TheCatch49 is offline Registered User

How many of you are from LA?

just curious. Im an east coast 9er fan who never really understood the ram/9er rivalry outside of typical division stuff. From what I gather, its mostly a norcal/socal thing. How many of you became ram fans when they moved? What makes you hate the niners if you arent from LA?

Im not trying to be diplomatic, nor am i trying to get you to like the *****, im merely trying to understand your perspective.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: How many of you are from LA?

I became a fan after the move to St.Louis. I may be admitting to heresy of some form and am currently looking for rampaging mobs as I say this, but I don't find the 49er hatred to be relevant to my perspective as a fan.

I hate plenty of teams that have beaten the Rams, but not the *****. I hate the Patriots (with a burning, ceaseless passion) and the Seachickens and usually just find myself laughing at the Cardinals, even if they do piss me off for beating us all the time. But I didn't grow up in an era (as a football fan anyway) in which the ***** were a huge problem for the Rams. Since I've been a fan, the Rams have usually handeled the ***** fairly effectively until late, but the ***** have done little to inspire me to hatred. If they had a tendency to beat us in playoff clinching games or the like I'd feel differently.

I believe the hatred stems largely from fans that date back to the California years who are old enough and have been football fans long enough to remember when they had ample reason to hate the team.

To them, it's relevant. To me, the Patriots are.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Growing up in England, nearly everyone I knew who took an interest in the NFL declared themselves a Niners fan, the gloryhunting meffs, so I despise them for that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Niners fans don't want to hear it, but your team flouted salary cap rules for years, leading to undeserved sustained success. The league ultimately caught up, but not until the Niners had become a "dynasty."

I have no beef with franchises like the Steelers who built dynasties the right way. Much harder to respect teams who used loopholes and underhanded tactics to gain an advantage (See, also, New England Patriots).

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Born in Iowa, but smuggled out here when I was three (dang forty years ago!) Avenger has a good start to why I hate them, not as much as I used to, but the cheating on salary cap was one reason. The next was the fans, and I am speaking of the ones here because I didn't have to travel before they moved. There were a bunch of bandwagoners that lived here when the switch started happening. The switch being when we started losing to the niners in the eighties and then into the ninties. We owned them during the 70's, but you cant deny the Montana/Rice accomplishments. The trouble was there were so many bandwagoneers and they were so arrogant. Add to that there is a natural hate between the two cities just because. They are a bunch of cheese eating, wine drinking, liberal hippies and we are a bunch of No Cal water guzzling, freeway packing, no class, polluting losers.

Other than that, I love Frisco!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

supachump is offline Registered User

I hate the niners, because I live here in the San Fran area and I get sick of hearing niner this and niner that. Whether it is a neighbor or the guy at the sports bar.

I lived in LA prior to SF. And then before that, I lived in St. Louis where I was born and raised. So, I've been to all three cities. But my hatred for the ***** didn't happen until I moved up here.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Steep Hills!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very good question Catch. Legit too. Thanks for visiting although not necessarily welcomed w/red carpet.

I think your team somehow followed the love-to-hate reputation that the Cowgirls made famous / infamous in the mid to late 70s. // Before that, I had a relative respect for the Friskies from the bay, the years of Ken Willard, Roland Lakes, Charlie Krueger, John Brodie.

BTW, I'm not from L.A.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-19-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: BTW

why do I hate the whiners? If you have to ask, to don't or wont get it.

or ........................

BECAUSE THEY ARE THERE.

TheCatch49 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Niners fans don't want to hear it, but your team flouted salary cap rules for years, leading to undeserved sustained success. The league ultimately caught up, but not until the Niners had become a "dynasty."

I have no beef with franchises like the Steelers who built dynasties the right way. Much harder to respect teams who used loopholes and underhanded tactics to gain an advantage (See, also, New England Patriots).
    so having the steel curtain abuse steroids is the right way?

I dont see how the ***** abused anything, walsh hired talent that was often over looked, like rice, montana and young.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheCatch49 View Post
    so having the steel curtain abuse steroids is the right way?
    Back then, it was a league-wide problem, not a Steelers issue.

I dont see how the ***** abused anything, walsh hired talent that was often over looked, like rice, montana and young.
    Typical Whiner fan revisionism.

Perhaps you forgot about little tidbits like this?

Policy and Clark Pay for Violations

Published: December 2, 2000
    Carmen Policy, the president of the Cleveland Browns, and Dwight Clark, the team's vice president, agreed yesterday to pay $600,000 for alleged National Football League salary-cap violations committed while they were with the San Francisco *****.
    The settlement calls for Policy to pay $400,000 and Clark $200,000.
    The principal issues involved provisions in quarterback Jim Druckenmiller's rookie contract, deals signed by linebacker Lee Woodall and tight end Brent Jones, and an agreement with quarterback Steve Young.
    ''Although there are many legal and factual differences of opinion over many of the issues, everyone connected with the matter agrees that this settlement is in the best interests of everyone involved, including the N.F.L.,'' Policy said in a statement.
    As part of the settlement, the ***** agreed to pay $300,000 and surrender two draft choices -- their fifth pick in the 2001 draft and their third selection in 2002.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I live almost half way, geographically, between the Bay are and the L.A. basin and have always been a fan of the L.A. teams.
    I have no idea what caused me to latch on to the Rams in my 'impressionable years', same thing I suppose with the Dodgers but as for the the NoCal nemesis (nemisi? What is the plural of nemesis, nemesises?) their fans were jerks back in the day. I was even sucker-punched by one, one day, because I mentioned his team had lost to mine. Yes, Kurt, I remember!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

LARAM is offline Registered User

I was born in Los Angeles, and grew up in the Orange County area. I went to schools in the Anaheim Hills and Villa Park area. Anaheim stadium was about 15 minutes from where I lived. I actually went to school with some of the children of ANGEL baseball players. But when it came to football, everyone was a Ram fan, some would fli flop and cheer for the Raider's. Then the ****** would start kicking butt. I remember many of my childhood friends jumping on the bandwagon....But not me......never.

When I was growing up in the early 80's, the Rams were the hometown team. Names I remember, Youngblood, Dickerson, Newsome, Gray, Anderson, Ellard, Everett. There was so much promise and hope in this era...... But then there were the *****. God Dam those *****, they would go at it twice a year, and sometimes the Rams would prevail. Sometimes they would both make it into the playoffs, but the ***** always seemed to ruin the season for the Rams.

I think there was one season where both the Rams and ***** made it to 10-0, or maybe it was 8-0, but regardless then they met, and the Rams would fall. It wasn't soon after that the Rams would fall into a decade long mess.

One day the Rams and ***** will be strong teams again. They will trade blows twice a year and maybe meet in a playoff game. Then those of you that never experienced the rivalry....will get to see what I am talking about. I look forward to this kind of season every year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Do you have to be from LA to hate a division rival with players and fans who have always been arrogant, condescending and full of themselves? Watching the clip of whiner players on the sidelines of a lopsided game in the late 90's laughing and mugging it up for the camera spouting their infamous "same old sorry ass Rams" line is all I need to put things into perspective.

I'm ready for a whiner beatdown tomorrow!