

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Re: Holt signed by the jags

Good for Torry! I hope he does well, and helps lift the St Louis Stallions... er, I mean, Jacksonville Jaguars into the 2009 post season.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I wonder how much money he got compared to his deal with the rams. I think he overestimated his market value. Jacksonville isnt exactly center ring exposure wise and they arent on the verge of a superbowl either.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

thoey is offline Registered User

From the article:

The deal contract is worth $13 million, and can reach $20 million with incentives. It includes a base salary of $4 million (all guaranteed) for the upcoming season, in addition to salaries of $4 million and $5 million in 2010 and 2011.
    This space for rent...

Mooselini Guest

Good for Holt. Can't wait till Bartell shuts him down.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I wonder how much the Rams offered him if he would've stayed and renegotiated...bet it was real close to this. With Garrard at the helm and no solid #2 reciever Holt will still be getting double teamed and probably have the same or worse numbers than last year.

Contract could be worth as much as $20 million, but only $4 million is guaranteed

By Michael C. Wright

With the NFL draft five days away, the Jaguars jumped to an early head start on addressing their needs at receiver.

The team agreed to terms with 10-year veteran wide receiver Torry Holt on a three-year deal, according to sources.

The signing will lessen the need for the Jaguars to use the No. 8 pick in Saturdayís draft on a receiver, although the club could still decide to go in that direction because of the lack of depth at that position.

Holt caught 64 passes for 796 yards and three touchdowns for the Rams last season, but the club released him in March just days before it was due to pay the receiver a $1.25 million roster bonus.

The acquisition of Holt gives the club its first legitimate No. 1 receiver since the 2006 retirement of Jimmy Smith. With 869 catches, Holt ranks No. 11 on the NFLís all-time receptions list.

The Jags released first-round flop Matt Jones last month after he violated a plea agreement from a July 2008 drug charge, and decided not to re-sign former first rounder Reggie Williams. Dennis Northcutt and Mike Walker were the clubís top returning receivers for the upcoming season.

A seven-time Pro Bowl selection, Holt visited Tennessee earlier this month before deciding to join the Jaguars. Holt, who turns 33 in June, has been slowed by knee problems in recent years.

Ramer Guest

Good for Holt! I hope he does well in Jacksonville. I'm really glad he didn't land in the NFC West like Bruce.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sturgess77 View Post

by Michael C. Wright

My guess is that Holt won't make it to the 2nd year and definitely not the 3rd year of this contract.

As others have said he should have stayed home. Home being our St. Louis RAMS.

Alot of times you're better off with the Devil you know than the one you don't.