View Poll Results: When will Hawk fans get over this loss?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • When draft day approaches.

1 2.63%
  • Opening day next year.

3 7.89%
  • It will take a couple of years.

7 18.42%
  • Not until they win a Super Bowl.

11 28.95%
  • Not until the Sun goes cold, the Heavens crash, and life ceases to exist on this planet.

16 42.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: How long will it take until the Hawks to get over this loss?

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I am not trying to justify anything. This is a game, a simple game that has been mass marketed to the public. I see nothing wrong with talking about what could have happened if things were different. What purpose do we have here except to speculate on things that we don't have any control over?

I'll use a 93% chance of scoring if you like. Does that sound better?
    I'm not saying you specifically, and speculation is fine. But to hear Seattle fans tell it, the refs took all these points away from them, but in reality they were only in the end zone once when the refs called a penalty, and even that was a good call, he did push off, it was ticky tack and they aren't consistent in calling it, but it is a penalty.

You could go the complete opposite, Stevens down at the 1, next play Alexander fumbles, Hope picks it up and scores a Pitt TD. I guess my point is the refs can't take points away if you aren't even in the endzone.

BRUUUUUUUUCE

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I guess my point is the refs can't take points away if you aren't even in the endzone.
    The refs do not give or take points away in the literal sense, but their influence can change the score board. Certainly you can see that being on the 1 yard line is much better than being on the 18 yard line.

The Steelers defense was playing well and they did a nice job of stopping any scoring by Seattle after the questionable holding call backed Seattle up. It is not all about the refs. The Steelers had a good defensive day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It's hard to put a points figure on the swings of momentum that bad officiating can cause. I do think that the standard of officiating did affect the quality of the game, if not the outcome, and for that I resent it.

The reason I have sympathy for the hawks and their fans is that instead of knowing that they just getting their tails kicked, in what was an indifferent performance, they and their fans will always have this lingering sense of injustice which will never go away.

How do we feel about 36? Have we ever fully accepted it?

It's not media inspired hysteria about officiating either. I watched that game and was not happy about the officiating that I saw. It may have been 'properly' officiated, but it wasn't 'skillfully' officiated.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

It's not that the Steelers beat us, or that we lost the game, however you want to put it that sticks in our craw. It is the fact that all of the game changing calls went against one team. That every penalty that was called after the play started went against the Seahawks. That thee penalty yards for the hawks was something like 140 when you add in the yards lost on the plays to that yards assessed by the refs. That every time Seattle got close to scoring position the refs went out of their way to make sure that the Hawks did not get in the end zone. Did you know that after the first drive, the Steelers only had one penalty called on them...one. Is that ridiculous or what? Also all the judgement calls seemed to go against the Hawks. Whenever a penalty was thrown where a judgement was called for, that refs eyes invariably saw a Seattle foul. Never a Pittsburgh one. I do not mean to sound like a cry baby or a whiner, but I think that they were influenced somehow...

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

A little off topic here, or well really off topic, since I have not talked about how long at all.....sorry I am guilty of starting this tangent I think.
    :mask:

I play soccer in a reacreational league that is co-ed. The refs have a big influence on our games. Good refs and good calls keep the game fair and keep inappropriate actions off the field. The players that are good tend to get fouled and pushed around. Some players will resort to shoving people over or pulling shorts to stop a player. If the ref sets the tone early, and calls a few penalties, it stops. If they don't call the penalties, retaliation happens and both team get angry. Some of the games are not fun at all. Everybody is angry.

I remember one game where we played the team that had two of the commissioners playing on their team. It was horrible. We had two of our guys red carded that game. Red carded means an automatic ejection from that game and the following game with a player review required which may suspend the player for a longer time. Both of the red cards were bogus in my opinion. Their captain came over to our bench during the game and tried to explain how the calls were fair and then proceded to call us babies when we were calling to the ref to call the game fairly.

My mouth started running after the first red card and I had to leave the field after the second one because I could not control myself and I did not want to be part of it.

Anyway my point is that I agree with fat pang's quote.
    I do think that the standard of officiating did affect the quality of the game, if not the outcome, and for that I resent it.
    There is an art to calling a game. It is hard to define and you can get lost in arguing over the techical points of each call that is made. In order to have a fair game, the officials should not influence the game by calling inappropriate calls, being inconsistant with the rest of the season, or by calling questionable penalties on one team only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    It is the fact that all of the game changing calls went against one team.
    Jeramy Stevens fumbled but it was ruled incomplete.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgins
    about as long as it will take rams fans to get over sb 36, it varies

(never for me)
    It is definitely going to be harder to get over our loss in 36 then their's in 40. They can't be too heartbroken. It was The Bus, Wonderboy Roethlisbergr, and Cohwer's year.

In our loss, we lost by three points in the closing seconds and it ended our chance at a potential dynasty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123